01 tow rig and dd injectors

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
I have also been wondering this also. Why you would choose a 1XX/(X)XX injector in a mild build over the 200/80 he offers. Another thought i have is with proper tuning is 200/80 a very wise choice on a PMR engine vs. 1XX/(X)XX?

We have done several set of 200's for PMR engines. For that matter we have ton a ton of 230's for PMR engines as well.

Jacob 76

Reaction score
Tim, thank you for helping shed some light on this. I actually didn't know there were too many nozzles smaller than 100% overs. I've heard of 80% nozzles but never 30s. Like I said before, 500 HP would be more than enough for this truck so I think either of those would be ok. I have a T500 in my OBS which is what I think I'll upgrade to on this in the near future. My plan for the build is (???) injectors, T500, T4 kit with an S466 along with some other smaller stuff but those are the big ones. It will definitely get live tuned once I'm done. So for that specifically, what injector would you recommend?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if this is going to be a dd/tow pig, why go with a t4 and that turbo? throw a billet 38r on that thing a rock on!! would go very well tims injectors...

live life full throttle

CurtisF

Reaction score
A higher injection pressure will always equal better atomization. This in turn equals better mileage, more HP and cleaner/more complete burn (less smoke).

I'll disagree.

My truck with 250/200's passes emissions tests with the EXACT same opacity numbers as bone stock tuning/injectors. Except it makes far more HP, gets the same fuel economy, and runs at much lower EGT's.

And I'll make far less smoke at 325 hp than bone stock injectors with their higher injection pressure and better atomization.

In fact, I'll make far less smoke at 400 hp than bone stock injectors at 325hp.

Point is higher IP doesn't mean better in all scenarios. It depends on WHERE in the power spectrum of an injector's capability you are running.

It's far too often that someone wants to make "X" hp, and the recommendations come pouring in for an injector, HPOP, turbo, whatever combo that will just barely get you there. Problem is that just barely getting there leaves you with a lot of power that is unusable for anything other than a very short burst. And when you do hit that peak that it can possibly make, you're running with a ton of smoke and EGT's that rival a thermonuclear meltdown.

Instead, get a combination that will supply MORE than what your goal is, and then tune specifically to reach ONLY your goal. You'll be surprised at how much more power you can use on a daily basis this way.

And with correct tuning, you'll be surprised at how good it runs. But that's the trick, getting the correct tuning. Still so many tunes out there that just can't dial injectors in properly to run streetable.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Tim, thank you for helping shed some light on this. I actually didn't know there were too many nozzles smaller than 100% overs. I've heard of 80% nozzles but never 30s. Like I said before, 500 HP would be more than enough for this truck so I think either of those would be ok. I have a T500 in my OBS which is what I think I'll upgrade to on this in the near future. My plan for the build is (???) injectors, T500, T4 kit with an S466 along with some other smaller stuff but those are the big ones. It will definitely get live tuned once I'm done. So for that specifically, what injector would you recommend?

You'll never make 500hp with 30% nozzles. And if you are ever able to do it, your EGT's will be hotter than the sun.

Jacob 76

Reaction score
if this is going to be a dd/tow pig, why go with a t4 and that turbo? throw a billet 38r on that thing a rock on!! would go very well tims injectors...

live life full throttle

Because I HATE pedestal mount turbos! I think they were a mistake from the word go. My friend keeps telling me to try a billet 63/68 but I'm afraid that might be a little on the small side.

I'll disagree.

My truck with 250/200's passes emissions tests with the EXACT same opacity numbers as bone stock tuning/injectors. Except it makes far more HP, gets the same fuel economy, and runs at much lower EGT's.

And I'll make far less smoke at 325 hp than bone stock injectors with their higher injection pressure and better atomization.

In fact, I'll make far less smoke at 400 hp than bone stock injectors at 325hp.

Point is higher IP doesn't mean better in all scenarios. It depends on WHERE in the power spectrum of an injector's capability you are running.

It's far too often that someone wants to make "X" hp, and the recommendations come pouring in for an injector, HPOP, turbo, whatever combo that will just barely get you there. Problem is that just barely getting there leaves you with a lot of power that is unusable for anything other than a very short burst. And when you do hit that peak that it can possibly make, you're running with a ton of smoke and EGT's that rival a thermonuclear meltdown.

