08 5R110W

buckster

Reaction score
My '08 F250 (job 3) transmission is currently out of commission. I am assuming it needs a rebuild, but thinking of having it towed to a local shop to confirm it isn't just a solenoid. I am in the Houston, Texas area. It has been driving fine lately, but I did have a slight delay when going into reverse for a while now. Finally parked at work yesterday, and it won't go in drive. When in P, it feels like it wants to go in reverse until it hits a stop. When in R N and sometimes D, the truck only moves in reverse. In 1 2 and 3, it'll roll forward a couple inches then seems to hit a stop. A slight pump of the accelerator pedal and it seems to want to go forward, feels as if it is not engaging, but I didn't give it much as I didn't want to make it worse. So I essentially just have reverse. Does this seem like an internal hard part or could it potentially be a solenoid? Fluid level is good and does not smell burnt. I tried re-flashing the tune and cycling the key on/off as some had said that may help unstick a solenoid, but nothing made a difference to how the truck was acting.

Truck has stock transmission and converter. Has approx. 130k miles on it. I rebuilt the engine myself at 110k or so to fix the head gaskets and made several upgrades. Never dyno'd, but probably around 550-600 rwhp. Running IDP tunes since I bought the truck new in '08 (started at 5000 miles), so I don't think it is the tuning.

As I said, truck is currently stuck at my work parking lot. I need to make a decision on where to tow it and get a game plan figured out. If it's potentially just a solenoid, then I may tow it to a dealer or shop that can hopefully scan it and narrow it down to which component. If certain a rebuild is needed, I will probably have to tow it home and start pulling out the transmission myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sootie

Reaction score
get a gauge in the test port in the side of the case and see what is going on.

buckster

Reaction score
Truck is currently near 290 and Bingle.
If I tow it to do any work on it myself, I'll have to tow it to Deer Park where I have my tools and such.

buckster

Reaction score
No check engine light, no flashing tow haul light, and no codes present when I tried to read them with my SCT tuner.

I found a 300psi gauge and did the line pressure test while at idle. The trans temp maintained at 163-165°F during the test. Here are the results:

Gear Indicator (pressure psig)
P (90)
R (95-100) - Going into reverse, the pressure slowly rose to 260, then quickly settled at 95-100.
N (90)
D (80) - Going into drive, the pressure slowly rose to 270, there was a slight delay, clunk noise heard, then quickly settled at 80.
3 (85-90) - Going into 3rd, there was a clunk noise.
2 (90)
1 (85-90)
When putting it back into P, there was a clunk noise.

I took a video and will try to upload it. Maybe that will help more than the above descriptions.

Link to YouTube video of test. Sorry that the gauge is upside down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qDaIJc9ws&sns=em

Please let me know if you can help narrow down the issue from this.

sootie

Reaction score
pump looks good. i am leaning toward shattered low/reverse hub. drop the pan and see if it has any material in the bottom

patricku47

Reaction score
If you haven't figured it out by Sunday, shoot me a PM and I can tow it wherever it needs to go for you. I've got a great local trans shop in the Clear Lake area that I recommend to everyone too.

Latest posts

Members online