2008 F350 P0232, new to diesels.

Boyce604

Reaction score
Hi, my mom bough a 2008 F350 King Ranch back in May. Truck came with a carfax. And was well maintain. Always went to dealer for oil changes and everything. Has 160k miles, pulls a 30ft 3 horse trailer with living quarters. The snow is first time truck has been daily drivin since she bought.

Well other day it was down to 2° with -25° windchill. Truck was plugged in. She went and started truck up, let it warm up and drove to my brothers, Ran great. She was there for bout 4-5 hrs but never plugged it in. Came out and started it. It ran for about 10 mins then just died. Took bout 3-4 cranks and got it fired back up. But wrench light came on. She drove home but said it ran fine.

I had her meet me today so I could look at it. She was driving to town and said light went out. She stopped at store and shut truck off. Came back out and truck started, ran for 5 sec and died. Same thing, couple cranks and it started but light back on.

I meet up with her and scan code and get p0232. Drive truck and feels down on power. So I stop and clear code. Trucks runs like a scoulded dog then. I'm thinking the diesel gelled so I went to Oriellys and got Diesel Treat and then go get Diesel and pour it in.

Go to start truck and does same. Starts then dies and wrench light comes back on. Same code, P0232. Trucks down on power. So shut it off and clear code but now won't let me clear it. Get truck started and clear it again and then stays off. It dosnt pop up till you shut truck off and start it again. Truck runs perfect when lights out.

What are things I can check. I checked inertia switch and it was already in.

This problem didn't start till it was cold. I'm hopin it's bad gelled diesel. But probably not.

I've only owned 5.4 Tritons and 5.4 intechs. Then a few imports. I know my way around a gas motor but not a diesel. Don't wanna go to shop if don't have to but don't wanna throw parts at it either.

Thanks, sorry for first long post. Ryan

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
check the fuel pump relay make sure its plugged in all the way, the code is basically for open circuit for the supply lift pump thats on the frame rail. Also make sure the plugs and connectors on the pump are ok

webb06

Reaction score
That's a code for secondary fuel pump circuit high. Does the fuel pump on the frame rail run when you turn the key on? You're going to need to so a little trouble shooting with this problem.

Boyce604

Reaction score
Ok, I'm picking truck up from her tomorrow. So I can look more. Will have it all weekend. Where is rely at I can check and what side is pump at. So if it needs replaced it's pretty simple being on rail? No cab off or anything? Just trying to get info before I pick it up.

Thank you guys. She's freaking out. This and her horse trailer are first big purchase she really ever made.

Boyce604

Reaction score
Ok cool. Kind of relieving. But side note that dosnt make since. Why can I clear code and it run perfect. I have the torque app on my phone and was trying to log. As it was running good it showed 25k on fuel at WOT, 24psi of boost, and oil and trans temp matched perfect all the way warming up and never went past 180°.

I didn't catch a log when the light came on.

I've noticed after she bought it. I put a B&W goose neck ball in, while under it. It looked like someone had a remote tank in it. Also looks like they had a 5th wheel hitch in it too.

But had the fuel hose split where they "T" into it and old wires still ran to switches on dash. Guessing for remote pump for tank in bed at one time. But now the line is just spliced back together and never givin a problem at all.

But where is pump at on rail so I know where to look and what relay and connectors need checked too.
How much is a secondary pump cost if that's the problem?

Thank You guys a lot.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
They are pricey, sunrise ford on here is a sponsor and they sell parts cheaper than most dealers and fast shipping.

I misread the code at first, its for open circuit so basically you just need to make sure it has power at the pump and that the pump itself ohms the correct resistance (not sure what it is but it should be low)

Boyce604

Reaction score
So can it still be pump or is it something else. I'll be pickin up truck tonight. And do I just unplug it and check ohms at the pump?

Boyce604

Reaction score
My mom text me and said she started truck this morning to drive it to my house. ( I was at work). Said light never came on and drove great to house. I get home and start truck and same. Light isnt on and truck drives great. Get it home. Shut it off and restart it. Then does same, runs for few sec. Then dies, wrench light comes back on. It's to dark right now to look at it. Bit same code popped up. I called a diesel shop and he says he thinks it's the secondary pump is out. But couldn't explain why it ran great after code is cleared. I cleared code and goin to let it sit tonight and start in morning. See if it dosnt shut off after it's cooled down. After I'm goin to crawl under and look at pump. Unplug connector and clean connector real good. Make sure it's kicking on and ohm it.

Where are the fuel relay so I can check those too.

You guys been great help so far. Just tryin to stay out of shop as much as possible. I can get a secondary pump for $350, but wanna check all before spending that much.

TD-5

Reaction score
Its in the power distribution box, LH side engine compartment, behind degas bottle. move the vacuum pump to access it. Mini Relay #18 feed from fuse 32.

Attachments

• 08-10 superduty power distribution box.jpg
    08-10 superduty power distribution box.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 88

Boyce604

Reaction score
With my ohm meter set at 20k I get .81 ohms. Did I set it right. My wife's not home so I can't have her turn key right now to listen for pump.

When I got up to start it. It instantly threw the wrench light. I swapped the relays around for the pump with the reverse lights and changed 20 amp fuse. It looked good but changed anyway. Truck seems to start everytime now and no light. The pump is kind of dirty so I'm goin to clean it and the connectors, drain water since I'm there and go drive it and see if it comes back on.

Boyce604

Reaction score
Well changed relay, fuse, cleaned connectors, and drained water. Truck started right up. Shut it off and restarted bout 4-5 times. No problem. Took it down road and let it get warm. Got home and shut it off. Restarted 4-5 times. Still no light. So hopin that was it. Thinking maybe relay was bad. There was quite abit of water in seperator so maybe gelled on cold night and cause strain making relay burn up. I'm hoping anyway. I'm goin to drive it more through the 2 days before she gets back from outta town and make sure it's good. She only uses truck to haul horse trailer so don't need it going down on side of road with a trailer hooked to it.

Thank you guys, keep fingers crossed that it's fixed.

Boyce604

Reaction score
Well didn't work. I came back out and started it then it died. I'm guessing pump is bad. Dosnt make since why I could start it so many times earlier after swapping relay?

Boyce604

Reaction score
It's the pump. I layed under there and brother turned key and nothing.was quite. Got truck started threw light on and shut off. So I layed under there and tapped on it with a hammer. Hit key and pump kicked on but sounded like crap. But cranked truck and fired up and no light. So I'm ordering a logo.

Where is best place to get one.

I found this one:

http://www.desmoparts.com/products/...fer-pump-ford-powerstroke-64l-diesel-08-10-f-

And can get filters at Oriellys to change both.

I started another thread on procedure to change it and filters?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i didnt know that you could actually replace the pump seperately from the rest of the unit, thats really good to know actually

Latest posts

Members online