4r100 valve body

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Ok guys ive had this e99 since 2009 and have always hated the way it shifted through the gears(shift flare I think is what it's called).ive always heard the e99 where the worse idk,but mine sure did stink.searched around and came across a valve body upgrade from John Wood and I have to say this really worked for my truck its about as perfect shifting sd truck I have been in,real firm and positive,but still doesn't break your neck.just wanted to share this with others.it's probally old news to everyone but I hadn't even heard about till I got to asking around.hope this might help someone in the future.

jbolen323

Reaction score
Best thing you can do is get rid of your xel4 pcm and go into a PMT or NVK pcm from a L99-00 truck.

That pcm has the worst tuning / shift strategies, that will fix it and also a good tuner.

You weren't getting a shift flare, just horrible shifting bangs due to the computer. Flares are a little different. Very common in the e99.

durflinger92

Reaction score
I thought tuners were so good that it doesn't matter what pcm code you have...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I thought tuners were so good that it doesn't matter what pcm code you have...

They are but in an original pcm/wiring config superduty you need an nvk or pmt pcm to utilize it. 01 or 02-03 7.3s are a whole different animal.

jbolen323

Reaction score
00-01 are pmt nvk and can usually get around between e99-01 pcm swaps. 02/03 are digital clusters with no more gem and the stupid vsm. 02 uses vdh family since i have it.

also the best thing i ever did on my e99 was swap to the late pcm, helped out so much even with tuning and a JW trans.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I've always been told I needed a late pcm and have always keep an eye out for one but have never been able to find one.I reckon the e99 was the worst on shifting and I can testify to that mine absolutely stunk but I kidd you not after this jw valve body its a whole different animal.I can live with my xle7 pcm,but if I run across a later pcm I will grab it....
sqrlgtr

durflinger92

Reaction score
I've been having the same problems with my e99 but haven't messed around with get a valve body yet

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I've been having the same problems with my e99 but haven't messed around with get a valve body yet

GO FOR IT.
I can't over emphasize how much it helped my truck.imo its better than some sd trucks I've been in that had the shift kits installed.I hope if u decide to install one it helps your truck also.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Fwiw I talked to jw via email before purchase.the truck never banged into gear but had a pause before going into gear between shifts.seemed like 2 sec.but probably wasn't that long.i am just trying to pass on my experience with others.if it had been a big steaming pile of dog chit i would have passed thatt on to.

sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Thanks,but I'm very satisfied with it now (No hesitation).just out of curiosity what does a good pcm go for now a days?

sqrlgtr

Latest posts

Members online