2014 F350 tuner pros and cons

monster14

Reaction score
So I am completely new to the diesel world so please excuse me if I am asking something that has already been discussed in the past. I have searched for hours and can't find anything concrete. I just bought a 2014 F350 and I've already put a 10" Fabtech 4 link kit on it and it is seriously a monster. The speedo is off due to the 40" tires and rather than spend money on a speedo calibrator I thought I'd invest the money in a tuner that will not only fix the speedo but give this beast a little more oomph. Now I know there are people out there that think it's crazy to want more power but at the end of the day we're all kids at heart and love things that go fast. That being said I am wondering what kind of long term negative effects adding a tuner might cause. Also, is it worth having a tuner if I leave the truck stock??? I talked to a service guy at Rudy's and he said it would back up the filter more frequently and it would be better to remove a few things and run a tuner. I am ok doing this as long as it's not gonna mess up my truck in the long run. I'm not too concerned with warranty so we can rule that out as an issue. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If you tune it you need to remove the dpf. If not it will regen a lot and get plugged eventually.

92f350cc

Reaction score
Depending on the state you live in, you won't be able to register the vehicle. If would fail emissions.

The EPA is cracking down, unfortunately. I don't know if anybody's actually been fined for deleting their DPF, but it is a hefty one supposedly.

It's a damn shame, really.

Emery19

Reaction score
Depending on the state you live in, you won't be able to register the vehicle. If would fail emissions.

The EPA is cracking down, unfortunately. I don't know if anybody's actually been fined for deleting their DPF, but it is a hefty one supposedly.

It's a damn shame, really.

unless your state does registration and inspection at the same time... most states registration and inspection is separate.. he can register his truck just fine, its the inspection that will get ya.

92f350cc

Reaction score
Are there states that let you register regardless of emissions?

Here you have to show proof of passing the smog test.

And yes, I knew about H&S. I was referring to individuals rather than the manufacturers/tuners themselves.

Emery19

Reaction score
Are there states that let you register regardless of emissions?

Here you have to show proof of passing the smog test.

And yes, I knew about H&S. I was referring to individuals rather than the manufacturers/tuners themselves.

yeah for sure. i know for example maine, first registration you just have to go to the town hall, but they don't ask.. and then you can re up your registration online after that. they don't ask if you passed inspection or not. its completely seperate.

dsberman94

Reaction score
No diesel emissions in PA is what I've been told. Gasoline emissions depend on what county you live in. And you have to show your proof of registration to get inspected or emission tested, but you don't have to be inspected or tested to be registered. For example, my truck is registered but not inspected.

Stroked777

Reaction score
a tuner will just void a warranty, other than that, they way you drive will determine how, quickly other item will fail. i come from the 6.0 and 6.4 world and if you tune those trucks you already plan on doing studs and head gaskets. deleting the dpf will also net better mpgs, and more power. if you watch the H&S ford breaking point you will see a stock truck can take some abuse.
no as far as emissions go, i know in NY you need and inspection every year but in NY its a safety only inspection, but they do look at the exhaust, if your lucky you could bring it to a dealer that deals with just cars and will maybe unfamiliar with a newer truck and pass it for you

14ccd

Reaction score
Diesels are exempt from emissions testing in PA. Also if your truck is over 9000lb GVWR, regardless of engine, you are emissions exempt in PA. There was talk about adopting Californias emissions rules in PA but no one has ever confirmed that, so I am not worried.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Where did you hear that? PA is one of the last states I would expect to have that crap.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Diesels are exempt from emissions testing in PA. Also if your truck is over 9000lb GVWR, regardless of engine, you are emissions exempt in PA. There was talk about adopting Californias emissions rules in PA but no one has ever confirmed that, so I am not worried.

cali laws (carb) are funded by the epa. once adequate testing is done on new standards, 50 states always follow. it will be sooner than later.

14ccd

Reaction score
Several Diesel shops in my area have been worried about Diesel emissions testing coming to PA for a couple of years. One in particular will not delete anything, emissions related EGR coolers or DPF on any truck because they are worried that the customer will come back and blame them, if PA were to adopt Californias stupid laws. My brother is a mechanic at the local Ford dealer and has never heard anything about Diesel emissions coming to PA. Those laws might come to PA but who knows if they will have GVWR limitations or not, we will wait and see.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Several Diesel shops in my area have been worried about Diesel emissions testing coming to PA for a couple of years. One in particular will not delete anything, emissions related EGR coolers or DPF on any truck because they are worried that the customer will come back and blame them, if PA were to adopt Californias stupid laws. My brother is a mechanic at the local Ford dealer and has never heard anything about Diesel emissions coming to PA. Those laws might come to PA but who knows if they will have GVWR limitations or not, we will wait and see.

while I agree cali has STUPID laws, the feds are asking cali to do all the legwork for them to ordain those laws. hell, Colorado had emissions on diesels before we did.

Latest posts

Members online