Soot in Degas bottle

noslofivoh

Reaction score
Needing some advice and input. My 2013 F350 has 210k miles on it. It was put under a weight reduction about 25k miles ago. Since then I have done a ton of repairs. Replaced headgaskets about 4-5k miles ago and replaced the Degas bottle at the same time since it was leaking at the seam. The heads were also reworked at that time too. Noticed today that there is soot in the Degas bottle. Everything I have read says that it is from the EGR cooler however since mine is missing, not sure where it could be coming from. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible it is an issue from having the head gaskets replaced such as something possibly not done correctly? Any info or advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

J98

Reaction score
What were the symptoms that prompted you to replace the HG? Not a common failure on the 6.7s.

noslofivoh

Reaction score
It overheated badly going up a 8.5% grade pulling about 28k pounds. After that, I kept loosing coolant to the tune of 1 gallon every 4-500 miles. The coolant was going to the intake and the intercooler was suspect and replaced. After that, it was still loosing coolant and the coolant temps and trans temp were getting high but not enough that anything was over heating. After the HG replacement, the temps have been wonderful even pulling the same grade. Nothing seems abnormal, just the soot I noticed today.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk