Tuning engine without transmission tune

ckrueg

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would work to load a new engine tune without re-tuning the tranny to avoid having the transmission re learn. after you load an engine tune, the minimaxx ask if it is for a manual or auto tranny. If you selected manual I assume the tuner wouldn't affect the tcm? Then you could keep the current transmission tuning. I just don't want to screw something up.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I haven't tried that on a 6.4.

6.7s ask if you would like to tune the transmission or not. You can select no if you want.

That's a pretty good question I'm not sure if selecting manual effects the engine tune or not to be honest. I think you are probably right I just doesn't tune the tcm

ckrueg

Reaction score
I might try it some time and if it causes problems I'll just re tune it. I just wouldn't want it to damage the ecu or tcm but I don't see how that would happen, my guess is there would just be codes thrown.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
You can select manual, but it either won't work or it will load a manual file to the ECM, and the truck won't start

If you're making changes to the ECM file, you're going to want to reload the trans tune anyhow so that it will learn properly and you don't have a KAM that's tailored to a different engine file.

I'll tell you this though... you don't have to beat the dog **** out of the truck every time you flash it. I pretty much NEVER do a quick relearn. It just seems abusive to me. The trans will learn over time. It really doesn't take much driving at all for the shifting to calm down

ckrueg

Reaction score
I never do the relearn process, but I would like to avoid the harsh shifting if possible. Usually the changes i make to the engine file don't affect the power so I'm not to worried about that. Mainly just smoothing or minor tweaks at certain rpms. Do manual tranny trucks even have a tcm? If not the tuner wouldn't communicate with it, because it wouldn't know it was there.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I only notice harsh shifting the first couple times through the gears. doesn't really bother me

manual trucks do not have a TCM. The engine file is completely different between auto and manual. IF it will load, it will be a manual file that will be looking for clutch interrupt in order to start.

I know on the Dodges, if you select auto vs. manual or vice-versa, it will just lock everything up and the truck is DOA until everything is recovered and reprogrammed correctly.

You're proposing a solution in search of a problem IMO

Bullzeye

Reaction score
I am rather new to all this as well, I have a 2010 F250, I have went through all of the options for the transmission side of the Mild tune & HD300 tune. I not really crazy about any of them, I have had the H&S installed on the truck for 16 months and about 20k miles.
I am getting to the end of the 5 year power train warranty and thought I would re-install the DPF and go back to stock for a few tanks of fuel before taking the truck into the dealership. When I went back to the OEM tune, the transmission did not do the same relearn type hard shifting for the first couple of run, and would lock up the TC in fifth gear at around 1250 RPMS @ 44 mph. which is great for city driving fuel economy...
I have said all of that to say this, I wish that I could keep this OEM stock transmission turn when I get done with the dealership and install the good stuff again...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That factory trans tune will not let the transmission live.

If you dont like the harsh shifts then i would recomend setting the H&S to the soft shift settings that should help.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I am rather new to all this as well, I have a 2010 F250, I have went through all of the options for the transmission side of the Mild tune & HD300 tune. I not really crazy about any of them, I have had the H&S installed on the truck for 16 months and about 20k miles.
I am getting to the end of the 5 year power train warranty and thought I would re-install the DPF and go back to stock for a few tanks of fuel before taking the truck into the dealership. When I went back to the OEM tune, the transmission did not do the same relearn type hard shifting for the first couple of run, and would lock up the TC in fifth gear at around 1250 RPMS @ 44 mph. which is great for city driving fuel economy...
I have said all of that to say this, I wish that I could keep this OEM stock transmission turn when I get done with the dealership and install the good stuff again...
Get Gearhead MCC tunes, the trans shifting is much better and it sounds like you'd really like his economy trans tune.

Bullzeye

Reaction score
That factory trans tune will not let the transmission live.

Please clarify the above statement, as for the harsh shifting, that is only during the re-learning after the upload, not all the time.

Is there a transmission program that is exactly the same as the stock? I noticed that even when you are adding the H&S to the truck with the DPF in place, it changes the transmission from what came from the factory.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you can put a stock tune if you want, but I'm not sure why you'd want to

the DPF present and the "easy" tunes both use the same trans tune. It's the OEM tune with the shifts firmed up and maybe some line pressure (haven't looked at them in a minute)

But that won't hold up to a big tune. It's on the fence at a ~175hp tune.

You should get some custom tunes IMO

Latest posts

Members online