4 wheel doesnt work

TARM

Reaction score
There is a small motor that shifts the transfer case. It could have a blown fuse or wire issue or be burned out. Also could have an issue where it attaches. Have never had to do it myself but you can manually shift it by reaching up there and moving it.

I for one will be swapping in a manual transfer case. As much as I would prefer not to have the shifter taking up room I want to know I have the best chance of reliability as well as being able to put it in neutral is a nice option to have.

DocBar

Reaction score
Tried putting it in 4 wheel drive and the light doesn't even come on, and it doesn't turn the wheels
Mine is doing that exact same thing again. I'm on my 3rd motor.

If you know someone who has a truck like yours, see if you can swap out the motors and test it. I would also check the wiring harness going to the motor for cuts or nicks.

I bought my replacement motors here.

TARM

Reaction score
Maybe if you are on your third he might want to buy a different brand LOL

Doc have you checked the lines with a multi and ohm it out etc. Make sure you do not have a ground issue that might be causing the motors to burn up. That and see how hard it is the manual move the level. Three seems like either really bad luck or something is up.

DocBar

Reaction score
Maybe if you are on your third he might want to buy a different brand LOL

Doc have you checked the lines with a multi and ohm it out etc. Make sure you do not have a ground issue that might be causing the motors to burn up. That and see how hard it is the manual move the level. Three seems like either really bad luck or something is up.
LOL! That brand is OE, I believe. It matched exactly with the original motor on the truck.

Checking that wiring harness out is on my 'to do' list, along with removing the POS copilot from ATS.

I've noticed that the motor will go bad on my truck right after I drive it through heavy rain where there's a good bit of water standing on the road. I'm not sure if it's a bad spot in the harness somewhere or the plug being bad.

Brian, have you checked for any codes? In a bit I'll post the codes I got on AE and tell ya what I was told by a trans guru about them.

DocBar

Reaction score
OK, here are the codes I got off of AE:

P1865: Transfer case contact plate short to ground
P1832: Transfer case diff. lockup solenoid ckt failure
P1876: Transfer case 2WD solenoid ckt failure

According to a transmission guru I called about this, all of these codes are in the motor, itself and not the transfer case.

This tells me that both me and the OP need to be looking at wiring harness issues before throwing a new motor at the problem.

Does anyone happen to have a schematic of this circuit?

brian89

Reaction score
I did check codes and i got nothing, but i haven't checked fuses yet and ill have to make sure the connector and wires are good, those connectors were hooked and unhooked quite a bit the past few weeks

DocBar

Reaction score
I did check codes and i got nothing, but i haven't checked fuses yet and ill have to make sure the connector and wires are good, those connectors were hooked and unhooked quite a bit the past few weeks
What did you use to check codes?

brian89

Reaction score
Well i finally got around to checking fuses and i have a good fuse, i put and ohm meter on it and got .1 ohm, but it does not have power to it, not sure where power comes from but it had no power flowing thru it, anybody know of a place for wiring diagrams online?

brian89

Reaction score
I'm sorry, it does have battery voltage thru the fuse, i was testing it wrong, and i swapped in another fuse and no dice

TARM

Reaction score
If you checked it at the motor connector and had power when you turned it on then it sounds like the motor. But find someone that really knows this stuff to confirm that because I am not that guy LOL.

Latest posts

Members online