2015 blown 6r140 transmission

Strokersace

Reaction score
Well, it got me yesterday… truck had some sort of a rebuilt / replaced trans in it when I bought it a year ago. Yesterday morning, going slow, as I went to speed up leaving town I heard a loud bang and felt the truck lurch, then just revved. No forward or reverse at all. No abnormal noises. Driveshaft and rear axle good. Tried 4wd and still nothing. Suspect I snapped one of the shafts.

Anyone have a line on a built one for sale? Or good used stock unit? Will any 2011+ diesel trans work? If not what years do I need to be looking at?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That to bad! Sorry to hear!!

Did you rule out the transfer case? Maybe the chain snapped.

As far as I know the transmissions are the same, but the TC is different in the 15s and up.

If you do change the transmission you will need to put it in relearn mode as well as program the new shift solenoid numbers into the TCM. That will take Ford IDS. I do believe ForScan will do it as well. I know I was able to enter in transmission information with mine.

Strokersace

Reaction score
That to bad! Sorry to hear!!

Did you rule out the transfer case? Maybe the chain snapped.

As far as I know the transmissions are the same, but the TC is different in the 15s and up.

If you do change the transmission you will need to put it in relearn mode as well as program the new shift solenoid numbers into the TCM. That will take Ford IDS. I do believe ForScan will do it as well. I know I was able to enter in transmission information with mine.

Haven’t checked the TC. I’ll do that next week when I’m home. But my gut feel is it’s the trans

sootie

Reaction score
Aside from bolt pattern on the TC, any 6R140 trans will work. If staying stock, grab a 13-14 model trans.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Aside from bolt pattern on the TC, any 6R140 trans will work. If staying stock, grab a 13-14 model trans.
Thanks Ron. So a 13-14 trans, using the 15-16 TC?

I’ll do some more research on it when I’m back home. It literally happened on Friday morning while finishing chores and running a few errands before heading to the airport for a weekend trip! 🤦‍♂️

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks Ron. So a 13-14 trans, using the 15-16 TC?

I’ll do some more research on it when I’m back home. It literally happened on Friday morning while finishing chores and running a few errands before heading to the airport for a weekend trip! 🤦‍♂️
Correct. Don't forget to replace the trans cooler on the frame rail at the same time. (one thing i havent tried yet but would love to experiment is the TC from a current High Output truck. I hear that is the main difference in the power rating.)

Strokersace

Reaction score
Correct. Don't forget to replace the trans cooler on the frame rail at the same time. (one thing i havent tried yet but would love to experiment is the TC from a current High Output truck. I hear that is the main difference in the power rating.)
I’m going to text you in the next day or 2. Have some questions.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Curious on this, can't find much to read on the different years.

Higher clutch count or?

Here's one change. This was a copy and paste.

The first production valve body assemblies had one change made to them in ’13–’14. A damper location was cast in the lower valve body, but not originally finished to accept a damper piston. This changed in ’13–’14 when the valve body casting was machined to accept a third dampener piston assembly that is used in the “D” Low/Reverse solenoid output circuit. The separator plate was also changed to provide a feed hole to this piston and is identified with engineering stamping BC3P-7Z490-EE.

sootie

Reaction score
That plus on the 15+ units the direct cmitch count was reduced.