What Is the Proper Way to Warm Up for Lifting?

imelmo

Reaction score
So I'm pretty certain I'm not warming up correctly before lifting as my 2nd and sometimes my 3rd sets usually end up producing more reps than my 1st.

I normally take some light weight and do what ever exercise I'm about to start and do about 10-15 reps with it, then start the actual "heavy" lifting about 2 minutes after.

So what should I actually be doing to warm up?

DSTRBD

Reaction score
Start light and work your way up. If you are doing reps at 250, start with 135 do that 10-15 times, then slap 20 more pounds on, do that 10 times, 20 more pounds, etc. Make sure to stretch as well, it is very important. We also used to start off with a few laps around the field before we ever touched a weight, gets the blood flowing.

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
Good thread Danny. I have been struggling with the same issue. I was kind of afraid of wearing my self out with warm ups and was using light weight. However, I have noticed that my third set is usually my easiest. His make me think that I need to put my body under some strain to warm it up.

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
Ex.
1st set 15 reps at 30% of max weight. (warm up set)
2nd set 12 reps at 50% of max weight. (warn up set)
3rd set 8-12 reps at 60% (working set)
4th/5th set 6-8 reps at 70-75% (working set)

This is just to give you an idea of reps and weight.

If you can do more reps on your last set than your first working set, you need to increase the weight being used.

Warm up sets should be used to get good blood flow to the muscles being worked, joints loose and muscles warm for working sets. If you go strait to working sets without warming up that will set you up for an injury.

Listen to you body, if your feeling strong in the gym that particular day then step up the weight. If not just do high reps and light weight.

imelmo

Reaction score
Good thread Danny. I have been struggling with the same issue. I was kind of afraid of wearing my self out with warm ups and was using light weight.

Same here. I'll try these suggestions and experiment a little. :D

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
I really wish I had a good lifting partner. Someone with a bunch of knowledge and smarter than me would be awesome. I want to try dead lifts but I am afraid that I could seriously hurt myself with bad form. I was able to get reasonably strong in my younger days with no knowledge of nutrition or how to really lift. I am excited to see I I can start packing on some muscle with a smarter approach.

imelmo

Reaction score
Sometimes I just go through the motions with just the bar, just to loosen everything up.

I do that already, actually with some relatively light weight on it. But it's apparently not enough since my 2nd set is always more reps than the first.

Snake

Reaction score
Basing the below on working sets of 8 reps.....

Start with a low percentage of your working weight and do a set of 12 reps.

Increase the weight and do another set for 8 reps.

Increase again and do a final warm up of 4-6 reps.

Then hit your first working set.

Example -- you're benching 225 for 3 sets of 8 reps as your working sets:

1. First warm up: 95 lbs for 12 reps
2. Second warm up: 135 lbs for 8 reps
3. Third warm up: 185 lbs for 4-6 reps

Then hit your first working set of 225 lbs for 8 reps. If you're able to get more reps out of your second and third working sets, simply decrease the amount of rest you're taking between sets. It'll increase both your strength and endurance, and your workout will also go more quickly. My rule of thumb was to go to failure on each set. My first set I'd usually get 8 reps. Second set 7-8. Third set 6-7. If I timed my rest between sets to 2-3 minutes and could hit 8 reps on all three sets, I'd add a little weight the next time I hit that body part.

Last edited:

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
Just finished working my chest and triceps. I stepped up to my working weight in 20 pound increments and reduced the reps by 2 with each warm up set. This fixed my warm up problem for sure and this was one of the best workouts I have ever had. Thanks for the advice guys.

Nic

Reaction score
whatever muscle im working that day, i always get a pump at the house before i leave to the gym. It helps me tremendously. Say im doing chest, Ill push out about 2 sets of 50, then, ill take pre-workout. This helps get the blood pumping and the pre-workout work that much better for me. Then by the time i hit the gym, Ill warm up there again. Warm up with 185 for about 12 reps. Then 225 for about 12 reps, then 275 for about 10, then heavy with 315 for about 6 to 8 reps, than back down to 225 for 10, then to he next exercise.

Ive never done the math in the gym about percent of body weight, and reps and all that. I throw the weight on i know i can lift and add a little more and push myself harder. Its worked. I was 160 lbs soaking wet 2 years ago. Im now at 10%bf and at 212

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Just finished working my chest and triceps. I stepped up to my working weight in 20 pound increments and reduced the reps by 2 with each warm up set. This fixed my warm up problem for sure and this was one of the best workouts I have ever had. Thanks for the advice guys.

How many warm-up sets did you do?

imelmo

Reaction score
Nice. I did 3 warm-up sets, also going up 20lbs each set 'til I reached my working set weight. Everything is working as it should now. LOL I did more reps on my first working set than I ever have at this weight and my 2 other working sets dropped down in reps as they should.

Thanx for the advice, fellas. :D

imelmo

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I did about 5 minutes on the rowing machine before too.

Latest posts

Members online