2011 6.7 4x4 not engaging

Spartacus667

Reaction score
The dash says it's in 4x4 and I hearit shift into it from under the truck it sounds like but the front tires have nothing. I'm told possibly vacuum line issue but where do I look? Ford won't touch the truck because it's tuned.

JRLott

Reaction score
Manually lock the hubs. If it locks in and works, I think you're looking STS vaccum line issue. No clue where to look exactly.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
^ My thoughts exactly.

What you're most likely hearing is the transfer case engaging. But, that basically just connects your front diff gears to your transmission. If your hubs don't/aren't locked in (req's a good solenoid for auto ops), you won't have a connection from the diff/axles (which will spin b/c of the xfer case) to the wheel hubs/wheels themselves. Even with a newer truck, if you get water in the vacuum system there's a great possibility of it malfunctioning. Then, you end up replacing the vacuum solenoid, like JRLott was sayin, or you stick with manual hubs. Personally, I use alldatadiy.com for any actual issues, aside from tuning, that I have. It's insane how much great info is in there; especially for the price. You wouldn't want to carry around a Chilton with that much info. I can't imagine All Data wouldn't tell ya where the solenoid is located and the correct way to replace it; which should be pretty simple depending on location. I put Warn hubs on my ol 7.3. They were only manual so, I removed the solenoid in like two minutes and plugged the lines in another. Btw, the lines go to the hubs & if water gets in the solenoid, it gets in the lines, then in the hubs, & leads to premature hub failure. Just throwin that out the with the rest of this book.

- from farm to Air Force, from 7.3 to 6.7, still fairly new to PSA, diesel junky ever learning... "Life's hard, it's harder when you're stupid." - John Wayne ... I might screw that up once in a while, sorry if I do but, life happens lol

WHY NOT

Reaction score
There is a vac line that runs into the hubs, looks like another brake line except to the knuckle not the break. I would bet it popped off of there, it has happened to me a few times, 30 seconds to look and fix it.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Oh yeah, nice idea

- from farm to Air Force, from 7.3 to 6.7, still fairly new to PSA, diesel junky ever learning... "Life's hard, it's harder when you're stupid." - John Wayne ... I might screw that up once in a while, sorry if I do but, life happens lol

Spartacus667

Reaction score
So the tech was full of it when he said that even if I lock them manually, it won't make a difference because it's vacuum operated?

JRLott

Reaction score
Ummm, yes. If the tech is that stupid, I'd find another Ford house. There are two positions; auto and lock. Auto is locked via vacuum. Locked is locked via turning the fvcking hub center to lock. If it too depended on vacuum, there'd be no need for the selection at all, or it be labeled auto and...auto.

Spartacus667

Reaction score
Yeah he tried saying that my headlights blew the body control module because it messed with the voltage. He must not have saw the relay harness

JRLott

Reaction score
Dang. I feel sorry for you if that's the only/best Ford house in your area. I suppose it could happen, but seems that's awfully finicky for a factory setup.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Ha, yeah, that's ridiculous about the hubs. I have no idea about the lights but, it sounds far fetched even to me. There's um a lot I need to learn yet about the electrical systems.

"auto and...auto" lol

Smh, may just be that one guy at that particular dealership. *shrug*

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Engageso with hubs locked. Lines are on to the hubs and not broken
Does your first sentence mean that the system works when you manually lock the hubs?

Spartacus667

Reaction score
My bad, auto correct. Yes, it works with the hubs locked. The lines are all connected. Where is the vacuum pump location and what would be a good way to test it when you're in the middle of no where with limited tools haha. Might be stuck manually locking them till I get done with this job.

sootie

Reaction score
on top of the drivers side fender. you would feel it vibrate if it was working

WHY NOT

Reaction score
You can just leave them in lock all the time, won't hurt anything really. May just bring milage down a bit as long as the transfer case isn't engaged you are in 2wd yet just the front end is spinning. Just like a F-150 or any other manufacture that doesn't have the hubs you can lock anymore.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Vacuum pump will be going anytime the engine is running. It is no longer electric. Check and make sure your pvh solenoid is plugged in. It is on the back of the degas, plug is held to the master with a christmas tree. Seen quite a few come in where the degas has been pulled and thatplug got missed when reinstalling. Also check that the vacuum line from the solenoid block to the hubs is plugged in. It is more towards the fender, still on the back of the degas, and goes straight down.

Tim1216

Reaction score
Check your axle seals. When mine got ball joints my uncle (ford mechanic) replaced the axle seals and the auto hubs worked ever since. Mine were doing the same things you've listed. I always engage it every other week or so just to keep it fresh

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.