Trailer dealer says: "I can't sell you that 14K GVWR trailer, you are not licenced for it."

dsberman94

Reaction score
Guarantee it’s because of the commercial plates. Just go to any state surrounding New York and get one.

sagebel

Reaction score
You're GCWR is 32,100. Any trailer over 10,000 would need a CDL. EXCEPT WHEN PRIVATELY OWNED AND NOT USED FOR COMMERCE. You can hook any trailer you want, load up to exactly 32,100, and provided you are not exchanging money for your services, go wherever the hell you want in the US without a CDL.

Now, if you are hauling something for a buddy, and he pays for a tank of fuel, you need the CDL, because you are technically being paid for your services. Depends on how big of a Richard the DOT wants to be should you get pulled over.
Where is 32,100 listed for my truck? Why is 32100 a magical number?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I understand that, It makes sense. But we all see HD pickups pulling far more than the truck is rated for. I live 3 miles from a Loves truckstop with Cat scales, I will weigh the truck every load to ensure that I am not over 26000 and not exceeding any axle rating. So if I don't get on the highway over 26K, I don't see why this would even be a discussion.
Gubbermint cares more about what's on paper than the real world, is all about taxes(money) and control.

The man gonna git hiz!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sagebel

Reaction score
Agreed. If that's the case, I want to sue the next mother fer that cuts me off OR the company that sold their product to a dipshit!