08 Sucking Snow Into Filter

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
So as the tittle says I'm having a problem with sucking snow into my air filter.

Years ago I had a TSB done by a dealer ship because of it packing the air box full of snow and tripping the air filter minder. They apparently installed an updated intake tube and it was suppose to help stop this problem. After a a bad trip of having my air box fill up with fine snow by driving through minor snow drifts and having to buy a new filter and come up with a rednecked up snow prevention method to get home, I'm kinda thinking there wasn't anything done.

Does any one have pics or part numbers of the stock intake pipe and the updated one?

Any Ideas to stop this?

Spatel23

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of an updated intake tube, but I do know Ford sells some sort of winter front.

It's basically a black mesh windscreen that fastens to your grill.

I'm sure some of the northern folk will be able to chime in with part #s and pictures.

You dont have to go with a ford one either, other companies make them also.

tensixniner

Reaction score
:whs:

Use the winter front grill cover.
It's not mesh but vinyl and has straps to attach to the grill. Works good.

Don't know anything about updated piping either.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I just took the snorkle off all together. It's extremly small and restrictive anyways and the intake still gets cold air from above the wheel well liner area. Have done it to all our trucks with no issues.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
We have a vinyl winter front and it was to warm for that to be used that day. The whole front end of the truck, behind the hood/grill assembly has a fine screen across it 365 and it wouldn't have stopped any of this snow.

The snow was so fine and blowing up every where, this is from hitting maybe 4-6 in deep drifts. It wasn't like I was out hammering drifts bumper deep just some times typical driving around here.

I would have pulled the air box intake pipe but didn't have the right tools to do it and doubt it would have made a difference.

Attachments

• 0304131800a.jpg
    0304131800a.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 0304132049a.jpg
    0304132049a.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 59

tensixniner

Reaction score
You definately encountered some interesting weather.
How warm was it that you could have fine blowing snow but not be able to block the grill.

Other than the grille cover and maybe pulling the cover off the filter box I can't think of anything else that would help.

Are you running a tuner?

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Do you have the rubber pieces behind the head light? There just rubber flaps. Came stock just wondering if they may have been removed. I live in MI and see pretty nasty weather as well as a ton of of road in deep snow and have never had an issue

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
tensixniner

It was -15 or so when we left at 5 AM and the filter was plugged by 8:30, by then it was near 0. Was up to +10 all day then the temps dropped to -15 again but was snowing sideways by then.

We did prop the air box lid open with a garbage bag of the whole assembly, with a shirt stuffed in the intake pipe and that got us home without any snow in the filter.

blk350on20s

No there isn't any rubber flat behind the head light. if you look past the head light you can see the intake pipe. Got a pic of it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.