1st Impression: S362SXE & 175/30's

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Pipes showed up this morning from Irate. Last piece to the puzzle.
Turbo came from Rykan @ Holders (GREAT guys to deal with!).
Rykan also built my injectors to the 175/30's, and he added the new solenoids.

Turbo is the new SXE series, 62/68/.91, divided T4

Installed the sticks yesterday while waiting for the T4 kit.

The Irate kit Pros:

-super clean construction
-impeccable welds
-super beefy flanges
-complete with all hardware needed; pipes, stand, oil feed & drain, bolts
-great fitment of pipes and stand
-turbo install/removal 10x easier than a VGT

Cons:

-driver side pipe didnt clear my RR fittings, easily 'massaged' with a torch and hammer. I didnt expect it to clear.
-bolts in kit for the turbo drain adapter were wrong size. Needed to be M8 bolts, they sent 3/8" SAE coarse threads. I had the right ones in my shop.
-oil drain back tube alignment was not easily lined up. High quality stainless tube with JIC fittings on each end. Took 4 tries to the tube lined up correctly. Also had to cut a 1" wrench in half to be able to tighten the JIC fittings while the turbo was in place.
-not really necessary, but no instructions or "parts in box" list
-hardware quality questionable; not sure what grade all the bolts are. Made sure to use Loctite extreme temp where needed, or copper anti seize.

Turbo took a couple tries to get the clocking of center section and front/back halves correct. Overall not that terrible.
Best part is the turbo fits so nicely over the VGT turbo; taking it in and out was a breeze.

Compressor housing bolts can be tightened easily while the turbo is bolted in place. Made lining up the hot side pipe a no brainer. Allowed me to adjust the pipe to clear the DC Power alternator better than the MTW turbo.

Let the truck come up to temp before taking for a ride. Allowed it to build full EOT before romping around.
Turbo spools just as fast if not faster than the MTW Stage 2 with stock injectors.
Only drove around for 30 minutes or so, not much aggressive driving besides the normal routine to 'burp' the HPO system.
Ill get more time this weekend and will report back.
Post some pics I took also.

To keep the comparison fair between the MTW ST2 and this combo, I am running TSD tunes again. Chris' tunes have been my favorite out of the 4 or 5 tuners I have used in the past.

PS- SO glad to be gone with the whistle!

04cr450

Reaction score
Glad your happy man. I've stated time and tune again the sxe's spool just as fast as the vgts depending on the combos. I'm glad I went non vgt also. Vgt has its place for sure.. but the whistle is so played out now , it's preference of course at the end of the day.
I had the same issues to with the t4 kits.. these are areas of the kit that should be perfected very easily by the manufacturer.

Merc82

Reaction score
Cory, what kind of fittings do you have for your regulated return on the back of your heads? I got 90s and they clear the pipes currently. The y pipe modification is not a big deal, just curious is all if I ever swap.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
I have Earls (I think?) 90* swivels, with straight AN Fragola fittings.
I only had to push in that 1.5" square section of pipe about 1/8"-3/16".

Im sure it hindered the flow a little, but this things pulls so hard now, I have already forgotten about it....

Not too mention, the sounds this thing makes are down right nasty.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Videos or it didn't happen haha

Ill snag some videos this week for sure. Was super busy yesterday and it rained all day today. Hard to keep the tires stuck in dry weather, never mind the wet now.

Some more notes-

-stock/CTS2 boost gauge is maxed out, need another gauge

-pretty sure the stock EBP is maxed out also- any recommendations on this one? I cant imagine its a good idea to plumb exhaust into the cab through a small copper tube....

-this is proving to be a pretty quick spooling combo. With the 4.30 gears, TSD SPD tuning, the small-ish turbo, and the injector sizing, this thing flys through the gears with a 20-30mph roll into WOT. Not too mention the 50-90mph accel is very impressive.

Beyond happy to make the move to nonVGT.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Are you or are you not using FICM tuning? That made a huge difference in spool up for me, but I'm on stock sticks. Not sure how noticeable it'd be on the bigger injectors. Your sig says you have IDP's FICM tune, but not sure if that's right since you have larger injectors now.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Are you or are you not using FICM tuning? That made a huge difference in spool up for me, but I'm on stock sticks. Not sure how noticeable it'd be on the bigger injectors. Your sig says you have IDP's FICM tune, but not sure if that's right since you have larger injectors now.

I have the IDP FICM tuning, but to be honest; its crap. I didnt notice any power increase. It made the throttle response a slight bit touchier, thats it.
Its a small Superchips Flashpaq, that just reflashes the FICM. No settings, no selectable power levels. I bought it when FICM tuning was still a new thing. Jumped on the wrong wagon.

05wh250

Reaction score
If you can swing it, go with power hungry performance ficm tunes. They have tunes for bigger nozzles also. Ran them with stock sticks, 190's and swapped back to the regular tunes for the 170's I have now. Like he said huge difference.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Jus finished my stud/ irate t4/ s362fmw/regulated return project... I novat ive tunes... Pulls like a freight train for still being stock sticks.

But part throttle cruising its definately less snappy. Going to be looking into ficm tuning asap

04stroker

Reaction score
Good to hear everything worked out well. Was worried you might need something while I was out of town last week but sounds like everything went pretty smooth for the most part.

jag6510

Reaction score
Looking to go this route now too. Already have some t4 up pipes just looking for a sxe 362. Seems to be a great turbo for these trucks

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Been super busy at work lately.
Ive been meaning to get some videos.
It cleans up really well.
It will dump a cloud if you flash the converter from a roll.
If just roll into the throttle it gives a quick puff, then cleans up to nearly nothing once the turbo lights.

I am very impressed with how fast this combo spools.
With the 4.30 gears and my old S2 VGT, I could chirp the tires from a 10mph roll if I timed the shifts right.
Now this thing just blows the tires right off from 5-20mph hard roll into 3/4 throttle.
If I stand on it around 10mph, it just destroys the tires and gets to the rev limiter really fast.

If I let the converter get under the turbo on the highway, and go to pass, it will burp a small cloud. But nothing excessive, and cleans up in 1-2 seconds.
It barely hazes with merging speeds at half throttle.

Gotta move some big boats in the marina to the ramp in the next two weeks, interested to see how it performs.
As of now, my EGT is down about 80-100* across the board from the Stage 2/stock sticks.
That combo would easily go over 1200* on the highway with the converter locked.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Also, just ordered a No Limit intake.
The S&B sucked in the filter minder a couple times in the last couple weeks.
My brother in law offered me $100 for the S&B so I had to ditch it.
Plan to upgrade the intercooler soon also, and rework the IC piping at the same time.
Having a slight clearance issue with the DC Power alternator and hot side pipe.

Have a feeling with the intake, intercooler, and pipes my EGT is going to drop way down and help even more with spooling this little monster.

Merc82

Reaction score
Man, Cory. Reading through this again makes me want go Non- VGT with a S364 SXE. Whistle is getting old and the neighbors really aren't digging me leaving so early, LOL.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Well Chris, I need another technician here at my shop.
You should move to CT, and Ill let you take my truck for a spin, and you can have a new job!
Get you away from those Vrods and get you working on some real motors lol.
Not too mention I have tons of shop space for two trucks.....

Ill try my best to get some vids up this weekend.

junior125

Reaction score
I'm sure my neighbors hate me too Chris, I'll let you know how I like it after next weekend hopefully

Latest posts

Members online