08 f-250 Cummins swap

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook Lee, I think he oughta stick with the 6.4.... I know you guys are making nice power with the cummins and all but with way less work than it would be to swap the engine he could have a really fast 6.4 and never have to worry about any of the gremlins that come with a swap like that.

SAK

Reaction score
There is A LOT of work to make it work. The wiring is a NIGHTMARE, we could not get the stock gauge cluster to work so we put in a Dakota Digital unit. Then making the Ford transfer case work with the 48RE, bolt up wasn't bad but making the 4wd switch on the dash work was not an easy task. We used a PCS controller to control the 48RE, I had probably 40 hrs just in tuning the controller to have good DD characteristics. We did it with a 12v cause the customer wanted a 900+ HP DD with reliability, fuel quality was a major concern since it was going to Dubai. Plus this was in 08 when the power that is available now with just minor bolt-ons was not existent.

I think that the guy can bullet proof his 6.4 for less than the conversion would cost and it is a lot less headaches in the long run.

To each there own though.

Moremph

Reaction score
There is A LOT of work to make it work. The wiring is a NIGHTMARE, we could not get the stock gauge cluster to work so we put in a Dakota Digital unit. Then making the Ford transfer case work with the 48RE, bolt up wasn't bad but making the 4wd switch on the dash work was not an easy task. We used a PCS controller to control the 48RE, I had probably 40 hrs just in tuning the controller to have good DD characteristics. We did it with a 12v cause the customer wanted a 900+ HP DD with reliability, fuel quality was a major concern since it was going to Dubai. Plus this was in 08 when the power that is available now with just minor bolt-ons was not existent.

I think that the guy can bullet proof his 6.4 for less than the conversion would cost and it is a lot less headaches in the long run.

To each there own though.

Agreed, Common rail conversion is a step backwards

dusty9

Reaction score
i know it seems like small stuff but he wants more power but dont have the $ to do it in a 6.4 because everything is so expensive. wants the newer 5.9 so efi can be used. goal is 800hp on single charger fuel only which will be pretty easy with BMW charger and some good sticks and efi tuning

800hp seems pretty easy on a single charger 6.4 :shrug:
s475, dual hpfp pumps, and 100% injectors is a start plus the supporting mods and tuning. :rockon:

08KingRanchF250

Reaction score
i think this is a cool idea but a PITA for sure!! and yes i think a single charger 6.4 with dual fuelers will cost less and make just as much power,and still be pretty dang relieable for a 900hp dd lol, at least this is what im going for... the 6.4 has its problems like any other powerplant, but we have the remedies to fix the problems and these things seem to be holding up pretty well at high hp with the right parts..

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
Sounds like he needs to take his 6.4 to a shop that knows how to work on them and build power with it. Of course he's gonna want to swap if all he has is you telling him how much more of a pain in the a$$ the 6.4 is to work on than the cummins, and then sees you with more HP than him... I understand the HP advantages of a cummins swap into a 7.3 or 6.0 because of the significant HP per dollar difference, even though i'd never do it, but with a knowledgeable person working on his truck, and the money that he would have spent on the swap invested in go fast parts, I think 800 horse shouldn't be any problem at all. just my humble $.02

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Here is what's left of an 06 dodge 5.9 cummins.... Truck was stock... I wouldn't want one in my truck, that engine wasn't very old either, had injector go bad and took out cylinder with it.....

Ya the cummins can make some sick power easily but there will still be little issues to deal with no matter what engine is in it makin that much power....

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/Jacobpsd03/bf10566e.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/Jacobpsd03/b95a0931.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/Jacobpsd03/373227ad.jpg

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
Seams to me that the swap would cost way more than the hp goal.

Dual fuelers will solve the line breaking issues.
6.0 manifolds and new uppipes will solve that issue
Mpd offers manifolds and uppipes too.

.... I.personally think it's a step backwards. Pick your poison I guess

Best of luck on the swap
:whs: The guy's already got studs and LP fuel. just repair using Dustin's suggestions, and add some HP fuel, air, and a trans to handle it. These engines have proven extremely reliable.

