4R100

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
Hoping some of you folks could lend me a hand.

I have an 03 7.3 stock everything except intake, no lift, 285 tires. Previous owner had trains work done about 100k not sure exactly what, I know it was about 1300 at dealer. Truck currently has 191k.

This weekend I hooked it up to my new toy hauler 12.5 k dry, which it was dry. I have never pulled this trailer. I hooked up and pulled it forward about 10 feet. It was stuck in the ground from being parked over a year so I locked in hubs and pulled it out in 4 low.

Parked truck for night still hooked up and went home (trailer is stored). Jumped into it today. It shift second good seems to be pulling hard then ally he sudden no more go. Engine revs to about 3500-4k about 35 mph and that's it I can't go any faster.

I am scared to death the trans failed cause I don't have 3-4k laying around and the wife will be furious if we can't take out our new trailer.

I have no idea how to diagnose. I am not a mechanic but I am a body man so I am mechanically inclined.

Thanks,
Josh

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
Yes sir that was not hooked up to trailer. I only mover the trailer 10 ft forward then 10 ft back.

Also no flashing lights On dash, not to say the light might be burned out as my 4wd light is.

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
Yes, when I pulled out it was still in 4 low I unlocked the warn gold hubs and switched it to 2wd. If it was stuck in 4 low would it limit the speed to 35? How would I tell if it was still in 4wd?

From a standing start it pulls good to about 10 mph then it shifts good to second and continues to pull then at 35 mph it stops pulling and only revs past that point.

The stock gauge shows normal. I just got my new isspro gauges in the mail last week but have not hooked up yet

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
Oh good thought I switched it to 2wd while in park. I would be so happy if that worked.

I will try tomorrow and see what that does. Is 4 low limited to 35 mph? Never used 4 lowing any vehicle and I have owned other 4 wd for 20 years

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Yes, 4 low revs out around 35. You can check by trying to spin the front driveshaft by hand with the hubs unlocked. If it won't spin your in 4x.

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
Just as a follow up, had a buddy go so as you said and switch while in neutral (truck is at his house) said everything was well and got up to 60 no problem.

I really appreciate the help you guys really saved my a@$. Feel a bit stupid not know this but the extra money in my pocket makes up for the embarrassment

Thanks again

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Good deal. Glad it wasn't anything major.

Better to learn this way than drop a ton of cash on a transmission and find out afterward it was a simple fix.

Latest posts

Members online