Well **** me…

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Motor let go again… 1/2 throttle, about 45mph, top of 3rd gear. Again, no real reason for it to let go, did the walk of shame and picked up a decent size chunk of bed plate. Probably about a fist sized hole in the drivers side, can’t see the hole on the passenger side, think it’s behind the starter… Damn I love this ****…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Lol, yeah. Had a motor on order from kill devil for awhile bow, but haven’t been bugging him since I’m not a real customer and he’s got plenty of **** backed up. He said it’ll be shipping here in a week or 2. Gonna have rods, cut and coated pistons, stage 2 cam, an sfi approved damper and flex plate, and once he starts getting the new heads in, gonna get a set of aluminum heads.

It is just amazing to me that both times I’ve thrown rods, it’s been nowhere near even thinking about too much power. Last one was doing 15mph in my neighborhood with my trailer hooked up, this one was maybe using 450-500 horse when it let go. Not real hard on it, wasn’t spraying it. If it blew up going down the track I’d understand, this **** on the street baffles me…

Diesel625

Reaction score
That’s crazy. Hope you have better luck with the kill devil engine. Mine took a very long time to get, but it was worth the wait. It was put together very well.

Petro

Reaction score
Lol, yeah. Had a motor on order from kill devil for awhile bow, but haven’t been bugging him since I’m not a real customer and he’s got plenty of **** backed up. He said it’ll be shipping here in a week or 2. Gonna have rods, cut and coated pistons, stage 2 cam, an sfi approved damper and flex plate, and once he starts getting the new heads in, gonna get a set of aluminum heads.

It is just amazing to me that both times I’ve thrown rods, it’s been nowhere near even thinking about too much power. Last one was doing 15mph in my neighborhood with my trailer hooked up, this one was maybe using 450-500 horse when it let go. Not real hard on it, wasn’t spraying it. If it blew up going down the track I’d understand, this **** on the street baffles me…

That seems to be how it is with bigger power 7.3s in my area. The 4 or 5 trucks that I've seen throw rods, never do it while using the power, it's usually cruising down the highway or weird **** like that.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That’s crazy. Hope you have better luck with the kill devil engine. Mine took a very long time to get, but it was worth the wait. It was put together very well.

Yeah, Jared and his guys are great, and take their time to make sure it’s put together correctly. We’re one of their larger dealers, and know that they’re backed up with customer orders. I had ordered a build in a box to try and help not back them up more.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That seems to be how it is with bigger power 7.3s in my area. The 4 or 5 trucks that I've seen throw rods, never do it while using the power, it's usually cruising down the highway or weird **** like that.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. Crazy how it seems to happen that way…

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Exactly how I hear of PMR 7.3s letting go.. Even though not very often.

Curious to see if the rod bolts broke.

Anytime I've had a 6.0 window a block I can see that the rod bolts were strained and the heads popped off

webb06

Reaction score
Exactly how I hear of PMR 7.3s letting go.. Even though not very often.

Curious to see if the rod bolts broke.

Anytime I've had a 6.0 window a block I can see that the rod bolts were strained and the heads popped off

Same with 6.4’s. I always replace rod bolts if they get touched. Seen way to many broken and causing major damage.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I’ll get this pos out and torn down soon. Unfortunately it’s hotter than 2 chicks ****ing in a pool of pudding right now, and I’m still feeling like ****, so that may delay the process some. What was weird on the last one, was the big end was still attached to the crank, little end still on the wrist pin, and middle section of the rod was in the pan. Granted that one had arp rod bolts in it, and this one was a borrowed short block with unknown mileage and the guy who sold it to Charlie who let me use it could t keep a set of head gaskets in it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well got her pulled this morning. Looking thru one of the holes in it, looks like #6 pulled the wrist pin out the bottom of the piston. Rod is broken, heads of rod cap bolts are broken, rod cap is still attached, all sorts of **** is ****ed, but the bottom of the piston is missing. Heard of this happening in 1500+ hp on cast pistons, but I’m only about half that. Just my luck I reckon…

Second picture ain’t real good, I’m not a professional picture taker by any means… you can kinda see the piston at bdc up in the block. It’s also rotated about 1 1/2-2 hours…
01e1ee2fa31be881280baa73badf2c2d.jpg

ce19598c5a2c844660bf62166ea39056.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, not real good. Gonna get the motor to the shop this week and get it on a stand to tear it down and see just how bad it is

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well she’s tore apart now…
9b9157bee247a4202373ff7a1f7373c0.jpg

6f28a4855256e9fb6a40759536456e9a.jpg

adcf5015155e58b9be22fe8a1c61a0f4.jpg

7d20c3747317839b3d47b98ff4bfc08c.jpg

c99fb0a6e07c9183f2b87908e5604ce8.jpg

56c8150b8cdad4baa38f38aca3d3e9d4.jpg

b31509a2d7bc80bc4083f2022a68c9b3.jpg

498f47bb5959fa13737627817519f99f.jpg

c698ff87d8714c597ad6b2d6665eb67d.jpg

70af64288004483ed0ff045a22f6aeed.jpg

Think I may have had a head issue on the passenger side. That glow plug was the only one that would come out. All 4 were very difficult to unscrew, could definitely hear the difference in the impact. Drivers side all pulled out no problem. The one glow plug has got carbon all over the body of it. Wonder if maybe a glow plug sleeve issue or something. That side was also warranties once, both heads were factory heads we o ringed. Could also see that the blown head gasket o had seemed to be the passenger side. It was at least worse than the drivers…

Had my kid helping me tear it down. I swear he must’ve been rolling around on the ground or something…

greyford1979

Reaction score
Had my kid helping me tear it down. I swear he must’ve been rolling around on the ground or something…

That's about how I end up looking no matter how hard I try not to get dirty. Oil change, where gloves and somehow I end up looking like that lol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Can you test something for me?

With cam out, can you drop a lifter down a hole and have it slide right out?

I have to pull a cam and have a lifter that's mushroomed and can't pull it out the top. Hoping to pull cam and have lifter fall

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can you test something for me?

With cam out, can you drop a lifter down a hole and have it slide right out?

I have to pull a cam and have a lifter that's mushroomed and can't pull it out the top. Hoping to pull cam and have lifter fall

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Rod had actually broken one of the lifters in half and broke part of the lifter bore, ended up pulling the bottom half out the bottom…

Latest posts

Members online