1996 7.3 will not start

gsddag

Reaction score
Trk is daily driver was runing fine, but 3 differant times when the rear tank was near mty the engine started missing I switched to front tank engine ran ok refilled rear tank ran ok until, loaned to my daughter had 1/4 in rear tank quit on her after about 12 mi. went to try to start it, put 5 gal. fuel in front tank checked fuel bowl, was full would not start had white smoke at exaust I asume the smoke means it was getting fuel. The oil level is at the add line they ran the 4 way flashers app. 45 mi. Please help
Ps don't know the meaning of all the abrevations you guys use such as: FPR, ICP, IPR, IDM etc. new to diesel world. Thanks

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Top your oil off.
Make sure the batteries are fully charged.
Check you glow plug relay to make sure it is energizing the glow plugs.

gsddag

Reaction score
I plan to do that asap. been working 7 12's for 6 wks. don't have a lot of time. I had read other threads that mentioned oil & batteries, thanks. Hope it's not something else.

Bugman

Reaction score
I agree that you need to top off the oil and charge the batteries, these trucks use the oil to fire the injectors and if it is too low the engine won't run. But with white smoke out of the tail pipe you should be getting fuel to the injectors so I would check the glow plug relay.

To check it you will need a digital volt ohm meter. Set it on volts and test the two large post on the relay with the key on. You should see less than 0.3 volts difference between the two post, any more and the relay is bad. If you don't have a meter just short the two large lugs together with a pair of pliers for about 30 seconds and then try to start the truck. Just be aware that there are going to be sparks when you do this.

If you are going to do just about any work on these trucks you will need a digital volt ohm meter and they are fairly inexpensive for one that will do a lot of test.

pullandpray

Reaction score
If your getting smoke the injectors are firing so your building high pressure oil. My bet is the fuel system is air locked break open one of the fittings post filter and crank the truck. These trucks have mechanical fuel pumps so the engine needs to turn over for fuel to flow. Once you get a good stream out of the fitting tighten it up. 8m betting it will start right up. And I imagine you have a cracked pickup tube in that tank. Don't run it that low Or replace it

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Yep on the fuel pickup. They are notorious for cracking. I had one that cracked and one that fell off completely.

gsddag

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, will try them asap need the trk to drive to work mom is getting cabin feaver without her ride.

gsddag

Reaction score
Do you have to drop the fuel tank to check and or replace the pickup tube?

gsddag

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, charged batteries tryed to find fuel fitting post filter, found fitting at inside front of head on pas. side below gloplug relay, loosened it, a little fuel came out, cranked on it some no more fuel came out. So I decided I would have to take it to a diesel machanic. Tightened fitting changed fuel filter filled filter bowl w/fuel cranked on it again, my daughter said dad there is some white smoke coming from under the hood, I took a look while she cranked, it fired right up she said (just have to have the right touch dad) guess we cranked on it until it got fuel to it, or I was just blessed. Will check the pickup tube in the rear tank when I can make time. Great to have my wheels back, and mom's happy to have her's.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.