Powerstroke swap wont start with key

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
So I have a 1989 ford that I swapped a 7.3 Powerstroke into I had a parts truck so I have the whole dash harness under hood harness. I’m running a zf5 for the trans electric fuel pump. So what I have going on is I have a wts light on and I can start the truck by jumping the solenoid on fender. Truck will idle just fine no throttle response and will not start with the key. I’ve check all the grounds and all the pin connections to make sure non are bent or broke. But still nothing with the key. And the scan tool won’t communicate with scan tool. I’m at a lost I used everything out of the parts truck. The parts truck was a 96. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So I have a 1989 ford that I swapped a 7.3 Powerstroke into I had a parts truck so I have the whole dash harness under hood harness. I’m running a zf5 for the trans electric fuel pump. So what I have going on is I have a wts light on and I can start the truck by jumping the solenoid on fender. Truck will idle just fine no throttle response and will not start with the key. I’ve check all the grounds and all the pin connections to make sure non are bent or broke. But still nothing with the key. And the scan tool won’t communicate with scan tool. I’m at a lost I used everything out of the parts truck. The parts truck was a 96. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

When you’re trying to start it, do you have 12v to the signal wire on the solenoid? Are you jumping the solenoid on the starter, or the solenoid on the fender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Is the Donor/parts truck ECM for an auto? Is it looking for a neutral safety switch input? Or pass through?

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
Are you getting 12v to the signal wire? Does the solenoid have a good ground? Are you jumping the 2 big posts, or the hot post to the signal post?

I do not have 12volts at the signal wire

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I do not have 12volts at the signal wire

Ok, so that’s your problem. Trace that wire looking for an inline connector or something that may not be plugged in. As tiha said as well, is it a like to like pcm trans wise? Is the clutch switch good? Try jumping it to verify if it’s good or not. If it’s an auto pcm, make sure the neutral safety switch wires a bypassed properly.

And actually re reading your first post, no communication with the pcm is an issue, but the truck shouldn’t start and run if the pcm isn’t talking. Is the ignition switch good? You should be able to bench test it by monitoring continuity at each position. Does your obd port have 12v and good grounds? Also check the comm wires to the pcm from the obd connector.

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
Ok, so that’s your problem. Trace that wire looking for an inline connector or something that may not be plugged in. As tiha said as well, is it a like to like pcm trans wise? Is the clutch switch good? Try jumping it to verify if it’s good or not. If it’s an auto pcm, make sure the neutral safety switch wires a bypassed properly.

And actually re reading your first post, no communication with the pcm is an issue, but the truck shouldn’t start and run if the pcm isn’t talking. Is the ignition switch good? You should be able to bench test it by monitoring continuity at each position. Does your obd port have 12v and good grounds? Also check the comm wires to the pcm from the obd connector.

I will look into that wire. The donor truck the pcm was fried so I had a buddy that had one but not sure if it’s auto or manual but the neutral safety switch is by passed

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
Update

Traced the wire all the way back to the fuse box with have the end at starter solenoid hooked to power and it has power all the way back to the fuse box through the trans harness but the main connector that hooks the dash harness and under hood harness together doesn’t seem to match up. Does anyone have a pin out and list of what wires are what. Th able for the info this far.

Reaction score
Here's the pinout for C202 (big firewall feedthrough). It gives the wire colors and circuit numbers, but not the "what are what". There are too many diagrams to search/research through and post. If you need a diagram for a specific system, let me know. Cheers!

Attachments

• 1996 C202 Pinout.pdf
    251.2 KB · Views: 57

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
Here's the pinout for C202 (big firewall feedthrough). It gives the wire colors and circuit numbers, but not the "what are what". There are too many diagrams to search/research through and post. If you need a diagram for a specific system, let me know. Cheers!
Awesome from my research looks like I need a diagram for a 96 to know what wires are what. If you have that it would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
What you need is the 1996 Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM). It is broken up by system (engine controls, starting, charging, lighting, etc) and there are easily over 100 pages to it. Then you have to research each individual circuit number and find which pages are applicable. It takes a ton of time. I started trying to do it for that particular connector years ago, but gave up as it was taking forever. Cheers!

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
What you need is the 1996 Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM). It is broken up by system (engine controls, starting, charging, lighting, etc) and there are easily over 100 pages to it. Then you have to research each individual circuit number and find which pages are applicable. It takes a ton of time. I started trying to do it for that particular connector years ago, but gave up as it was taking forever. Cheers!
Alright I’ve been searching for one but seems every link I find is a bad link for the evtm

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I have been going through remote starter diagrams. I am not sure they have the info you are looking for either.

Might need a service CD.

Bugman

Reaction score
There are sets of books on Ebay but get ready to spend some money for them.

Years ago I picked up a CD for the repair manual and and second one for the EVTM off of Ebay. It's a pain to go through the pages on a laptop or computer but it works.

Reaction score
The paper version of the EVTM is much better to flip through. I wish you could search the electronic versions by circuit number! I have paper in the 94 and 97 years and 96-01 on DVD (All Ford models with Shop Service, EVTM, and PCED). You want the EVTM for the year you have as there are some differences between years. As I mentioned I started the effort to "map" C202 years ago trying to help someone out, but it was just too time consuming back then. Never got back to it. Cheers!

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the info and feed back looks like I’ll be doing some serious wire tracing to get it figured out. I’ll keep you guys posted

Wasted Wage$

Reaction score
The paper version of the EVTM is much better to flip through. I wish you could search the electronic versions by circuit number! I have paper in the 94 and 97 years and 96-01 on DVD (All Ford models with Shop Service, EVTM, and PCED). You want the EVTM for the year you have as there are some differences between years. As I mentioned I started the effort to "map" C202 years ago trying to help someone out, but it was just too time consuming back then. Never got back to it. Cheers!
Hey Patrick would you by chance have a pin out diagram for a 94.5 to 95? I have my start issue figured out but have no koeo power to obd port and still to throttle response but with the issue I had with the starter solenoid wire I’m wonder if I have a 96 engine harness and a 94.5 to 95 dash harness

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.