Truck repair nightmare

Big Bore

Reaction score
I spent the day yesterday helping a friend with a motor swap gone bad. He bought a F550 4x4 7.3L box truck with a blown motor with plans to put a roll off bed on it. He bought a used runner 7.3L and installed it. Right away it ran rough and then died while out driving it. After two days of beating his head against the wall trying to get it started, he sent out an SOS and I went over with a few spare parts and we went to work. Now let me interject in the story, my friend is a mechanic and used to have a local shop. He has extensive experience with trouble shooting the 7.3L and has been using forums as a resource since the old days on TDS. during his own trouble shooting he went through the harness and did complete scan/diagnostics with an OTC.

Anyway, we replaced the IPR twice, ICP sensor 3 times, an injector, and basically went through all the trouble shooting either of us could think of. It would start, then go really high on the ICP then die and wouldn't restart unless we disconnected the batteries. After we got it to start and run it was running really rough with a bad miss and knock. Scanner kept showing #2 and 4 cylinders, which is when we swapped injectors with no change. I could see in his face he was about to push the truck off a mountain and at this point I was beginning to think the motor was toast. It was missing and shaking badly with a LOT of blowby. So much blowby that after we got it running it blew two quarts of oil through the PCV into the intakes just driving it around the block a couple times. I did the oil fill cap test and the cap was jumping up in the air 1/2 inch. Finally after 9 straight hours of work and my bugging the shyt out of Pocket (who was having his own nightmare at the time) we were racking our brains trying to figure out wtf was causing 2&4 to be bad and wtf the miss was all about, my buddy had an epiphany.

At this point I'll backtrack. The blown motor has a broken rocker mount, bent pushrod, and blown a headgasket. Motor was bone stock. However just before blowing up it had some repair work done. The repair was done by Napa Car Care in Eagle Colorado. The repair was installing new VC harness connectors. As soon as I saw them I asked him if they were GtoG because the leads to the repair connectors were all black, no colors, and it immediately made me nervous. He said no they were good, he had ohmed out all the pins etc and said the repair connections were done well.

So back to the epiphany. He looks at me and says "what if those dumbazzes reversed the wiring for 2 and 4?" I'm thinking wtf really? So we get out the tester and pin diagram and sure enough, 2 and 4 reversed on the harness repair. Yes the connections had ohmed out previously, but not in the right order which escaped detection. so we clip the wires and reverse them, fire truck up, and now it runs fine except what sounds like a lifter tick. Drove it around and now it's got power and is not blowing any smoke other than a blue haze from the two quarts of oil in the intake and under load a bit of black. The oil filler cap test wont even lift the cap now. The injectors firing at the wrong time were causing a significant amount of blowby.

By this time it was 10pm so we went and got some pizza then called it a night.

The ticking noise is a bent pushrod in my opinion and he's going to check that today. I'll probably go over to see how it goes. But basically, Napa Car Care in Eagle Colorado cost at least one person who owned that truck a motor, and almost cost another one, may still have depending on what the ticking noise is. Just to clarify, the motor he put in ran great in the donor truck it came from and exhibited none of the problems it had after installing it in the F550. My buddy talked to the guy who did the harness splice because the owners had taken it back there after it blew, which we both think happened pretty soon after leaving the shop going up I70 to Vail. There is no way it would have even made it over Vail pass running like that. The mechanic said he didn't know what the problem was and that it was just a blown motor. Well now we know, the mechanic at Napa Car Care in Eagle Colorado who did the VC wiring harness repair on a white F550 box truck for a catering service reversed #2 and #4 wires which caused a catastrophic failure of his customers motor. Good job Dbag.

So, hopefully maybe there is some useful info in here for someone, and maybe later I'll post the pics of the oil all over the side of buddies F350 and camper 10 feet away when we cleared the cylinder through the GP hole after swapping injectors. I wanted to put the VC back on because I had tried laying a rag over the hole before and knew what could happen ( I think Tom S was there actually) but he said "no, just hold this" cranked the engine and BANG! Good thing I had moved to the other side and was reaching over holding the rag, lmao. Trying to force oil and fuel through the GP hole under compression makes a pretty loud bang when it clears.

Last edited:

Whytry

Reaction score
Wow that was a story lol but that is one reason why I refuse to have other people work on my truck. Glad you all got it going though.

Big Bore

Reaction score
At that point someone would be buying me a new engine cause the dbag screwed up.......

Unfortunately thats probably not going to happen. My buddy bought the truck from the guy who bought it from the catering service, so it's changed ownership twice since the motor blew. The catering service may have a case, I don't know. I would certainly be willing to make a sworn statement.

The biggest piece of advice I have from this is when splicing in a new VC connector to the harness, do it one wire at a time with the new connector overlaying the old one so there is no way it could get mixed up. I figure the reason those wires got crossed is the hack doing the work cut the connector off completely then started making connections for the new connector. Maybe I'm giving the "mechanic" at Napa Car Care in Eagle Colorado too much credit.