Instead, get a combination that will supply MORE than what your goal is, and then tune specifically to reach ONLY your goal. You'll be surprised at how much more power you can use on a daily basis this way.

And with correct tuning, you'll be surprised at how good it runs. But that's the trick, getting the correct tuning. Still so many tunes out there that just can't dial injectors in properly to run streetable.

As far as making power... I couldn't care less what an arbitrary HP number says as long as the truck runs how I want it. As long as it does; what I want, at the speed I want, in the time I want, the actual number means absolutely nothing. That's why I haven't actually given a HP goal in this thread. Someone else threw out 500 and from riding in different trucks I know that would be more than enough.

Edit from earlier posts, I didn't realize Bruce and Dan recommended PIS 160/30s. I saw 160 and my mind immediately went to 100% nozzles because that is what most are and I'm used to seeing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Because I HATE pedestal mount turbos! I think they were a mistake from the word go. My friend keeps telling me to try a billet 63/68 but I'm afraid that might be a little on the small side.

As far as making power... I couldn't care less what an arbitrary HP number says as long as the truck runs how I want it. As long as it does; what I want, at the speed I want, in the time I want, the actual number means absolutely nothing. That's why I haven't actually given a HP goal in this thread. Someone else threw out 500 and from riding in different trucks I know that would be more than enough.

Edit from earlier posts, I didn't realize Bruce and Dan recommended PIS 160/30s. I saw 160 and my mind immediately went to 100% nozzles because that is what most are and I'm used to seeing.
why the hate? mine seems to do its job. trqck times put my dually at 470ish hp and it stays in the hot tune all the time. even when towing my 13k pound fifth wheel... never got hot enough to worry about it.

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score

160/100s won't get yout 500 hp either...
They do tow well though.

Jacob 76

Reaction score
Again, I don't care if a 160 will or will not support 500 HP. I asked a very specific question for a very specific application. At this point I think I've decided what injector I'm going to run.

Jason

Reaction score
Everytime someone starts an injector thread, people automatically assume a guy is trying to make 500hp with one of these old shti box motors.

Not everybody is looking for a certain horsepower, or to run a certain time at the track, or do they always have some crazy performance idea. He wants a truck that tows hard, runs cool, smoke free, and is dead balls reliable... pis 175/30s and a 38r. No need for anything more, running something detuned to reach his goals etc. :jerkoff:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Everytime someone starts an injector thread, people automatically assume a guy is trying to make 500hp with one of these old shti box motors.

Not everybody is looking for a certain horsepower, or to run a certain time at the track, or do they always have some crazy performance idea. He wants a truck that tows hard, runs cool, smoke free, and is dead balls reliable... pis 175/30s and a 38r. No need for anything more, running something detuned to reach his goals etc. :jerkoff:
10 ***in 4!!!

live life full throttle

CurtisF

Reaction score

Two things

First is that a vast majority of injector threads the OP doesn't really state a clear goal, so everyone shotguns from the hip.

Second is that when a goal is finally established, the majority of suggestions consist of a combo that will just barely reach that goal in the most inefficient and most expensive way possible.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
everyone gets bit by the bug so i often recommend larger injectors to have later down the road.. but i also recommend a live tune session because they can be finicky. if not then stay wih a stage 2...

live life full throttle

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Sorry for Thread Jack but i feel this somewhat applies,

Tim, What tuner do you recommend for your Injectors? Looking at Powerstruck but not set on them yet.

Purchasing your 175/80's this Friday from CNC Fabrication along with other supporting mods. Studs, springs, fuel lines, and few others.

My Goal is a reliable 450 HP and dont plan on going any bigger.

Thanks,

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Still think you should reconsider and go with a Honey badger over the T-500...

haha im actually going to rock the stock one for now. Didnt ever change my sig.

Ill see how it does for now then upgrade if it cant keep up. At least it not sumthin id have to open the heads up over again. No big deal if i gotta do it later.

Latest posts

Members online