01 Injector/Miss Question

DHFF

Reaction score
Truck has ran pretty decent until recently I've noticed the truck has a stumble when its idling and also when its under load. Its not all the time nor is it throwing a code. I have an Insight CTS on it and am monitoring IPR, ICP, and the rest of the essentials other than fuel pressure which I will soon. I can't find anything out of the ordinary watching the 10 gauge monitor. It just started this in the last week or so and appears to be getting slightly worse.

Question is, am I able to diagnose something like a miss or an injector without putting the truck on a professional tester? I use the truck literally everyday and have a hard time getting it scheduled into a shop to diagnose because no one will do it same day.

I run power service treatment every tank and other than that the mods are in the sig. It runs really good other than the stumble/miss.

Any ideas? I understand there are many things that are unanswered but just looking at things I may be able to check out in the hotel parking lot, as I am familiar with the engine bay.... Thanks in advance!

DHFF

Reaction score
Check the UVCH connectors?

Sorry, about a month ago I replaced both VC gaskets and UVC connectors inside because I had one shorted that killed the passenger bank. Put them on and ran great.

Arisley

Reaction score
Wiggle the plugs on the outside. Unhook them and hook them back up. A month is just about right for a little corrosion to build up. If that works, unhook them, spray some contact cleaner on them. Let them dry for a minute or so, wipe some dielectric grease on them, hook them up and rock on.

DHFF

Reaction score
Wiggle the plugs on the outside. Unhook them and hook them back up. A month is just about right for a little corrosion to build up. If that works, unhook them, spray some contact cleaner on them. Let them dry for a minute or so, wipe some dielectric grease on them, hook them up and rock on.

Are you chitting me? Its that simple? Will the inside be ok since there is oil everywhere? I will do that tomorrow!

Now that you say that its VERY random when it does it. Just a really weird miss but not enough to cause a code or raise enough suspicion to stop driving it. Thanks man I will try that tomorrow. Come to think of it I didn't smear any dielectric in them......

Arisley

Reaction score
Are you chitting me? Its that simple? Will the inside be ok since there is oil everywhere? I will do that tomorrow!

Now that you say that its VERY random when it does it. Just a really weird miss but not enough to cause a code or raise enough suspicion to stop driving it. Thanks man I will try that tomorrow. Come to think of it I didn't smear any dielectric in them......

Start with the ones on the outside. If that doesn't work, pull the valve covers.

how long has it been since you changed your oil? and what oil are you running?

live life full throttle

This could also be the issue. My truck always let me know when it was time for an oil change.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
About 100 miles ago and Im running Rotella.
that is about the same miles that it would start doing the same in my truck. I tried many oils and cheveron delo 15-40 is about the only oil that will idle nice past 3500 miles... id get that chit outta there.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
or add 3 of these
52d41d361cdb5d9be10ba33628081da2.jpg

live life full throttle

DHFF

Reaction score
Really? I've ran Mobil, Motorcraft, and Rotella in this truck and never really noticed a difference.

I did the dielectric grease this morning on inside and outside of the harness and no change. Its a very random miss. Could I have used TOO much Power Service additive? Is that even possible? I never measure it I just dump some in.....

I like the Shaeffer stuff I may try to find a shop that has some of that for the oil.

Arisley

Reaction score
My truck hates Rotella. It starts running bad at around 1000 miles. The HPOP shears it really fast. I have good luck with Valvoline.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

DHFF

Reaction score
My truck hates Rotella. It starts running bad at around 1000 miles. The HPOP shears it really fast. I have good luck with Valvoline.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

Interesting. Maybe I will drop the oil then and put that or Mobil in it.

DHFF

Reaction score
Come to think of it, the truck idles perfect when you first fire it up...... I wonder if it isn't the oil. WTF I NEVER have a truck that just runs right....

Do you guys think a cam sensor could cause this? Its not throwing a code, but the symptoms sound really familiar compared to others on the forums. I hear a lot of people have had issues with them. Just a thought.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Really? I've ran Mobil, Motorcraft, and Rotella in this truck and never really noticed a difference.

I did the dielectric grease this morning on inside and outside of the harness and no change. Its a very random miss. Could I have used TOO much Power Service additive? Is that even possible? I never measure it I just dump some in.....

I like the Shaeffer stuff I may try to find a shop that has some of that for the oil.
no such thing as too much additve..
Interesting. Maybe I will drop the oil then and put that or Mobil in it.
try the chevron delo.. I have four 7.3s that prove to like it better then tye rest of the dino oils..
Come to think of it, the truck idles perfect when you first fire it up...... I wonder if it isn't the oil. WTF I NEVER have a truck that just runs right....

Do you guys think a cam sensor could cause this? Its not throwing a code, but the symptoms sound really familiar compared to others on the forums. I hear a lot of people have had issues with them. Just a thought.
yes,
A faulty cam sensor can cause many, many different issues.
thats for dam sure.. cam/gear end play will *** up a lot of chit too...

live life full throttle

DHFF

Reaction score
Problem solved! It was the CPS. **** that was an easy fix. Although it does still just sound a little different, I am definitely not running Rotella in it again. I may try that Delo I saw it at Napa today on sale for 12.99 a jug which is what I paid for the Rotella.

Thanks for the help guys! Feel much better about my haul from Detroit back to Baytown.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Problem solved! It was the CPS. **** that was an easy fix. Although it does still just sound a little different, I am definitely not running Rotella in it again. I may try that Delo I saw it at Napa today on sale for 12.99 a jug which is what I paid for the Rotella.

Thanks for the help guys! Feel much better about my haul from Detroit back to Baytown.
good deal. delo is less then 12 bucks a gallon at any walmart across america .

live life full throttle

TARM

Reaction score
If you bought a CPS from Ford I would suggest you to get a Delphi HT101G and get the engine running the way it was first designed to.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.