Short bed dually idea

248superduty

Reaction score
Ok so first off i might be slightly crazy and take all of this as just a thought of i wonder if this would work. So i was bored at work tonight and was reading old project forum threads. Well I came across Dennis's (strictly Diesel) old thread about building the perfect dually. In the pic i noticed that one of his trucks was a short bed dually. So this brings me to my idea. I have always loved dually's and have wanted to convert mine into one for a while now. My first question is are their dually fenders made by ford for a short bed or are the ones on his truck from an 8ft bed truck? As for the swap I am thinking that i can get a set of the front dually adapters from ford for the front and use the stock 10.5 rear axle with dually wheels for the rear. this truck DOES NOT tow. Its only for looks. And it would be on 40" tires so the rears would also need a spacer inbetween the rear wheels. so could this work?

248superduty

Reaction score
They did? well hot daym i did not know that. Also forgot to ask. I know i will have to drill holes for the fenders but will i also have to cut out the wheel well?

Strokersace

Reaction score
^ What he said.

Plus you're going to need spacers on the rear hubs as well. Otherwise your inner dual is going to be in WAY to far and you'll have clearance issues.

248superduty

Reaction score
Ok so I can use the 10.5 rear axle. thats good to know. also i plan on running the military 40" XL tires so what size rear spacers would i need?

bad12jr

Reaction score
It was a Lariet LE model I know for sure you could get a short bed dually. Came with 4 buckets. And 2 consoles. A buddy had one. It was an 02 iirc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Strokersace

Reaction score
Ok so I can use the 10.5 rear axle. thats good to know. also i plan on running the military 40" XL tires so what size rear spacers would i need?
Think about this for a moment...

You want to use your stock srw axle. Then use spacers just to get the stock size dually rims/tires out far enough so there are no clearance issues. THEN... you want to use more spacers to fit big tires???? That's severely retarded and down right dangerous.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ok so first off i might be slightly crazy and take all of this as just a thought of i wonder if this would work. So i was bored at work tonight and was reading old project forum threads. Well I came across Dennis's (strictly Diesel) old thread about building the perfect dually. In the pic i noticed that one of his trucks was a short bed dually. So this brings me to my idea. I have always loved dually's and have wanted to convert mine into one for a while now. My first question is are their dually fenders made by ford for a short bed or are the ones on his truck from an 8ft bed truck? As for the swap I am thinking that i can get a set of the front dually adapters from ford for the front and use the stock 10.5 rear axle with dually wheels for the rear. this truck DOES NOT tow. Its only for looks. And it would be on 40" tires so the rears would also need a spacer inbetween the rear wheels. so could this work?

08 CC Short bed dually here we got dana 80 in the rear.

248superduty

Reaction score
Think about this for a moment...

You want to use your stock srw axle. Then use spacers just to get the stock size dually rims/tires out far enough so there are no clearance issues. THEN... you want to use more spacers to fit big tires???? That's severely retarded and down right dangerous.

I honestly see no problem with it. Guys run inner and mid spacers on dually's all the time to fit wider tires. so yea like i said i see no problem. quality spacers and it will be fine.

248superduty

Reaction score
ok so i cant find inner 17" dually wheels that are 8x170. Am i just not googleing something correct or what?

Strokersace

Reaction score
I honestly see no problem with it. Guys run inner and mid spacers on dually's all the time to fit wider tires. so yea like i said i see no problem. quality spacers and it will be fine.
To each their own. And if "guys do it all the time" and you already know this, then why are you on here asking about it? Don't know where you live, but I'm just pray you're not in my area. If you are, I don't want to be on the road with you.

That's close to 6" of spacers out past the hub surface. You're bearings will love you!

Pockets

Reaction score
I love the look of short beds also. Here are a few of my favorites..
e32fde044585377aab53bb0eefe30449.jpg
e8c1fc724d6cf0ef27bb055b25a3f83b.jpg
5f1b259079f687395a60e1d41cb9437f.jpg
69f9243482becddc13a7d65518fc84f0.jpg

Isobaric

Reaction score

Google 'moment arm' and see if your opinion changes

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
more than likely its all dont on the factory dana 80 rear! its a bit stouter then the 10.5...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online