2005 F350 6.0 Long Crank

Sledge

Reaction score
I'm having a long crank issue with a 2005 F350 6.0L King Ranch dually. Owner complaint was for a long crank when cold. He says if he keeps it plugged in he doesn't have the issue. But even in the 70* shop it just cranked for 5-10 seconds before starting. EGR is blocked BTW. My initial thought was gp related but I see no related codes.

Had a Snap-On Solus hooked up to it to pull codes and came up with the following:

Memory KOEO:
P0261
P0264
P0267
P0269
P0270
P0273
P0276
P2614
P2617

KOER:
P0487
P0611
P1408

Did some researching on the P0611 code and it took us to the FICM. I checked the voltage at the pin closest to the fender and came up with 47.7VDC KOEO. Which is good. Now should the voltage at the pin be checked while cranking/running as well? I assume the voltage should not drop too far from 48. I think I should be able to read voltage to the FICM through the Solus.

Also searching the long crank issue came across the STC fitting? Would that give any codes as far as HPO is related? Any help is greatly appreciated.

TheRobenator

Reaction score
Voltage should never drop below 46V when key is on, when cranking and when running. Also does it have the long cranking when cold and hot? or just when hot?

Mdub707

Reaction score
You need to check it cold ideally, and check it key on, engine off, then check it cranking, and then lastly running. Ford's spec is 45V, anything below needs replacement or fixing. I would suggest fixing it if you can, or find someone else who can, much cheaper that way. Usually OBD readers can only read as LOW as 40V, so if the FICM is running at 25V, your SOLUS will still read 40V. Even at 40V I wouldn't really expect major running issues, but it should be fixed. As bad as you're saying it is, it probably needs replacement. My guess is you have more than one issue going on right now, but that is the first place to check.

I would also HIGHLY recommend you have the batteries individually load tested before further testing the FICM. Once batteries check out, then test the FICM on a cold engine.

The glow plug systems in these trucks are pretty stout. Though could be a place to check, but take care of this other stuff first.

Then report back here.

Sledge

Reaction score
Ok, I appreciate the help guys. Ran some more tests today.

Load tested both batteries and they tested good.

Checked voltage at FICM pin and it read 47.7 with KOEO.
Buttoned everything back up, hooked up the Solus to see what kind of voltage we had and it showed 48 KOEO so I determined the Solus was accurate. I then started the truck (about 60-65* outside) and it cranked long and gave a puff of black smoke and ran really rough for the first 15 seconds or so.

Now with KOER FICM voltage was at 26.5. Then the voltage gradually climbed as the engine temp climbed. Let the truck run til it came up to temp. Idling (ECT @ ~183*) voltage showed 48. Then when accelerating slightly it would occasionally drop to around 41-44V.

I'm leaning towards the FICM being the issue. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.