2008 F350 6.4 shut down and extreme fuel smoke

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
I have 2008 F350 6.4...it is completely stock with 130,000 miles on it. Most miles are interstate driving but recently I've been using to tow short distances to my farm. Yesterday while pulling my trailer with a light load on it, after climbing a moderate hill approximately 1 mile long, it started to miss a little bit, and developed what sounded like an exhaust leak. The loss of power was negligible at first but within the next mile became significant. The exhaust leak got louder and the message to "stop now safely" appeared and the truck shut off. I trued to restart, but the ignition system was completely unresponsive... no starter solenoid noise or anything. I called my buddy to rescue me. He plugged his programme in and ereased 2 codes...he said they were exhaust system related. Still wouldn't start. Hooked a chain to thetruck and started pulling it home....along the way I tried starting it again, and it started. Now it will start and run, but is very rough and pukes fuel smoke terribly. I'm thinking injector problem.....and maybe *** problem. Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this...or where to start looking. I'm going to do repairs myself

6.4f350

Reaction score
Start pulling stuff apart, sounds like best case you have a hung injector. Have all the injectors tested and have the fuel pump checked out. Do a compression test while it's accessible.

sootie

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a hung injector. That miss that got greater could have been a rod bending due to the excessive amounts of fuel being pumped into the cylinder.

wackyman9

Reaction score
Short distances on a stock 6.4 with load... sounds like the dee pee f is clogged, the over full oil level is probably diesel fuel mixed in with the oil from trying to regenerate. Diesel fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke of cylinders 7 & 8 during regen and is supposed to go into the filter to "burn it clean". Everytime the truck is in regen, some of that fuel passes through the piston rings into the oil system. That's when your truck "makes oil". Drop and clean the dee pee f and clean all the exhaust sensors if you want to keep it. Also change your oil and keep changing it every 3500 miles to play it safe.

Personally, I recommend getting rid of the filter and turning off the regen at minimum. It will add miles to the trucks life span...

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
OK thanks, that's what I was thinking, I'm gonna try to start looking at it this weekend. I'll keep you posted

sootie

Reaction score
Agreed on losing the stock exhaust and getting a tune.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I got the "stop safely now" msg one time and swore I would never let it get me again.... especially since it was at a red light in rush hour and a Dodge had to tow me out of the intersection...

When that msg shows up it takes either 45 or 60 minutes before it will let you try to start it again. So that the exhaust sensor readings can go through a cool down or reset period.. it doesn't matter how many times you clear the codes or disconnect the batteries, there's something somewhere that starts a countdown and won't let you try until it's done..

sootie

Reaction score
I got the "stop safely now" msg one time and swore I would never let it get me again.... especially since it was at a red light in rush hour and a Dodge had to tow me out of the intersection...

When that msg shows up it takes either 45 or 60 minutes before it will let you try to start it again. So that the exhaust sensor readings can go through a cool down or reset period.. it doesn't matter how many times you clear the codes or disconnect the batteries, there's something somewhere that starts a countdown and won't let you try until it's done..

unless you use the jumper wire by the starter.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I forgot all about that! I haven't done that in years..... good call! Now I wonder.....

wackyman9

Reaction score
I wanted to stay in the "stock" vicinity of power, so I just used a dee pee f- r from gearboxz, but if your trying to make power or looking for programmable power, I recommend spar-tan tuners. I used a deeleet pipe from flo-pro and it goes between the down pipe and the muffler..

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
I don't want to get too crazy. I use this truck to drive to work everyday and occasionally use it to haul hay and equipment back and forth from my farm. I had a 2007 F250 with the 6.0 and I got rid of the factory exhaust and used the Diablo Predator programmer. It had 3 settings and I always ran it on the highest setting ( 100hp)....I was happy with that....until one day the back end passed the front end on a wet road and I ended up on my roof....totalled.

sootie

Reaction score
Any recommendations on an aftermarket exhaust and tuner?

H&S is about the best going for tuning six fours. Exhausts dont differ much company to company. I find the best bang for busk and good fitment is FloPro

I wanted to stay in the "stock" vicinity of power, so I just used a dee pee f- r from gearboxz, but if your trying to make power or looking for programmable power, I recommend spar-tan tuners. I used a deeleet pipe from flo-pro and it goes between the down pipe and the muffler..

horrible advice about gearboxZ. stay as far away from that chit as possible.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with them at all, I called before hand to make sure techs were in the office while I was doing it and they were polite. I can only speak of my experience of course, but it's been a good one so far.. The price is another thing that made this a good option for me... I was able to deeleet and tune for 500 bills... what was your experience like?

On a side note, I had a poopy experience with SCT and wouldn't recommend them to anyone based again, on my experience. I spent hours upon hours on hold day after day only to be treated with poor attitudes and even get hung up on after hours on hold because it was the end of the day.. all I'm saying is that everyone's experience is unique and my experience worked out for me..

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
When it starts pull the oil cap and check blowby besides what everyone else said. 6 4 pistons are a major weak link.

sootie

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with them at all, I called before hand to make sure techs were in the office while I was doing it and they were polite. I can only speak of my experience of course, but it's been a good one so far.. The price is another thing that made this a good option for me... I was able to deeleet and tune for 500 bills... what was your experience like?

On a side note, I had a poopy experience with SCT and wouldn't recommend them to anyone based again, on my experience. I spent hours upon hours on hold day after day only to be treated with poor attitudes and even get hung up on after hours on hold because it was the end of the day.. all I'm saying is that everyone's experience is unique and my experience worked out for me..

They are crappy and problematic. Its not even tuning, its sensor deceit.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I agree, there really is no "tuning" involved. It's more along the lines of disabling certain systems and components. Again, in my personal experience I have no complaints. Why such a bad taste about this product other than reading other's opinions? As far as h&s goes, I agree they were at one time untouchable and the hands down best of the best, but recently they have been pretty much invisible. Their web site nearly non existent. Which is why I recommend spar-tan as well.. I also agree with sootie on pipes, pretty universal. Aluminized or stainless is the question..

Latest posts

Members online