6.0 A/C cycles on and off

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
At idle my A/C clutch cycles on and off with A/C on in the cab. Is this normal? If I bypass the pressure switch on the accumulator by jumping the connector the clutch continually stays engaged. A friend and I assumed it was the switch so I installed a new one. Still the same issue. I tried adding refrigerant, but no matter how much I try it wont let me add more than 25 psi. It's not getting very cold in the cab at all.

Gary

Reaction score
Yes its normal for the clutch to cycle. What is the low side and high side reading with the engine idling.
How are you reading 25PSI?
If you put freon in with a DIY kit then the system is probably overcharged.

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
Yes, it is a DIY kit with a gauge. It is 25 psi on the low side with the engine idling. I don't have the proper equipment to read the high side.

04cr450

Reaction score
More than likely you jumped out the high pressure switch- which would indicate a clogged condenser coil, txv restricted. Its not normal for it to cycle like that. Yes you need gauges to monitor the high and low side of the system.

Derkperk

Reaction score
Wrong again.
He clearly said he jumpered the switch on the accumulator. What side of the system is the accumulator on in your world???

And yes, the compressor clutch cycling is completely normal.

OP, you need to monitor both high and low sides before you just dump charge in. As Gary said, you may be over charged now.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

04cr450

Reaction score
I didn't realize he said that part my fault.... Ok so he jumped out the low pressure switch/loss of charge switch(its not a loss of charge switch because generally this switch is on the high side). The accumulator in "my world" is on the gas/low side of the system. Any other questions you would like ask me? Compressor cycling is certainly not normal from how he put. If it is cycling on and off from a pressure switch(which it sounds like) then that is not normal.

Stroked777

Reaction score
With my ac on in my truck the clutch will always stay on, only time it cycles is if the defroster is on and the a/c is turned off

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing, haven't had time to really look at it. I can feel it push cold air for about 5 seconds, then it gets not as cold for another 8-10 seconds, then another 5 seconds of cold, then 8-10 of warmer.... and back and forth. Kind of frustrating.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would say you low on r-134a mike or your clutch is slipping. Does it cycle on an off?

I had the low pressure gauge here from one of the cheap fill kits from advance auto, put it on and it said the pressure was good (little on the high end) so I don't think it's low on refrigerant. It seems to cycle on and off judging by the cold, then warm, then cold, then warm continuously. It's a pattern too, just keeps going on and off, on and off for a set amount of time. I know nothing about these HVAC systems! :biggun:

Latest posts

Members online