2008 F350 6.4 shut down and extreme fuel smoke

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
I took the oil fill cap off tonight when I got home from work. The blow by seems significant. Bathe cap is plastic, and if I unscrew it but leave it in the hole, there is enough blow by that it wobbles around. Seems like this would indicate some internal damage to the engine
..probably piston or rings. Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

webb06

Reaction score
I took the oil fill cap off tonight when I got home from work. The blow by seems significant. Bathe cap is plastic, and if I unscrew it but leave it in the hole, there is enough blow by that it wobbles around. Seems like this would indicate some internal damage to the engine
..probably piston or rings. Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

Sounds like you'll be wasting time buying a tuner and exhaust. You have deeper problems. You need to have someone with a decent scanner pull codes or check power balance/relative compression.

sootie

Reaction score
I agree, there really is no "tuning" involved. It's more along the lines of disabling certain systems and components. Again, in my personal experience I have no complaints. Why such a bad taste about this product other than reading other's opinions? As far as h&s goes, I agree they were at one time untouchable and the hands down best of the best, but recently they have been pretty much invisible. Their web site nearly non existent. Which is why I recommend spar-tan as well.. I also agree with sootie on pipes, pretty universal. Aluminized or stainless is the question..

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I guess because the product is chit so I don't like it. Who cares about the H&S website...does it make their devices worse? ...sounds like you need to stay on the .morg

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
If the cap just moves around a bit, that's normal. Now, if it gets completely blown off, you have problems.

D-leet as soon as possible. Get a contribution/balance test done, not necessarily in that order. Good luck, hope the motor is ok.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I guess because the product is chit so I don't like it. Who cares about the H&S website...does it make their devices worse? ...sounds like you need to stay on the .morg
Lol your taking this personal, and I don't mean for you to, but usually when you call something or a business chit, there is a reason and you don't appear to have one. h&s tuners ARE good, but there is basically no more h&s tuner support due to the feds.. the device is a good device, but will soon be a device of the past due to the crackdown on their particular company.

FWIW I'm not here to argue, but if the dude asks what his options are, I'll tell him and I'll give my opinion if warranted. I think everyone should, that's what the benefits of these forums are, multiple inputs and opinions from different people with different experiences. I just asked what made you come to the conclusion of this particular product, that's all...

Last edited:

wackyman9

Reaction score
If the cap just moves around a bit, that's normal. Now, if it gets completely blown off, you have problems.

D-leet as soon as possible. Get a contribution/balance test done, not necessarily in that order. Good luck, hope the motor is ok.
Agreed^

sootie

Reaction score
Lol your taking this personal, and I don't mean for you to, but usually when you call something or a business chit, there is a reason and you don't appear to have one. h&s tuners ARE good, but there is basically no more h&s tuner support due to the feds.. the device is a good device, but will soon be a device of the past due to the crackdown on their particular company.

FWIW I'm not here to argue, but if the dude asks what his options are, I'll tell him and I'll give my opinion if warranted. I think everyone should, that's what the benefits of these forums are, multiple inputs and opinions from different people with different experiences. I just asked what made you come to the conclusion of this particular product, that's all...

the more you post, the more everyone realizes how little you know about the industry...

wackyman9

Reaction score
the more you post, the more everyone realizes how little you know about the industry...
I'm not an industry analyst, just a driveway guy who reads factual information to form conclusions on products based on experiences and resesrch of my own...

cbking

Reaction score
Call the guys at no limit fabrication. Mike (bigpwr on here) hooked me up with a 4" exhaust an sct x4 and gear head tunes for a pretty sweet deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their help. I gotta work this weekend but I'm gonna go ahead and order the H&S Mini Max tuner, the 5" flow pro exhaust, and the S&B cold air intake.....figure I will start with that and see if I have to go deeper. I'll keep you posted with progress

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
Well, I finally have some progress on my truck. Work has been crazy so I took it to a garage. I replaced the injector in cylinder #4 and did the EGR, CAT, and *** deeleette. I got the mini max tuner and had them install download. When they put it back together and started it, they said it sounded pretty good, so they took it for a test drive. It started smoking enough to stop traffic so they drove back to shop. Turbo is locked up now. When I went up to look at it, I noticed they forgot to pit coolant in for the turbo. My question is .....does anybody know how long it would take to damage the turbo by running it without coolant. I feel this is on the garage....garage owner says they forgot to add the coolant but they didn't run it long enough to hurt it

powerstroked08

Reaction score
You don't need coolant to keep the turbo cool. Its to keep the vgt actuator cool, not the turbo. Now is the turbo locked up or is it the vgt actuator? If its the actuator that's no big deal. They get gummed up sometimes. And they are easy to take apart and clean up.

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
there is also engine oil dripping out the tail pipe....and the boost is 0 psi....I just assumed this is a turbo problem

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Could've wasted the turbo. What one is locked up? And does it have any marks or anything on the wheel, like it contacted the housing? I mean these turbos are pretty reliable. But they do break now and then.

ddburnsworth

Reaction score
I don't know yet. They are supposed to take the turbo off this week. I work out of town, so u won't get a chance to look at it until next weekend. What should I look for? If one of turbos are locked up, should I replace both or just one?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Just check both charger. Check shaft play on both. In and out and then side to side. I would only replace the one that's broke. But that's me I try and save money where I can as long as it's not broke or needs replaced.

nbdyspclk

Reaction score
*** is full or clogged,just replaced mine for same exact problem, $2400.00,solved my problem 08 350 6.4 unless you run ******

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
*** is full or clogged,just replaced mine for same exact problem, $2400.00,solved my problem 08 350 6.4 unless you run ******

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

He doesn't have a deepeeeff

Latest posts

Members online