2015 tunes review IDP

tmk82

Reaction score
Currently running Idp tunes, 5 inch flopro with muffler, and s&b intake.

Overall pretty impressed with all tuning levels. There are some things that Im not as thrilled about, but may be part of the territory with the race tune:

Smokiness and weird shifting when Im in the throttle fairly heavy. smokiness is not the end of the world but I feel like the trans is getting extra abuse. Maybe the hot street tcm file with the race tune. Not sure if this is plausible given the extra power, but I absolutely love the trans file with the hot street.

Another thing is I get a code every once and again p0401 which is minor but still annoying. It doesnt affect anything just seeing it is a lil annoying.

Overall Im happy with the tuning and understand that these are still being improved upon. Fwiw my brother has 2012 deleted with a minimaxx and he said straight up that his truck wouldnt have a chance against mine.

Thought Id share. Feel free to add any feedback as well.

Thanks

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Since day 1 race tunes have been just that....race tunes. Nobody will ever sell one and tell you to daily drive it. The trans is tuned to shift at WOT...not going to get groceries.
There's a reason the converter locks in 2nd....

tmk82

Reaction score
I understand that side of it........The main issue for me the initial burst for WOT or close to is where I notice the goofy shifting. Everyday around town driving didnt really bother me on race tune. All the power on demand is alot of fun.
Just sharing my experiences....

borsky

Reaction score
I like mine, took a bit for the trans to relearn, but i like the shifting. I ran the hot street was quite impressed with the power. didn't like the smoke. I DD the street file, the shifting is the same just ZERO smoke and obviously less power. but still quick.

tmk82

Reaction score
Ive recently put it on the hot street file and LOVE the shifting there....... A lil less power overall but still plenty on demand for sure. I get a lil smoke but nowhere near the race tune.
Im still mesmerized at the power. My last diesel was a 99 7.3 LOL A lil different to say the least.

jwanck11

Reaction score
I DD the tow tune. No smoke whatsoever and shifting is excellent. I get a code too. p0402 I think.

borsky

Reaction score
I DD the tow tune. No smoke whatsoever and shifting is excellent. I get a code too. p0402 I think.

did u try do the firmware update? i believe that's the fix. my previous tunes were doing that. Then when i switched to IDP i did the firmware updates and no codes whatsoever.

Rule12b

Reaction score
I run the street DD and it seems fine. Can still be a tad laggy out of the gate, but it runs great. Tow tune was fine for towing but I threw a few codes for overcast, but I think it was a glitch. I might try the hot street considering how I drive. . .

higherlife

Reaction score
Since day 1 race tunes have been just that....race tunes. Nobody will ever sell one and tell you to daily drive it. The trans is tuned to shift at WOT...not going to get groceries.
There's a reason the converter locks in 2nd....

right........

And towing, if there isn't a trailer behind your truck it will be like "nope, going to bust some heads and throw some rods"
Street, if your offload, your truck will be like "asphalt?? ill delete myself bitch"...

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
right........

And towing, if there isn't a trailer behind your truck it will be like "nope, going to bust some heads and throw some rods"
Street, if your offload, your truck will be like "asphalt?? ill delete myself bitch"...

Can you try that again, just in English this time? lol

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have the same setup other then i run 4" with split dual exit & no muffler on mine & dd the race tune..I consider it an improved street tune & can't bring myself to be bored with any of the lesser files except the tow tune when the need arises.
It performs just as you say & it's so much better then stock & a fair amount better then superchips,i have no fear of having any mechanical issues from it as it's fairly mundane for what's called a race tune as i surely wouldn't race anyone with it.

JRLott

Reaction score
I love mine. Tow rocked pulling a 12k fifth wheel to Midland. Race was way too fun and got a hand calculated 17.6 running 80-100+ on the way back. Race & hot street try to get decent mileage (14.5-15ish) around town, but are hampered by my right foot. They are also a bit too smokey for me...again due to my right foot. Street seems to be excellent in town for my driving style. Trying tow in town now to see if there is any difference. If none or little, I'll go back to street for DD in town. I need to give hot street, street, and tow a shot at highway. For now race is my go to highway tune.

Shifting is as expected for the various tunes, IMO. I have no problem with it, but perhaps I'm not as refined as others.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Sentence structure, spelling and at least some cursory form of punctuation would help greatly. Your first post looks like an illiterate blind man wrote it. LOL

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
Im plenty happy with my PIP minus the few times it shifts retarded lol. But it isnt very often.

Heard IDP is pretty good, so it has me wondering though.

jwanck11

Reaction score
did u try do the firmware update? i believe that's the fix. my previous tunes were doing that. Then when i switched to IDP i did the firmware updates and no codes whatsoever.

Nope I have not updated the firmware. I will try that, thanks!

Do I have to return to stock prior to a firmware update?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.