poor mileage

psduser1

Reaction score
Alright guys, I don't know these 6.0s like the old 7.3.
Got a buddy just bought an 03/04? F250. Says he's getting 8 mpg, empty or loaded. I know the 6.0s were slightly less on the mpg, but this sounds ridiculous, lol.
He's got the dealer hooking it to a scanner, I told him to pay attention to icp, dc%, and ficm voltage, at least.
Apparently, it's had at least some reliability mods done, and is mostly stock. No tuner. He's old enough to not drive like an ahole, so I'm looking for a couple of pointers or ideas.

MNStroker316

Reaction score
Sticking brake calipers can cause drag leading to some decrease in MPG. Just one of many possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
That is possible, but, it just came thru the dealership, I'd hope they'd have covered the basics. I will check that, for sure.
My question is really what should I look for on the engine side, specifically.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
That is possible, but, it just came thru the dealership, I'd hope they'd have covered the basics. I will check that, for sure.
My question is really what should I look for on the engine side, specifically.

I would check/change fuel filters clogged filters cause mpg to go down , hook it up to a scanner and check FICM V and ICP/IPRDC ECT/EOT codes etc ,check oil level /condition oil leaks , airfilter.

if that doesn't help I would also check fuel pressure a dying HFCM can cause mpg to take a dump also.

A "Stock" CCSB 6.0 should be in 15-16+ mpg range.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
I didn't realize that about the hfcm, thank you. He's supposed to get me a printout of the scanner results, and I'll get a more thorough list of any repairs.

Latest posts

Members online