1200 HP- trans failing ?

Cknox121

Reaction score
So instead of mucking up Ryan's thread, Ill start my own.

I take it a CCSB truck pushing over 1100rwhp on fuel eats transmissions for lunch, especially on 35" tires or greater...so whats a guy to do? 38R or 4r? I know king kong had a few different transmissions, and Im taking it they never held up? Is there not a transmission made to hold this much HP? Or is it to complicated to make say a Allison fit into a 5r's location and function correctly?

Of course if a guys keeping the truck lifted, gears will help...but what else? Lower it, lighter tires and rims?

Whats your opinion? What about a midwest comp trans? Has Ryan not tried one of those? or elite? or...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So instead of mucking up Ryan's thread, Ill start my own.

I take it a CCSB truck pushing over 1100rwhp on fuel eats transmissions for lunch, especially on 35" tires or greater...so whats a guy to do? 38R or 4r? I know king kong had a few different transmissions, and Im taking it they never held up? Is there not a transmission made to hold this much HP? Or is it to complicated to make say a Allison fit into a 5r's location and function correctly?

Of course if a guys keeping the truck lifted, gears will help...but what else? Lower it, lighter tires and rims?

Whats your opinion? What about a midwest comp trans? Has Ryan not tried one of those? or elite? or...

I personally don't think anything will live very long having its ass kicked. at 1000+ . dropping weight is by far the best game plan. and plan on replacing shafts, and clutches on a somewhat regular basis. its the nature of the beast . ryan is worse off because his truck is SO heavy .

Cknox121

Reaction score
I personally don't think anything will live very long having its ass kicked. at 1000+ . dropping weight is by far the best game plan. and plan on replacing shafts, and clutches on a somewhat regular basis. its the nature of the beast . ryan is worse off because his truck is SO heavy .

Make since. A SCSB would be ideal as far as longevity goes. Im sure he's not going to remove the lift and 37's lol.

Didnt you run like 1200 on fuel? If so what trans did you have? IIRC something scattered in the motor before its full potential?

What about a transmission behind the 6.7? Whats the most HP one of them are holding up too? I remember a build a while ago where he was using elite built trans for his 6.7. I cant remember the build though. also not sure on the difficulty of putting the 6 speed behind the 6.4

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Any brand is going to struggle with that power and weight level. Weight kills faster than HP thats for sure.

5Rs are pretty tough but not tough enough for that abuse.

48s are tough and shift fast, but most even faster dodges are still about 700 lbs lighter than the equivalent ford.

4R shifts faster, shafts are no bigger than a 5r so IMHO not a better solution for a guy breaking crap

Omega from suncoast might be the solution but i dont think they are offering the same stuff they were a year ago.

Allison is not a better option than a 5R honestly.

Kind

Reaction score
A light truck makes a difference. My stock trans lasted a few months over 800hp with going to the track once a week making 3-4 passes a night. And I never played pussy with my nitrous, both stages were activated half way through second gear. However nothing will last long with the amount of torque we make at that hp. I understand people have 4wd's and want to make power to go down the 1/4, but heavy 4wd's only belong in-front of a sled. Or just accept going through gears with a 8000lb 1000hp truck is gonna break everything you put behind the motor!

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well said. I think if you're looking to go fast and have it live for a little while a single cab is the way to go, because of the weight. And even so, our trucks are heavy pigs compared to other brands with the same configuration. I make right around 1000hp and I only have a dpc converter, elite comp clutch kit, billet input, and parts of a shift kit. When the trans was apart we replaced the od planetary because one of the gears had. a very slight chip in one of the teeth. Regardless I haven't drag raced the truck consistently. I've only done 2 boosted launches. And I don't lay on it hard and go through the gears often, mostly because it'll just blow the tires off. So from 50 or 60 I get on it hard quite a bit, in 4th or 5th with and without the tc locked, and the trans is holding up very well, and shifts great. Does that mean that when I get the truck out this spring it may break a shaft or something in 5 miles? No... But its just my experience, and the set up has about 8000 miles on it, with no traction bars, lowered with 420s for 4k miles. Its all in how you drive and treat it.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Honestly if you expect anything to live over a 1000 HP you are dreaming LOL. Its just a matter of how long you can make it live is the key. With me, no the truck will not be losing lift or tires and it will only see a minor weight reduction with a roll pan. The truck is too fun to make it a regular cab because its always stuffed with people going down the drag strip or wheeling it on the bombing range. My only goal with swapping in the 48 is to make it shift and hold power and live more than a week. If I get half a season before a rebuild I'll be happy. May sound dumb but I compete with drag trucks on tiny tires with mine and hang with em. Its also bad ass to drive to an event and finish in the top 3 and drive it home while the others pop it in a trailer.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Kaleb has an Elite trans. in his 6.7. Dan does also if anybody gives a shlt......

Don't think they are drag racing there trucks like ryan does. I have an elite tranny in my truck and I will soon know how it does at the track. It's one thing to just pop it on a dyno and a different animal when you are taking it down the track with that much hp

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Its more than just drag racing too LOL
IMG_4019870971681.jpg

gfulton

Reaction score
Don't think they are drag racing there trucks like ryan does. I have an elite tranny in my truck and I will soon know how it does at the track. It's one thing to just pop it on a dyno and a different animal when you are taking it down the track with that much hp

Agree, Cknox was just asking about this.......should have quoted him..

Rubenk

Reaction score
Are the top dog drag transmissions not an option? IDK what the 2-3k HP gas racers are using or if they have to rebuild once a month too?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
if you could downshift a lenco and have overdrive that would be awesome, but you would need on board air ect. and still not many have used them behind a diesel (esp this heavy) to see if they actually last.

Dont get me wrong i dont blame you on the swap entirely. I don't think the 5R is totally to blame either tho. Tuning is a huge part of that but i dont really want to get into that as i know you have ran almost every tune under the sun.

Its too bad there arent better options

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Nothing will live at that power level for long, your be freshening it up about as often as you change the oil if you're hard on it. At that power level a built manual and a HD clutch will be better suited though not as fast. As mentioned already dropping weight and gearing for tire size will help it live a little longer but its still a struggle to get any life span out of it.

Reaction score
Cody, the 5r is not totally worthless, but it is not perfect by far. And if you want 8-9000#, 38" tires and stock gearing yeah like Ryan has proved time and time again they will not last. But neither will any Allison or dodge trans.

Gear it, smaller tires lower it and no more weight than necessary will make any trans last decently better.

That being said a 5r can last longer when all the other options are helped along to make it better. And tuning at that power level is 100% key.

It can be made to be liveable, but there never will be a permanent 1000hp pickup trans that can't be broken.

Rubenk

Reaction score
What are the holy **** racing big rigs running? Like the Pikes peak race trucks and such. Built manuals?

Members online

No members online now.