1971 C-20 Cummins swap

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Just a little update. Dropped the block, head, crank and rods off at the machine shop today. And I bought a full rebuild kit, one rod & a cam retainer kit. The rebuild kit and de-lipped pistons should arrive later this week. Then I'll have to drop the new pistons off at the machine shop so he can balance my rotating assembly.

Sent while I probably should be doing something productive.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Well I got the engine back from the machine shop on Saturday! It got the following treatment; clean block & head, hone cylinders, main line check with ARP studs, disassemble & inspect head, balance crank and rotating assembly, magnaflux head and crank, polish & clean crank, install new guides and liners, fit valves and reassemble, o-ring block, surface head. A good way to spend $1,440
ate4uqyg.jpg

Patiently waiting for the Hamilton cam, ARP head studs, injection lines, and ATI dampener.
gajumyje.jpg

Before today's tear down.
by8umyqe.jpg

3.5hrs later.
gynupyty.jpg

Tearing the old 12v to a striped long block. I have a guy in OH. that wants to com get it this week.

Twan

Reaction score
Nice build. My buddy has a 69 he did the cummins swap in. It was in diesle power mag, from the Tony Wildman dyno event.

Drive shaft angle is key on them. He had to drop his lift and change a few things because of it.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Nice build. My buddy has a 69 he did the cummins swap in. It was in diesle power mag, from the Tony Wildman dyno event.

Drive shaft angle is key on them. He had to drop his lift and change a few things because of it.

Thanks man. I don't think I'll have too many issues. Hopefully the Dana 60 & 14 bolt will take the abuse. Just need to decide on lockers.

Twan

Reaction score
That's what's he running, and super singles 42" tires. He has a detroit in the back.

They are sweet old trucks. You'll love it.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Yes they are! I really wanna do a crew cab long box with either a 6.6L or a 6.4L. But im not good at body work lol

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Not much progress this week. Waiting on the old 12v long block to sell. And need time to start assembly on the new engine.

But I did find this. So clean, subtle and original! Gonna have one custom made. Guy I follow on instagram has one in his '72 with a duramax swap/ zf6 and he loves his.
bubenu3y.jpg

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Well I ran all over the state today picking up parts and this is what I came home with!
aje4ady7.jpg

Hamilton 181/210 cam
Scheid .073 p-pump 24v injection lines
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
ARP dampener bolts
Bosch rack plug (Mack)
OEM feed tubes with new o-rings
OEM '94-97 12v p-pump case.

Ohhh and I got my hands on an industrial Cummins 24v valve cover. I had it cleaned up.

Before.
e7yha5eb.jpg

After. (Sorry for crappy pics. I'll take better tomorrow when I get my hands on it.)
abeheta3.jpg

e6asygun.jpg

Tomorrow is assembly day! Pictures will be updated along the way.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been busy with work and trying to get this knocked out and ready to shoe horn back into the truck.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
ypugyme2.jpg

Got it all taped off and painted this weekend. This was the first coat of Duplicolor Chevy Orange 1720.

aqy5y9um.jpg

va7a3aqa.jpg

se3ugyve.jpg

Now I just have to send my pump gear out for core to have a custom adjustable timing gear made. It will look like this
3eneqeqa.jpg

Its adjustable from 0° to 40° in 2° increments.
Then instead of buying the $350 aluminum front cover with access plate to adjust the timing, I'm gonna make one. I found this idea on CompD looks simple and I think it should work great.
a5yrubah.jpg

Last edited:

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
They are my hands down favorite classic truck! I kinda wanna build another already hahahaha.

Agreed! I've had dozens of vehicles of a wide variety, but that truck has always eluded me. Two of my friends both have one. One is a 68 rcsb 2wd all hot rodded out and the other is a 70 or 71 rcsb 4x4 all original except a small suspension lift with 32s I think.

I have been trying to buy the 4x4 off him for years with no luck! Lol

But if he decides to sell it I will own it!

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Agreed! I've had dozens of vehicles of a wide variety, but that truck has always eluded me. Two of my friends both have one. One is a 68 rcsb 2wd all hot rodded out and the other is a 70 or 71 rcsb 4x4 all original except a small suspension lift with 32s I think.

I have been trying to buy the 4x4 off him for years with no luck! Lol

But if he decides to sell it I will own it!

Clean ones worth restoring are getting very hard to find up in the rust belt.

Latest posts

Members online