I'm also wondering why they did the repair in the first place. As in what problem they were trying to correct, that may or may not have been due to faulty VC connectors.

Tom S

Reaction score
I still have concerns that one could bend a rod blowing oil out the glowplug hole unless you are barring the motor over rather then using the starter.

I sure cannot think of an explanation for all the blowby though.

In any case a good repair story for sure.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I still have concerns that one could bend a rod blowing oil out the glowplug hole unless you are barring the motor over rather then using the starter.
That could be a valid concern, the oil definately builds pressure trying to escape the GP hole.

I sure cannot think of an explanation for all the blowby though.

The only thing I could come up with is because of when injection was happening it was washing down the cylinder and preventing the rings from sealing, but it was still at a point where it was burning and creating enough cylinder pressure to blow it by the unsealed rings. I don't know and that's a stab in the dark. Gearhead or HRT might be able to shed some light on that based on where 2 and 4 would be firing in the cycle when reversed. The real head scratcher is now it is not blowing by anymore than what is considered normal as far as I can tell. It is definitely significantly less after we fixed the harness.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Glad you found it. So it was a wiring issue after all. Just not where anyone would have expected it to be. ;)

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
It would run, but were you having to feed it throttle to do so? Would it cel when it died?
This makes me wonder about mine. Any way to check the wiring?

Big Bore

Reaction score
It would run, but were you having to feed it throttle to do so? Would it cel when it died?

No it would idle for a bit, then ICP would spike and it would die. He had a pin diagram for the main engine harness connector, and did a continuity test from the main connector pins to the VC connector slots for each cylinder. #2 pin had continuity on #4 slot in VC connector, and vice versa for #4 pin.

UPDATE!

Went back again yesterday and we found bent p rods in #4, one pretty severe ( I believe it was the intake), I have pics on my phone I may try to post up later. Replaced those, fired it up and took for a spin, started making all kinds of racket and smoking bad again. Pulled VC and found broken rocker on #4 intake. Replaced and also replaced the p rod that bent at the same time. Cranked it this time to see if rocker was operating and if it would have any issues. It wasn't. Fired it up and rocker was working fine. Almost no smoke at idle except a very slight haze of blue, but under throttle it blew quite a bit of white smoke. It also still had a miss and contribution test failed #4. At that point I had to leave as it was getting late. Buddy kept messing with it, pulled injector and nozzle was crusted also bottom o-ring was toast.

Additionally it has started using a lot of oil. Like a spin around the block will use two quarts. The intake, compressor, hot side IC pipe are full of it, and oil is dribbling from the tailpipe. Turbo is TIGHT and fairly new so it's not suspect, especially since it's obviously in the intake right after the PCV. Pretty sure it's getting blown by out of the crankcase. Buddy cleaned the injector nozzle and installed new o-rings and thats as far as he got. Waiting to see what happens today. He has injectors in the other motor but they are AD code and the injectors in the installed motor are AB code, so he's leery about using them. I think he would be ok to use them just to test the hole. I think he's going to do a compression test on that hole also. He has said earlier he didnt to want because he didnt want to know lol.

So thats where it's at. He's had the VC off that bank at least a dozen times now so I think he's about done. Wish I had more time to help him with it.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score

My favorite wiring diagram.

SD_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Tom, can you throw this in the Library, if it's not already there.

Tom S

Reaction score
My favorite wiring diagram.

SD_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Tom, can you throw this in the Library, if it's not already there.

Andy do you have a larger version of that. I think that is just the medium size thumbnail and it does not pop open.

I will library it if we get it right.

Arisley

Reaction score
I have the full size one saved in my photo album here, but when I attemp to past it in here, it adjusts the size.

Last edited:

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
So is the truck in Eagle? If so, next time you are here let me know, It would be nice to meet you. If not, I will go kick the NAPA guy in the nuts for you.

Big Bore

Reaction score
So is the truck in Eagle? If so, next time you are here let me know, It would be nice to meet you. If not, I will go kick the NAPA guy in the nuts for you.

No man, it's in Fairplay. Thanks for the offer. LOL
My best friend lives over in Eagle Ranch, next time I'm over there we'll have to meet up.

UPDATE!!!

Looks like engine is a goner. #4 piston either has a huge hole or rings are toast. Compression test revealed 0lbs and air pressure put through GP hole came out crankcase vent. GP was also broken off, probably went through turbo. Sad thing is it was running a lot better once he did the #4 injector o-rings and when he took it for a drive it didn't use any oil at all. It's too bad we didn't look at the compression and do the compressed air two days ago, woulda saved a couple days heartache for my buddy. So he's in the market for a motor, I may sell him my low mile (30K) spare just to help him out.

So a good runner was trashed for the same reason the original motor went, faulty injector wiring.

My question is, if the reverse firing of #2 and #4 did that much damage, are the rods still going to be good? If I sell him my motor I still need a good core, and it's a forged motor from an E99.

Latest posts

Members online