Solonoid vs Battery for power

m j

Reaction score
and wtf would you ever wire something to the battery terminal when there is a solenoid stud where the factory draws all its power from right there.
pet peeve of mine

QtrHorse

Reaction score
and wtf would you ever wire something to the battery terminal when there is a solenoid stud where the factory draws all its power from right there.
pet peeve of mine

Because that solenoid is rated for a certain amperage. If you start loading it up with a higher demand, it will heat up and possibly fail or provide a slightly lower voltage.

When adding accessories, you should add an additional fuse/ junction box or wire directly to the battery. The exceptions would be needing 12v for a switch that activates a solenoid or something low voltage like a gauge.

m j

Reaction score
the wire from the battery to the solenoid has no bearing at all on the solenoid amperage, all you use is the stud as a place to get power.
there should only ever be one thing on a battery post.

Zmann

Reaction score
ok so what about the " wire" from the battery to the solenoid that u decided to load up ? at what point does that catch fire ? 100 amps 300 amps ?

this is the craziest "pet peeve" I have seen you have any documentation from any reputable source hat states never come off of the positive battery post for auxiliary power ?

of course you can come right off of the battery be it an auxiliary buss for multiple connections
or just a fused winch or amp feed

m j

Reaction score
ok so what about the " wire" from the battery to the solenoid that u decided to load up ? at what point does that catch fire ? 100 amps 300 amps ?

this is the craziest "pet peeve" I have seen you have any documentation from any reputable source hat states never come off of the positive battery post for auxiliary power ?

of course you can come right off of the battery be it an auxiliary buss for multiple connections
or just a fused winch or amp feed

where do the OEM (chevys too) get power from for every circuit? the solenoid post. documentation? every wiring diagram printed is your documentaion
there is zero benefit to going to the battery post rather then the easy to attach to solenoid post

mustube

Reaction score
Its still not switched power like OP is looking for. It doesn't matter how you run the wiring. Its nice to have it on switch power so if you have a cheap relay short out then it doesn't drain your battery.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
where do the OEM (chevys too) get power from for every circuit? the solenoid post. documentation? every wiring diagram printed is your documentaion
there is zero benefit to going to the battery post rather then the easy to attach to solenoid post

you don't get it do you ?:shrug:

seriously I would love to see your idea of how to properly wire up a winch /welder /amplifier

anyways non of this is relevant since the OP is after switched power

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I would probably use the solenoid to be the trigger wire to a relay, and that relay would then send power to an aftermarket fuse block to power whatever accessories you may want

mustube

Reaction score
Can you tell us how you would wire a winch? Adding a small amp, let alone a winch would melt the wiring from the battery to the solenoid, and the solenoid itself.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
you would probably learn something

ya like how to start a carbeque

4DT1_truck_fire_thursday.jpg

hope this isn't what you do for a living LOL

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
the electrical fire thing is from dumb****s who dont know how to wire things and do stuff like 'direct power from the battery post'. that would be your camp not mine.

if scabbing a bunch of wiring direct to the battery post was good practice. why do the OEMs go to the trouble of not doing it that way?

m j

Reaction score
I dont think that it is cool to make this look like a thread I started out of the blue.
is this a common practice on this forum?
over moderation removes the context of the discussion

ghohouston

Reaction score
Oem wiring systems are designed poorly at best. They use the smallest gauge wire they can get away with, and need to save space. I have always wired my systems straight from the battery, with an inline fuse block of course. I wouldn't trust pulling an amp rated at 3,000 RMS watts at 1 ohm through a solenoid.

m j

Reaction score
why would it go through the solenoid? all you are after is the clean location to get the power, which is battery side of the solenoid not switched load side so none of that load goes through the solenoid.
you are just needlessly cluttering the battery connection.