Pitted cylinders

pechroc1

Reaction score
So i cleaned up the cylinders and found this...
20220219_171533.jpg

What do i do? i see you can get sleeves. im guessing you need special tooling to replace a sleeve.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So i cleaned up the cylinders and found this...View attachment 116170
What do i do? i see you can get sleeves. im guessing you need special tooling to replace a sleeve.

Can you feel that with a fingernail or a pocket screwdriver, pick, anything like that? May it just possibly be staining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Why were we cleaning cylinders? And with what? Looks like heavy scoring on piston

I never ever clean cylinders or pistons.

pechroc1

Reaction score
Yes you can feel it. Wd and microfiber rag. I dont think i have a machine shop up here that can bore it. Im going the get the pistons out and see if there's any others.

pechroc1

Reaction score
In order to use a sleeve will need to have a machine shop to machine the bore and install the sleeve.

Was the engine starting and running fine?
Yes the motor was running ok. But im not doing this just to put it back together with a score cylinder. I have to find a shop that can do it... i don't think the the shop i brought the heads to can bore the block. Ill have to find out tomorrow.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes the motor was running ok. But im not doing this just to put it back together with a score cylinder. I have to find a shop that can do it... i don't think the the shop i brought the heads to can bore the block. Ill have to find out tomorrow.

I hear you on not wanting to put it back together as is.

You are now looking at a rebuild? If so, you should be able to just bore it out bigger and go with a oversized ppistons No need for sleeves, unless they cant clean it up with a bore job. Then you would be better off getting another block. But, that is just my opinion.

I did a tractor not long ago that had a bore like that, the guy did not want to change the sleeves (a sleeved block) so I honed it and put new rings in it. It's been running great for him. I do not recommend it though. It was not my choice but his.

pechroc1

Reaction score
Yeah i agree completely. Just need to find a shop to do it.
I got it on the stand today and pulled the pistons. One other has some slight pitting. But the other 6 look great.
I have to tear this down completely to get it bored, correct? Front cover,cam,crank etc.?

pechroc1

Reaction score
So she's empty. I thank everyone for their input and im sure i will be coming back for help on the rebuild.
The shop that has my heads can bore it. It was just a misunderstanding.
Has anyone dealt with littlepowershop.com in west PA for parts before?
Or recommendations for a place to buy a kit?
20220221_130118.jpg

20220221_130129.jpg

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Riff raff sells the ford rebuild kit. You’ll just need to know how big they bore it, and if they do anything to the mains or crank to see if you need oversized bearings or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pechroc1

Reaction score
Hone it, ring it, and enjoy it for the next 300k
Yeah. im bringing the block tomorrow. If that's what he recommends ill be glad to go that way... save the money on pistons.

The truck has 238/80s and a 38r so im more concerned with the rotating assembly. Im more at peace with the fact im changing all the bearings.

pechroc1

Reaction score
Now that he is decking the heads and im using comp cam springs do i have to get the spring pressure checked or use shims?

pechroc1

Reaction score
910's... if i wanted t try and hone it myself... i figure if it doesn't work i can get it bored... what type of hone/hones would i use?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'd leave even honing to professional. Hard to get a nice cross hatch

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.