Trailer dealer says: "I can't sell you that 14K GVWR trailer, you are not licenced for it."

sagebel

Reaction score
Then he followed up with "you need a CDL". My 2021 F350 PSD is rated for 12,400lbs GVWR. So I would have over 26,000lbs of rating when hooked up to the 24' GN. I have no intention to make any money with my truck but I would like to get my tractor to my camp three hours away. WTF!!!! It's a ****ing pickup truck! I had another dealer tell me I would need a DOT number. Can someone get me smart on these two topics? Thanks!

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Then he followed up with "you need a CDL". My 2021 F350 PSD is rated for 12,400lbs GVWR. So I would have over 26,000lbs of rating when hooked up to the 24' GN. I have no intention to make any money with my truck but I would like to get my tractor to my camp three hours away. WTF!!!! It's a ****ing pickup truck! I had another dealer tell me I would need a DOT number. Can someone get me smart on these two topics? Thanks!

They are going by total wait of your truck and the new trailer. I think there is a rule if you go over a certain amount weight, you have to get a CDL.

Found this on another site..
  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
So with the combined weight of both your truck and the trailer, it hits the just over the 26,000 weight. So you would have to get a CDL. That's crazy.

psduser1

Reaction score
Aaaaa d all those rules apply to commercial vehicles.

A "not for hire" sign may cover the dealers bases.

sagebel

Reaction score
They are going by total wait of your truck and the new trailer. I think there is a rule if you go over a certain amount weight, you have to get a CDL.

Found this on another site..
  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
So with the combined weight of both your truck and the trailer, it hits the just over the 26,000 weight. So you would have to get a CDL. That's crazy.
I understand that, It makes sense. But we all see HD pickups pulling far more than the truck is rated for. I live 3 miles from a Loves truckstop with Cat scales, I will weigh the truck every load to ensure that I am not over 26000 and not exceeding any axle rating. So if I don't get on the highway over 26K, I don't see why this would even be a discussion.

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I understand that, It makes sense. But we all see HD pickups pulling far more than the truck is rated for. I live 3 miles from a Loves truckstop with Cat scales, I will weigh the truck every load to ensure that I am not over 26000 and not exceeding any axle rating. So if I don't get on the highway over 26K, I don't see why this would even be a discussion.

For sure we do, we also see people texting on their phones to, going 20 miles of the speed limit and others doing U turns when they can't. Its against the law but people still will push the line. The dealer won't sell it to you due to the fact if you get pulled over or in an accident, and they found out they sold it to you, there in deep dodo.... :poop:

psduser1

Reaction score
No, they're not.
Dealers aren't responsible for your actions after you leave the lot, any more than armalite is responsible for mass murders.

Having said that, anyone can be sued, for anything, so apparently, he's more worried about the hassle than the sale.

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No, they're not.
Dealers aren't responsible for your actions after you leave the lot, any more than armalite is responsible for mass murders.

Having said that, anyone can be sued, for anything, so apparently, he's more worried about the hassle than the sale.

Exactly. Doesn't matter whats right or wrong, people are aholes and will do anything to find away to sue someone. Sad really...

psduser1

Reaction score
Well, here in communist NY state, I am required to run "Commercial" plates on my truck due to being rated for over 10,000lbs.
You're not permitted to own something that's capable of hauling decent size camper?
You're not agricultural?
Aside, I can't seem to get emojis from the dashboard.

Reaction score
I wish I could offer helpful info... down here in FL we can pretty much do whatever we want with our vehicles.

PDT1081

Reaction score
You're GCWR is 32,100. Any trailer over 10,000 would need a CDL. EXCEPT WHEN PRIVATELY OWNED AND NOT USED FOR COMMERCE. You can hook any trailer you want, load up to exactly 32,100, and provided you are not exchanging money for your services, go wherever the hell you want in the US without a CDL.

Now, if you are hauling something for a buddy, and he pays for a tank of fuel, you need the CDL, because you are technically being paid for your services. Depends on how big of a Richard the DOT wants to be should you get pulled over.

sagebel

Reaction score
You're not permitted to own something that's capable of hauling decent size camper?
You're not agricultural?
Aside, I can't seem to get emojis from the dashboard.
I had the same thoughts! I went RV shopping for a new toyhauler (5'er). And nothing was said about how much the RV weighed or what I was pulling it with.
I am not agricultural or a business. I'm just a retired guy with an awesome truck that wants more capability than I will probably ever need.

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Ok, there is a [] on the right of the reply box dashboard(on desktop, on mobile, click on the 3 dots on the right near the Search Magnifying glass logo. Click on the [] and it will allow you then to use all the reply dashboard functions, including the smilies. No idea why it defaulted you to that setting.

silent64

Reaction score
You're GCWR is 32,100. Any trailer over 10,000 would need a CDL. EXCEPT WHEN PRIVATELY OWNED AND NOT USED FOR COMMERCE. You can hook any trailer you want, load up to exactly 32,100, and provided you are not exchanging money for your services, go wherever the hell you want in the US without a CDL.

Now, if you are hauling something for a buddy, and he pays for a tank of fuel, you need the CDL, because you are technically being paid for your services. Depends on how big of a Richard the DOT wants to be should you get pulled over.

silent64

Reaction score
that is correct. I have a cdl A and the guys at the scale house told me that "if it is privetly owned and you are hauling your own stuff, don't even stop at the scales. I have a note pad I carry and if i haul something for somebody else, I get a bill of sale thar makes whatever I'm hauling mine. It helps if you have a simple "not for hire" sticker on the truck. They told me that this is Nation Wide. My truck is a 350 and a 25,000 lb flat bed triler. Have had no problems so far.

ncollins64

Reaction score
As a trucking company owner, farmer, and class a CDL holder you do not have to have a CDL to buy a gooseneck trailer period. If your state is giving you trouble just find one in TN and I’ll buy it for you and transfer the title over.

Latest posts

Members online