2005 Axle Swap

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
its really not. the hardest part is the track bar mount. call Cary at CT Performance Inc. and he will hook you up. he is a vendor on here. he invented the swap and knows all the ins and outs.

i didnt have to go as far as i di on the rear but i needed new spring pearches and hangers so instead of buyin OBS ones i just used the SD ones an modified the frame. and i wanted to paint everything

The 05 trac bar mount
works real well.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
GOT MY COIL BUCKETS INSTLLED AND TOURQUED DOWN. ON THE HOLES THAT I COULDNT GET A BOLT THROUGH I TAPPED THREADS INTO THE FRAME. AND AS ALWAYS I STICH WELDED THE BUCKETS INPLACE. ALSO THREW IN 5 SPOT WELDS. DILLED A 3/8 HOLE IN THE BUCKET, WELDED IT TO THE FRAME AND THEN WELDED THE HOLES UP. THAT THING ISNT GOING ANYWHERE. ALSO MOVED THE BRAKE LINE BRACKETS DOWN 2" TO GIVE THEM A LITTLE MORE PLAY WITH THE SMALL LIFT, DIDNT HAVE TO, JUST FIGURED I WOULD

42d1312163907-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0604.jpg

43d1312164076-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0605.jpg

GOT THE COILS IN, AND I HAVE IT SITTING AT THE HIGHT THE 2.5" LIFT WILL GIVE IT. SHOULD B PLENTY OF CLEARANCE FOR THE 35"S
44d1312164325-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0606.jpg

45d1312164528-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0607.jpg

ALSO THREW SOME WELDS IN THE RADIUS ARMS, IM STARTIN TO LEARN PRETTY GOOD HOW TO WELD THIS THICKER METAL WITH THE MIG, I HAVE ONLY EVER USED IT FOR SPOT WELDS AFTER SPOT WELDS AND SMALLER METAL

46d1312164648-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0609.jpg

GOT THE TOP OF THE FRAME RAILS PAINTED AND THEN I HAD TO USE UP SOME (I WAY OVER ESTIMATED WHAT I NEEDED) SO I PAINTED THE RADIUS ARMS AND THE DRIVE SHAFT AND PART OF THE REAR. IM GONNA PUT THE BED BACK ON AND SPRAY THE REST ON A LIFT.

48d1312164988-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0611.jpg

49d1312165137-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0613.jpg

SHOULD OF USED A PAIR OF GLOVES AND A TYVEK SUIT OR SOMETHING. I GOT THIS STUFF ALL OVER MY WHILE I WAS PINTING UPSIDE DOWN DOIN THE DOIN THE RADIUS ARMS AND THE DRIVE SHAFT. ALL OVER THE BACK OF MY ARMS AND EVEN ON MY FACE.. HAHA. THE PICTURE DOESNT DO IT JUSTICE. AND IT DOESNT COME OFF, IT HAS TO WEAR OFF. IT IS CHASSIS SAVER MADE BY MAGNETIC PAINTS. KINDA LIKE POR15 BUT SOPOSED TO BE BETTER BECAUSE YOU CAN PAINT OVER EXISTING PAINT

51d1312165407-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0615.jpg

kramarj

Reaction score
How did you paint the frame, with a brush? I am going to paint my frame soon, just wondering what the best way is.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
i havent finished yet... i only painted the top of the frame so that when i put the bed back on i didnt have to try to get to the top. i did use a brush but im gonna spray the rest. almost bought the paint to do it today but i backed out. SOON! i will post picks when its done

Strokersace

Reaction score
LOL I did the same thing when I painted mine this last summer. Used the Chassis Saver as well. Great stuff and is holding up really well with the winter crap on the roads. I painted everything on mine except the top of the frame rails (cab and bed were still on). Used a brush to do all of it. Did it in late June, early July so it was hot as hell out. No gloves and a t-shirt is a BAD idea when using this stuff! I was covered from my ears to my waist. Had to let it wear off. Dang it sucked!!!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
im gonna thin it out and spray everything under there... and take the bumper off again and try to get to the core support really good. try to get 3 coats on everything but cash wil tell me that...

have you used POR 15 before??? kina curious how this stuff holds up in comparision

Strokersace

Reaction score
Never have. Was going to go with por-15 but it was ungodly expensive locally and all they had was silver. Got the black CS delivered to me for quite a bit less. Have been very happy thus far.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
are you saying the stock mout works??? because i would like to see pics if someone has made it work. it tried!! maby if the steering box is replaced?? not sure

Here are some pics of my build back in January of 08. I did a complete 05 steering/suspension swap, a 98% bolt on job

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_004.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_005.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_006.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_007.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_009.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_015.jpg

Bronco_suspension_007.jpg

Bronco_suspension_006.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
im gonna thin it out and spray everything under there... and take the bumper off again and try to get to the core support really good. try to get 3 coats on everything but cash wil tell me that...

have you used POR 15 before??? kina curious how this stuff holds up in comparision

Ive used it on two of my trucks and it holds up great, just gotta top coat it

On my 6.4:
DSC00071.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

and my 6.0
bb366f4b.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

kramarj

Reaction score
Whats the best way to prep the frame for this? I am really wanting to do this. I know they sell the whole kit to prep and everything, but maybe some instuctions/tips would be helpful.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Whats the best way to prep the frame for this? I am really wanting to do this. I know they sell the whole kit to prep and everything, but maybe some instuctions/tips would be helpful.

Both the frames I have done have been fairly clean already, but if there is loose rust and stuff then get that off with a scraper first, then if you want the frame smooth if yours isnt youll have to do some sanding or work with a wire wheel. then I bought their marine clean which you spray on thick and hose off and it does a hell of a job getting everything off. Then I use their rust converter and let it sit for 15 and then hose off. Then brush on the POR-15 and once it is tacky not dry all the way top coat it with what ever you want

kramarj

Reaction score
Both the frames I have done have been fairly clean already, but if there is loose rust and stuff then get that off with a scraper first, then if you want the frame smooth if yours isnt youll have to do some sanding or work with a wire wheel. then I bought their marine clean which you spray on thick and hose off and it does a hell of a job getting everything off. Then I use their rust converter and let it sit for 15 and then hose off. Then brush on the POR-15 and once it is tacky not dry all the way top coat it with what ever you want

Thats helpful, thanks.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
has anyone ever sprayed the truck, the entire underneith... would like to kow how it turns out, brushing it seems like it would take wayy tooo much time

Latest posts

Members online