P1280 icp code

Ckaas13

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 Excursion with a P1280 ICP circuit low code that is stumping me. It started with a hard start/long crank and led into a running rough/no power. Inspected ICP sensor and connector and found damaged sensor and oil contamination in wiring pigtail. Replaced both with a Napa brand sensor and connector. Cleared codes and retested. Found code is still there. Plumbed in gauge to oil reservoir and checked low side oil pressure while cranking, found 50 psi. Plumbed in gauge to fuel filter housing and found base fuel pressure to be 60 psi while cranking. Found a ICP troubleshooting pinpoint test. Tested VREF and signals too ICP connector and found within spec. Disconnected PCM and ohm checked engine harness to PCM and found no issues. Monitored PIDS using FORSCAN. During cranking ICP is at 600 PSI, IPR is at 32%. After cranking for 65 seconds Engine finally started. ICP at 693 psi, IPR is at 28%, engine at 800 RPMS, total run time 1.5 minutes. If I shut the engine off and immediately try to restart it just cranks for probably 2 minutes and then starts but runs rough and tries to die. Im suspecting there is a short in the PCM itself but I would like to verify that for sure before I replace it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your duty cycle is x2 what it should be. The PCM is commanding the pump to compensate for a hydraulic shortcoming.
You can deadhead the pump to isolate the pump from injector Orings.
You can try a known good IPR.
You can verify a properly torqued pump drive gear if anybody has monkied with that.
In the past year, I’ve come across two trucks where the oil pain had been replaced. The person who replaced the pan used a bit too much RTV. Excess bead dropped into oil, seam around from awhile and eventually got sucked into the pickup screen cage. It looked like a coiled up grey snake in there. Low pressure reading was ok on testing but pressure won’t equate to flow.

Reaction score
51D12841-305D-4F07-83EB-8482BA5153D8.jpeg

Reaction score
You wrote that you were cranking for 65seconds. That will fry your starter. Never crank for more than about 8 seconds max and give it more than that too cool between cranks.
Just looking out for ya 🙂

Ckaas13

Reaction score
Your duty cycle is x2 what it should be. The PCM is commanding the pump to compensate for a hydraulic shortcoming.
You can deadhead the pump to isolate the pump from injector Orings.
You can try a known good IPR.
You can verify a properly torqued pump drive gear if anybody has monkied with that.
In the past year, I’ve come across two trucks where the oil pain had been replaced. The person who replaced the pan used a bit too much RTV. Excess bead dropped into oil, seam around from awhile and eventually got sucked into the pickup screen cage. It looked like a coiled up grey snake in there. Low pressure reading was ok on testing but pressure won’t equate to flow.
What’s the best way to deadhead the pump, buy the plug kit for the high pressure line? I just got a quote from ford on new sensors and pigtails for the IPR and ICP. HPOP was recently replaced so I will check the mounting hardware and gear. The engine was rebuild about 100,000 miles ago, if a plugged pickup screen was an issue wouldn’t you see it when checking the oil reservoir level after cranking/running?

Reaction score
If the screen got obstructed like the one in the photo, it will act up depending on how obstructive it is. It’s all about flow capability. Definitely more so when volume and pressure goes up.
The plug adapter kit is definitely the way to go for testing Orings and pump function.

Ckaas13

Reaction score
As of right now, the plan is to sell or part out the vehicle. I bought the truck with the intention of it being something simple but this has turned into a bigger project than I wanted. Thanks for all the info

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.