05' engine removal tips

slc6oh

Reaction score
also, what about the filter under the hood? does it stay there or what?

slc dzl

Reaction score
I am not sure if the irate clear, but Dennis uses banjo bolts and i know that my set clears them.
He offers a kit fuel bowl ****** kit or the standard kit retains the oem filter housing.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I know this is off topic but, do you work at a Detroit Diesel shop? The shop pics look like the color scheme of a Detroit shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes sir. Im master certified dd 13/15/16 mechanic

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
Thought that looked familiar. I am too. Although I don't work on them that much. Usually oil field equipment. EPA hasn't got to us as bad as over the road.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Thought that looked familiar. I am too. Although I don't work on them that much. Usually oil field equipment. EPA hasn't got to us as bad as over the road.

Man, all day every day dd15 oil leaks.. Flat rate treats me well for the most part

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
Man, all day every day dd15 oil leaks.. Flat rate treats me well for the most part
I've heard about the oil leaks. Right at the cam cradle and the oil filter module. When I took my instructor class he said the first tool we would need was a camera. That thing is a plumbers nightmare.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I've heard about the oil leaks. Right at the cam cradle and the oil filter module. When I took my instructor class he said the first tool we would need was a camera. That thing is a plumbers nightmare.

Cam frame,oil module, oil tstat, oil module side plug, fuel pump, air compressor, oil spinner.... Head gaskets on ghg's All day every day

Money money money :)

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
Cam frame,oil module, oil tstat, oil module side plug, fuel pump, air compressor, oil spinner.... Head gaskets on ghg's All day every day

Money money money :)
Yes sir. My wife used to complain about me smelling of diesel till I got her to understand that was the smell of money.

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
Yuuup. Oh and nox codes. Haha
Those I do get to deal with time to time. I sometimes have the pleasure of tier 4 502's and MTU 1000's. Grove cranes and new manufacture drilling rigs. They are a joy.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Those I do get to deal with time to time. I sometimes have the pleasure of tier 4 502's and MTU 1000's. Grove cranes and new manufacture drilling rigs. They are a joy.

Yea, no mtu or off highway stuff for me thank god. Haha

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
I actually prefer industrial. The engines are usually easy to get to. Plus I'm in field service so no boss looking over my shoulder.

Reaction score
I spent a long aggravating day balancing my ribs on the core support just trying to prep for new injectors, EGR ******, etc... 2 hours into the next day, after fighting with all the stripped bolt heads and various short cuts from the Ford dealer that did a gasket job previously, I decided I could have just pulled it out and had it on a stand in far less time with far less fight. So I switched gears and pulled it out to do a complete "bulletproofing". I think you made the right choice! The only thing I did different from you is that I removed the bumper/rad support, that only took about 30 minutes, so I think you would have been time ahead there. Plus it makes a great access to stand while unbolting everything. Wish I would have just pulled it to begin with like you did, but I wasn't on this forum yet to ask opinions, so I just look at initial time wasted as my price of admission. I also realize that it is fully doable in the engine bay, but for me its seems sooo much easier working on the engine stand. Also gives me the chance to address other issues in engine bay, as well as the perfect opportunity to upgrade the converter and input shaft.

pdumont01

Reaction score
^^ what he said I always remove bumper and headlight support then you can walk right in and put the whole thing together instead of working over it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
Awesome job man! I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to stuff like this even though I've done infinitely harder things in life. Now you got me wanting to try and pull one. I bet it's nice to have access to a nice shop like that. Btw, did you pull it with an engine hoist or one of the cranes on a truck?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have a 5ton 4way overhead crane over my bays which made it slick.

slc6oh

Reaction score
6876c6d462c4e41bf879bf0e37f5b5e7.jpg
1e706c0d26ecb0ce534a0a819e14cef6.jpg

Had to mock everything up before i pulled the heads just to see ;)

Latest posts

Members online