2004 6.0 No Start

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I went over to my dad's last night to try and figure out why is 04 wasn't starting. It cranks and cranks, but won't start. Hooked up my Autoenginuity and here's what we did so far:

ICP while cranking = 950-1000 psi
IPR duty cycle = 37%
FICM Main power = 41 volts

Fuel pump is good. We have fuel to the fuel bowl. I unplugged the icp sensor and still no change.

Could it be something with the FICM? Does the FICM voltage read lower when reading through the obd ii port?

What else should I be looking for?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Batteries are good.

Truck has around 210,000 on it and the ficm has been rebuilt twice now.

I'll have to see if I can find a known good ficm to swap out and see if it fires.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Cam and crank signal, is the truck reading rpm? I agree that the ficm is an issue as well.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Yes, I pulled up RPMs on the data meter and it was reading around 350 while cranking.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you have sync and ficm sync? Do you have a cmp fault pid? What is that reading?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I believe I saw those options on the data graphs. I'll have to go back and check.

What should sync and ficm sync read?

I want to say that I pulled up the cmp pid and it read "1" after I cranked the engine for several seconds.

golfer

Reaction score
as mentioned, check FICM sync

and double check you're reading ICP_ACTUAL and not ICP_desired

ICP_actual is what is actually getting to the injectors (ICP_desired is just what the ECM is requesting)...but you're probably ok since you're IPR is only in the 30% range.

and while the FICM voltage is a bit low, that's not low enough for a no start (assuming checking WHILE CRANKING)...no start usually occurs sub 30v.

run buzz test (listen for audible clicks/spool valve cycling)< this checks the logic side of the FICM in some sense..also checks physical wiring from FICM to injs.

but if you have ICP_actual (min 500+/-psi), FICM sync, and the injs buzz...then you might check fuel quality, fuel pressure...or the injectors may be so worn that they're simply not injecting fuel..not completely out of the question with 200k miles..but also unlikely that it would happen all at once, without previous symptoms (or fuel contamination/no fuel pressure, etc)

PABowhunter

Reaction score
No significant codes. I was watching the actual and the desired ICP at the same time to see how they compared. The injectors are remans from Warren with less than 10k on them.

It turned out that my dad couldn't wait it had it towed to the local shop that did his headstuds several years ago. He checked it before the tow truck picked it up and it still wouldn't start. Once they got it down to the shop they tried to start it and it fired right up. They ran it around for two hours turning it on and off and it never skipped a beat.

He's leaving for Montana on Wednesday, so he still doesn't trust it. Might try a new ficm still.

webb06

Reaction score
No significant codes. I was watching the actual and the desired ICP at the same time to see how they compared. The injectors are remans from Warren with less than 10k on them.

It turned out that my dad couldn't wait it had it towed to the local shop that did his headstuds several years ago. He checked it before the tow truck picked it up and it still wouldn't start. Once they got it down to the shop they tried to start it and it fired right up. They ran it around for two hours turning it on and off and it never skipped a beat.

He's leaving for Montana on Wednesday, so he still doesn't trust it. Might try a new ficm still.

Always convenient when that happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Bringing this back up. Trying to post a solution for anyone that follows this thread.

So, my dad had the local shop quick throw a FICM in as he was leaving for a hunting trip in a couple days and it seemed like the problem was FICM related. The good news was he made it all the way out to Montana and back. The bad news was when he got back the truck wouldn't start again. After some more troubleshooting he finally got it to start after he adjusted the wiring harness. When he got it back down to the shop they said they pulled a code for the cam sensor. They just swapped a new one in, so I guess we'll see if that does the trick.

When I was troubleshooting it with AE the other week I was reading about 500 rpm's when cranking. Still not convinced its the cam sensor, but I guess we'll see.

webb06

Reaction score
I would think more wiring related since after adjusting the wiring he got it to start.

We see a lot of trouble with the wiring that runs down the front of the engine to the cam sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Bringing this back up. Trying to post a solution for anyone that follows this thread.

So, my dad had the local shop quick throw a FICM in as he was leaving for a hunting trip in a couple days and it seemed like the problem was FICM related. The good news was he made it all the way out to Montana and back. The bad news was when he got back the truck wouldn't start again. After some more troubleshooting he finally got it to start after he adjusted the wiring harness. When he got it back down to the shop they said they pulled a code for the cam sensor. They just swapped a new one in, so I guess we'll see if that does the trick.

When I was troubleshooting it with AE the other week I was reading about 500 rpm's when cranking. Still not convinced its the cam sensor, but I guess we'll see.

It could definitely be the cam sensor, or a poor connection to it, as wiggling the wires fixed it. Have been many problems with the wiring down the front of the motor, as webb said.

This is not a 7.3, just fyi, rpm is read off the crank sensor, cam sensor is for #1 position only.

Latest posts

Members online