2 piece front pinion seal?

taterthedog

Reaction score
Went to dealer today and picked up a new front pinion seal for my 08 F250. Once I got over the fact that it came to $44.00 I noticed there were 2 pieces to it. This is new to me, where does the small seal go?

duddy

Reaction score
is it a normal seal that installs in the housing, with a rubber seal that goes on the yoke as a dust shield? I am guessing here, a pic would help out a bit.

taterthedog

Reaction score
pu6aryha.jpg

uzagu4yt.jpg

duddy

Reaction score
Yup that is it.

Put the larger one in like a standard seal for the pinion, then place the smaller rubber like one on the yoke, the smooth part that slides into the pinion seal. the lil rubber piece is designed to keep contaminants off of the seal lip. so do not push it all the way on the yoke. Just far enough that the pinion seal pushes the rubber piece to the correct place when you re-install the yoke.

The rubber piece is the one you are holding in your hand in the pic.
the thicker part goes away from the pinion seal with the flap designed to rub on the seal to be able to keep the the seal lip clean.

Last edited:

taterthedog

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks. You wouldn't know what size nut is on the pinion would you? Probably need a socket from my tool box at work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.