Mini Maxx booting issue

Emery19

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i have a Mini Maxx in my 08, but recently it won't boot past the H&S logo screen. Will an update fix that or is maybe something with the cable/power block. Some days it will boot just fine, but if i shut it down then it wont boot back up. If it matters i dont have it wired into the trucks power yet, i manually flick the switch every time i get into the truck.

I'm going to go ahead and try to update it. I'm assuming all i need to do is follow the instructions by pulling the SD card out and updating it via the website. If i understand the way it works correctly, from what i've read the tuner itself has the software for the deletes on it, the card just holds the updates and i won't run the risk of somehow screwing up my delete capabilities?

Sorry for all the noob questions. i should know all this as much as I read, but now that its spring im trying to get my truck back on the road more permanently and i'm going to need it here soon to help move my parents and myself so i'm just trying out all the minor issues i'm having.

tl/dr. mini maxx wont boot, will update help?

Thanks in advance!

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
Try your updates first, then if you can go ahead and wire the remote wire. Your update won't take off the delete capability, try this and let me know how it works! All you have to do is pull the Micro SD card from the unit and plug it into the adapter that comes with the tuner, then into the computer, it gives you instructions from there, hope this helps!

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
I had a faulty HDMI cable once, try one from your home entertainment setup to rule it out if the update doesn't work for you. The OBD2 block can be a little stiff too just make sure its connected right.

Emery19

Reaction score
When I get back home I'll try the updates. I read through the update instructions and it seems self explanatory. I just tend to over think things and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I need to figure out how to wire my remote wire too. Me and wiring don't get along.

Now that I think about it I didn't start to have booting issues until I installed my blend mount and changed HDMI cable from the one that came with my h&s to the one blendmount supplied. Maybe I'll switch back and see what happens if my update doesn't work

Emery19

Reaction score
updated and retuned the truck, swapped the hdmi cables, tried pretty much everything and still no luck. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.. most of the time it doesnt. any other ideas out there? im thinking i may need a new power block maybe? the obd port is good for sure because i run my scan guage off of it while this isnt working.

Emery19

Reaction score
if that's seriously the case i'm going to absolutely medieval. I'm guessing there's no way to fix that? what would cause that in the first place? since i can't get it to boot, the truck is currently stuck in whatever the middle set of tunes is, in stock power level.. luckily i have my scanguage to keep an eye on temps. it's also well over a year old so i'm sure there's nothing H&S can do for me either.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Have you replaced the SD card? I doubt that's it, but...

Who did you buy it from? They MIGHT be able to pull some back stage magic :eek:f

Really a bummer of it's only a year old. My buddy is still rocking his from 09, and I've still got my original from 2010

Emery19

Reaction score
I have not replaced the SD card buy my computer read it fine and such so I thought that might be a key sign to being bad. I could try that but Id have to go get one and figure out how to format it.

The last thing I have to do this weekend is I'm going to wire the power wire to see if cycling it the key will help it get past the logo screen. I'm not to confident on my wiring abilities, most I've wired is a head unit. So well see how that goes.. Doubt it'll fix my problem though.

I bought it august of 2013. And I've maybe put 12k on the truck since then. It basically sat all winter both winters and if it was too hot out or during the winter I'd bring the tuner inside so it didn't get the fluctuating temperatures.

As far as who I bought it from, they used to be a vendor on this site, however I haven't seen them post in a long time so I don't think Thats a route I can take :-/

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Understand. SD cards will often read fine on a computer, but may not be read fine by the head unit for whatever reason. I've never seen one freeze on the boot screen because of a bad card, though :(

The power wire should definitely always be used, and the mount needs to be bent in such a way so as to prevent the thing from vibrating/bouncing while you're driving down the road.

Hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, LMK. I'll see what I can do.

tight

Reaction score
I believe it should boot up even without the card I would think you have a corrupt software in the mini max ,is their an update that you haven't tried ? or an older version that you could try?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I've seen them freeze up like this and/or just glitch out in general. I'm assuming it's one little chip/circuit on the board that's weak.

Had one that would show that it wasn't installed in the lower right corner sometimes and you couldn't change power levels. It would also freeze on the main screen sometimes, and it also would get very dim at times.

Had to just replace the head unit :(

Emery19

Reaction score
Understand. SD cards will often read fine on a computer, but may not be read fine by the head unit for whatever reason. I've never seen one freeze on the boot screen because of a bad card, though :(

The power wire should definitely always be used, and the mount needs to be bent in such a way so as to prevent the thing from vibrating/bouncing while you're driving down the road.

Hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, LMK. I'll see what I can do.

i'll mess with it this weekend, im just frustrated because of the money i spent on it, and im about to spend a good chunk of change on new tires, so this was the last thing i needed to be messing with. i kept putting off installing the power wire because the truck wasn't driven to much and i just kept putting off, so this may be my fault for not installing it right away, however i didnt think it would cause and adverse effect.

i didnt have the issue all the time before i installed my blend mount.. and once i moved it up above the mirror is when it really started to mess up on me.. i wonder if it wasn't as snug on that mount as it should have been and the vibrations and bouncing did something.

we will see. i appreciate all the help man, ill keep you updated on what i figure out this weekend when i can go mess with it. the one good thing is the truck is stock in the stock power level tune and the delete tune is loaded so i can drive it and be able to monitor the important vitals with my second gauge and not have to worry to much.

Emery19

Reaction score
would anyone be able to take a picture of where the stupid purple wire under the dash is and how they have their wire run. i was crawling under the dash the other day and i cannot for the life of me find that stupid wire...all kinds of purple and every other wire under the sun wires, but no solid purple.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Just saw this post. Just a tip. Might not help At all. But I have had a couple here lately that had bad SD cards as mentioned and some missing files. I keep a couple new 2gb only SanDisk cards here and always do the full download. The one that takes 30 minutes or so. Never had one with a bad head unit but I'm thankful I get all mine from a really reputable guy.

dseitler

Reaction score
If you do not have the MiniMax installed and wired correctly the head unit will lock up. If you run the head unit on battery power power alone when you do a key cycle there is a 50/50 chance the head unit will lock up and the display will not change numbers and will stay frozen in its last position. You must hook the unit up to a stable battery power and use the ignition wire as described in the manual Mike has provided. If the unit does lock. Unplug the unit from the OBD11 only! Do not drop the power from the unit and make it crash. You are playing with a 2000.00 unit that is in short supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emery19

Reaction score
well i figured out why i couldnt find the purple wire. when i had the crappy remote start the p/o had installed out because it wasnt working, they left the entire harness in the truck.. and the purple wire was connected to it and so i just snipped her, connected the mini maxx and thing works like a charm now, so far so good. thanks for all the help/advice guys!

Members online

No members online now.