6.0 building fun daily driver light towing

Decker

Reaction score
Alright well I'll start off saying I'm a new member to the site but not new to site. I have come to y'all plenty for research and help with my 04 6.0 CCLB. Most of the time I can find all the answer I need in the forms. But now I'm looking to invest some good money into my truck. I want to build it right. I bought the truck as a project knowing it would need some work. Right now its pretty much stock except for egr delete, blue spring upgrade, edge evo tuner, and 4in turbo back to 5in stacks. Has leveling kit with 315/75/16 on 16x10s. Anyways I have a list of things I plan on doing AND would like some advice on parts for this build.

Like said before looking for a daily driver with little bit of towing. Only towing 25ft boat to and from water in summer and hunting trailer in Nov.

Right now I have a list of parts I'm looking to put in-
ARP studs
Powermax
170/50 injectors
FASS fuel pump
Oil cooler
SCT tuner with custom tunes
Gauges
58v ficm tuned
S&B intake
T500 HPOP

My questions are
Worth going with powermax or should I invest in a vgt ssx?

Injectors 170/50 - is 50 worth it or would a 30 to stock work better for the build?

Tuned FICM - atlas 40 or 80

HPOP - T500 or adrenaline

Also what kind of rwhp and torque could I expect?
Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to build this right and be reliable.
Thanks for everyone time.

Last edited:

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
Alright well I'll start off saying I'm a new member to the site but not new to site. I have come to y'all plenty for research and help with my 04 6.0 CCLB. Most of the time I can find all the answer I need in the forms. But now I'm looking to invest some good money into my truck. I want to build it right. I bought the truck as a project knowing it would need some work. Right now its pretty much stock except for egr delete, blue spring upgrade, edge evo tuner, and 4in turbo back to 5in stacks. Has leveling kit with 315/75/16 on 16x10s. Anyways I have a list of things I plan on doing AND would like some advice on parts for this build.

Like said before looking for a daily driver with little bit of towing. Only towing 25ft boat to and from water in summer and hunting trailer in Nov.

Right now I have a list of parts I'm looking to put in-
ARP studs
Powermax
170/50 injectors
FASS fuel pump
Oil cooler
SCT tuner with custom tunes
Gauges
58v ficm tuned
S&B intake
T500 HPOP

My questions are
Worth going with powermax or should I invest in a vgt ssx?- Neither. Get a KC or Barder turbo. They both make a stage 1.5 and 2 that would work great for you.

Injectors 170/50 - is 50 worth it or would a 30 to stock work better for the build? A 30% will dump all of the 175cc of fuel without a problem. The 50% nozzle will increase EGT's.

Tuned FICM - atlas 40 or 80 We do not recommend the 80 or the 100 for towing. The 40 works great as a DD or towing. Also, we can update the Edge EVO into a FICM tuner for you

HPOP - T500 or adrenaline I personally run the Adrenaline and love it!

Also what kind of rwhp and torque could I expect?175's and a stage 2 is in the mid to upper 500HP range
Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to build this right and be reliable.
Thanks for everyone time.

Responses in red

Last edited:

05wh250

Reaction score
As jeremy said, have them turn your edge into a ficm tuner, you'll have all 4 tunes and more data you can look at.

Also you should be able to supply those injectors with a stock oil pump, if it's a later style pump, not sure about the early model pumps.

Merc82

Reaction score
Skip the Powermax, as previously stated I would go with a stage 2 from one of the mentioned companies. I would go 190/30, you can always get them tuned to act like 155 or 175/30. I run a stage 2 VGT and 190/30Ss with pretty much everything on your list except the upgraded oil pump and the FASS, I enjoy it and still can tow comfortably.

Decker

Reaction score
Thanks for all quick responses
Yeah after spending the day researching the two different turbos ill probably end up going with the stage 2. Just need to figure out which one. Anyone have any opinion about one over the other?
I like the idea of the 190/30s just worried that it would get hot as a dd.

If I did turn my evo into a ficm tuner would I not need the atlas 40?

Last I'm upgrading the HPOP because right now at WOT I get a injector control pressure code. Not when I leave the line but when I lay on it when passing on expressway.
Again thank you for yall time

05wh250

Reaction score
You would have the atlas 40 but you would also have the 80 and Hercules along with the economy, you would be able to switch between them at will

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
I like the idea of the 190/30s just worried that it would get hot as a dd.

If I did turn my evo into a ficm tuner would I not need the atlas 40?

The cc size of the injector does not make it run hot. The nozzle size does. For example- you could run 190/30's or 190/stock and still tow with EGT's in check. The CC size can be "tuned down". BUT if you went, full retard and did stock injectors with a 100% nozzle like i've seen some idiots do:fustrate:, you would have a hot smokey mess.

And yes, if you had your Evo changed into a FICM tuner you would have ALL of the FICM tunes.

Decker

Reaction score
Alright well the 190/30s will probably be my best bet for what I'm looking to build.

Jeremy - how would i go about combining a sct with custom tunes with a ficm tuner? Im still confused about this. I have never used a ficm tuner before?

You said y'all could turn my evo into a ficm tuner. So if i just buy a 58v FICM i should get it set with Facotry program and i could have the tuner set for my choice.

Also how much would it cost and about how long would it take for you to change my eve into a FICM tuner?

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
Alright well the 190/30s will probably be my best bet for what I'm looking to build.

Jeremy - how would i go about combining a sct with custom tunes with a ficm tuner? Im still confused about this. I have never used a ficm tuner before?

You said y'all could turn my evo into a ficm tuner. So if i just buy a 58v FICM i should get it set with Facotry program and i could have the tuner set for my choice.

