4r100?

Reaction score
Going to change trans fluid in a couple weeks and thinking about going with Shaeffers All Trans but havent heard anything good about using sythetics in this trans.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

neverkickn

Reaction score
Not to step on your toes Arisley but Brian Thompson advised me against it when I had a stock trans because the schaffers is so slick that the stock converter will slip more. He reccomended just the regular parts store atf.

neverkickn

Reaction score
What if you have a heavy duty converter

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Don't know as all I had was a stock converter at the time. I wonder if any additional slippage could be overcome with an increase in line pressure, but if that was a better way to go, then I suppose he would have suggested that instead....Mark is on, maybe he will chime in.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
I was advised the same by Brian. Either use his special blend of Schaffer or regular Dex/Mercon 3. I believe that Blowby uses regular as well. Brian said the synthetic will cause the clutches to slip in a high hp application. So regular it is till next oil change for me. Guess I need to call Brian for some oil soon. Lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My friend went to ford and for some reason they put mercron 5 in his then i called them and they said they dont make motorcraft mercron 3 anymore

From your mothers room Trebek

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Not to step on your toes Arisley but Brian Thompson advised me against it when I had a stock trans because the schaffers is so slick that the stock converter will slip more. He reccomended just the regular parts store atf.
I know this will sound like heresy, but if the fluid has a MERCON or MERCON V rating it is NOT slicker than non-synthetic. That's a myth and Brian is wrong if he is saying that.

Don't know as all I had was a stock converter at the time. I wonder if any additional slippage could be overcome with an increase in line pressure, but if that was a better way to go, then I suppose he would have suggested that instead....Mark is on, maybe he will chime in.
An increase in line pressure won't help the converter overcome slip. The converter pressure is regulated to 120PSI, so no matter how high line pressure goes the converter won't see over 120PSI.

I was advised the same by Brian. Either use his special blend of Schaffer or regular Dex/Mercon 3. I believe that Blowby uses regular as well. Brian said the synthetic will cause the clutches to slip in a high hp application. So regular it is till next oil change for me. Guess I need to call Brian for some oil soon. Lol.
You can get synthetics that are no more slippery than conventional oils. They have a MERCON V rating. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is one. If you are looking at #204S ALL-TRANS Supreme Auto Transmission Fluid http://www.schaefferoil.com/transmission-fluid.html it has a MERCON V and MERCON rating and will NOT be too slick for a stock transmission.

My friend went to ford and for some reason they put mercron 5 in his then i called them and they said they dont make motorcraft mercron 3 anymore
MERCON V is the right fluid. MERCON has been discontinued. There never was a MERCON 3 fluid.

When I got my fluid I got Merc v from the ford shop. That's what it said the 4r100 takes.
They are right. MERCON V is the right fluid.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I was told the same by BTS. Actually had 10 gallons of sheaffers in the shop when I called. It may be OK to run it but I take Brian at his word.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Just goes to show he doesn't know everything.

I don't think this proves that you or Brian is right or wrong. Just differing opinions.

If anything he gave me advice that he believed would.make my Trans live longer. I'm at 340k on.a stock unit cept BTS valve body.

That is why he will get all my Trans work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.