I just bought a Duramax. Gonna swap my 7.3 in it. Tired of it being reliable

:clapping: please tell me you're gonna put banks stickers and a batmowheel on it!!!LOL
800hp seems pretty easy on a single charger 6.4 :shrug:
s475, dual hpfp pumps, and 100% injectors is a start plus the supporting mods and tuning. :rockon:
I believe the customer will be doing more than racing. I have yet to hear of a satisfied single configuration s475 owner who likes/needs to have power on tap at less than 2500 rpm's. While this combo will get you the power, so will max power compounds (yes, I know they cost more, but this is one of those deals where you get what you pay for), and they are great on the street

dusty9

Reaction score
I believe the customer will be doing more than racing. I have yet to hear of a satisfied single configuration s475 owner who likes/needs to have power on tap at less than 2500 rpm's. While this combo will get you the power, so will max power compounds (yes, I know they cost more, but this is one of those deals where you get what you pay for), and they are great on the street

I understand your point and agree that compounds would be more streetable. I have know idea what the customer is doing with his truck but it did say he wanted wanted a single charger 800hp truck. I just stated a known combo that would make 800hp at least. He could try running a smaller combo and tuning it to 800hp if he wanted and ultimately how it drives on the street is up to him.

Back on track thow we can agree that he doesn't need to put a cummins in it! :fustrate:

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
I understand your point and agree that compounds would be more streetable. I have know idea what the customer is doing with his truck but it did say he wanted wanted a single charger 800hp truck. I just stated a known combo that would make 800hp at least. He could try running a smaller combo and tuning it to 800hp if he wanted and ultimately how it drives on the street is up to him.

Back on track thow we can agree that he doesn't need to put a cummins in it! :fustrate:
:like:

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Just wondering, why is the owner worried about what a pain in the ass it is to work on when your doing the work for him? :confused:

-Jake-

SAK

Reaction score
Just wondering, why is the owner worried about what a pain in the ass it is to work on when your doing the work for him? :confused:

-Jake-

My guess is labor charges. But the labor to do the CR swap is going to be WAY up there to get it all to work right. I don't see the trade off.

TheBigDeOGE

Reaction score
Sounds like he needs to take his 6.4 to a shop that knows how to work on them and build power with it. Of course he's gonna want to swap if all he has is you telling him how much more of a pain in the a$$ the 6.4 is to work on than the cummins, and then sees you with more HP than him... I understand the HP advantages of a cummins swap into a 7.3 or 6.0 because of the significant HP per dollar difference, even though i'd never do it, but with a knowledgeable person working on his truck, and the money that he would have spent on the swap invested in go fast parts, I think 800 horse shouldn't be any problem at all. just my humble $.02

we dont know what were doing? we got the cab off with no lift, put Bmw's in with cab on, studs with cab on and can replace up pipes with cab on. it was just an idea didnt need you to tell me "We dont know what were doing"

as for all the non computer cowboys thanks for the good input. yall got good points. it is gonna be a pain. he has decided if he cant get a good deal on selling his motor then he's just gonna fix what he has. he knows he's gonna have to do some tranny work if he keeps going. he isnt against fixing his truck it just seems like its always one thing after another. its one of those things with cummins you can listen to and drive and tell whats wrong with it...fords (no offense) you have to have a computer or have to take alot of stuff off just to find the problem. just an idea. thanks for the input will keep you guys posted.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
Congrats on doing all that stuff with the cab on... now we know why you think it's such a pain to work on:pointlaugh: and why your customer is sinking so much money into the labor bill that he doesn't have enough left to spend on HP:doh:

TheBigDeOGE

Reaction score
Congrats on doing all that stuff with the cab on... now we know why you think it's such a pain to work on:pointlaugh: and why your customer is sinking so much money into the labor bill that he doesn't have enough left to spend on HP:doh:

not charging him for over half because we dont know if its our fault or his but just the point of its a PITA to work on. you can go back to comp d will all your other friends. you input is no longer needed...:axe:

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Honestly...I personally don't see the benefit of doing this swap for reliability...i'd go single turbo 6.4 with dual pumps and 100%'s like everyones said

All of the things that need done to make the swap work and be clean making everything work like factory would bug me. Plus the money that is going to be needed to buy everything you could easily make a powerful 6.4 cheaper

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.