Also how much would it cost and about how long would it take for you to change my eve into a FICM tuner?

SCT tunes and FICM tunes are totally separate. Its 2 different modules. One changes the PCM and the other changes the FICM. Both tune through the OBD-2 port.

Updating your Evolution to a FICM tuner is done remotely though our Pegasus update software that you can download for free off of our site. You don't have to send it in. The tunes are the only thing that will cost you. Yours isn't a CS or CTS is it? We cannot change those because they have different firmware.

Decker

Reaction score
SCT tunes and FICM tunes are totally separate. Its 2 different modules. One changes the PCM and the other changes the FICM. Both tune through the OBD-2 port.

Alright well i understand they tune two different things. My question is how to run them? Would i plug in the ficm tuner set to my choice of setting then unplug and plug in the sct. Or could i get a dual obd port adapter and run both at the same time?

your Evolution to a FICM tuner is done remotely though our Pegasus update software that you can download for free off of our site. You don't have to send it in. The tunes are the only thing that will cost you. Yours isn't a CS or CTS is it? We cannot change those because they have different firmware.

i have the basic edge evo. Also just tried multiple times to download Pegasus. What program is needed to run pegasus? I have a mac so that mac be the problem?

pushbroom

Reaction score
I run rcd 175/75 and a stage 2 kc vgt. With my sled deck on and the truck weighing in at 12500lbs, I run about 700f on the pyro cruising. Daily drive the truck and it works awesome. When I first installed the injectors and turbo it was a smokey laggy p.o.s. Got custom tunes from innovative and I couldn't be happier. Solved all the lag issues and daily driving there is zero smoke. When you want power it boogies along pretty good.

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
Alright well i understand they tune two different things. My question is how to run them? Would i plug in the ficm tuner set to my choice of setting then unplug and plug in the sct. Or could i get a dual obd port adapter and run both at the same time?

i have the basic edge evo. Also just tried multiple times to download Pegasus. What program is needed to run pegasus? I have a mac so that mac be the problem?

The mac is most likely the problem. We have quite a few Apple folks that have issues with our software. I can't recommend the dual OBD plug as i've never tried it. I WILL add that I can't see any reason why you would want to leave both of them plugged in at the same time

Decker

Reaction score
I run rcd 175/75 and a stage 2 kc vgt. With my sled deck on and the truck weighing in at 12500lbs, I run about 700f on the pyro cruising. Daily drive the truck and it works awesome. When I first installed the injectors and turbo it was a smokey laggy p.o.s. Got custom tunes from innovative and I couldn't be happier. Solved all the lag issues and daily driving there is zero smoke. When you want power it boogies along pretty good.

What tunes you end up running? Do you tow with that set up?

Decker

Reaction score
The mac is most likely the problem. We have quite a few Apple folks that have issues with our software. I can't recommend the dual OBD plug as i've never tried it. I WILL add that I can't see any reason why you would want to leave both of them plugged in at the same time

Well guess that means I'll be buying me a new cheap computer just for tuning then.:fustrate:

But going back to the injectors if I was looking for more power in the future. Would the 190/50s get to hot and smokey for light towing every now and then?

william_ace

Reaction score
I have 205/100s right now and will be buying new ford remans and running 205-215/50s. I think with proper tuning that 50% nozzles are fine. I haven't run it personally, but my guess is that it will be a good combo.

pushbroom

Reaction score
What tunes you end up running? Do you tow with that set up?

Innovative tunes. Never really towed anything too heavy with it yet. Had some sleds behind it on a flat deck and it worked fine. Egts cruising are around 700f

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
Well guess that means I'll be buying me a new cheap computer just for tuning then.:fustrate:

But going back to the injectors if I was looking for more power in the future. Would the 190/50s get to hot and smokey for light towing every now and then?

To save you from buying a laptop you can just send your Evolution in and we can update it. Just return it to stock before shipping it to us.

I believe the 50% nozzle will work great for you!

Decker

Reaction score
To save you from buying a laptop you can just send your Evolution in and we can update it. Just return it to stock before shipping it to us.

Alright that would be greatly appreciated. Gonna have to wait few weeks though. Found out recently I will be deploying later in the year. And I will be heading to Fort Bragg for few weeks for training. So I'll be sending it in when I get back.

Decker

Reaction score
So ill be getting 190/50s with the KC stage 3. Im thinkng that will be a nice set up. But I will probably wait till I get back now till I toss it in.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So ill be getting 190/50s with the KC stage 3. Im thinkng that will be a nice set up. But I will probably wait till I get back now till I toss it in.

We have lots of guys running that setup and are VERY happy... BUT... we have a couple of guys that ended up dropping down to the stage 2 turbo. I am not bashing on the stage 3 but I like to give people as much info as possible.

190/50s and KC stage 3 68mm turbo should be right around 575-625hp with supporting mods. (big tires will lower the numbers). This is an awesome setup for those looking to be able to daily drive the truck and still race/drag/sled on the weekends. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR TOWING. We do have guys that tow with this type of setup but it becomes difficult. Once you get that big of turbo and injectors your setup will start to run a little hot (750-900egts cruising empty 70mph). Also the turbo will spool fine down low but it will run less efficiently and often leads to slight hazing under light throttle.

190/30s and KC stage 2 64mm turbo should be right around 525-575hp. It will drive awesome on the streets and tow max wight. The power comes on a little sooner with the stage 2 which is ideal for daily driving and towing situations... but it will be tough to hit the 600hp mark.

Stop light to stop light, 0-50mph... stage 2 wins
Track/dyno/sled, 0-100mph... stage 3 wins

Send me an email if you have any questions or need pricing. I can get you turbo/injector combo deals.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.