6.0 Crank and no start.....but theres more....

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Need some help guys....

My 05 has the whole nine yards for a 6.0. Heads have been checked and studded, erg delete, stc fittings, turbo drain lines etc. I have about 50k miles on all of that work.

I work the truck hard snow plowing, and the transmission finally gave up the ghost on one of our last storms. I limped it into the tranny shop under its own power. I had no engine issues whatsoever. In fact, since the motor work i have not had an ounce of trouble motor wise.

Fast forward a few days and the shop calls me. The owner is a family friend. He tells me the truck won't start after the trans was reinstalled. Said that the ICP and IPR were reading incorrectly, or something like that. He has a high end snap on unit and i believe he was pulling his info with that. Changed the icp and no dice. He then had a used spare IPR from his own personal truck that was functioning when removed so for ****s and giggles he installed it in mine.

Previous to installing the used IPR, he was getting a 0 reading. i believe he told me after installing it, he was over 1000? if that sounds right. and the truck fired up and ran.

When i went there to pick it up, i could tell the exhaust sounded different and not quite right, almost like it was skipping. drove perfect and had no lack of power tho.

This was last night and i picked it up as quickly as possible because we are in the midst of another huge snow storm. I was planning on putting a brand new ipr in but not before this storm.

Fast forward to tonight, go to start the truck and it fires right up. right away the gauge cluster says check gauge and i have no oil pressure. I shut it down and restart. truck runs for a few seconds and dies. proceeds to do it a few times.

Leads me to a few main points:

-WTF is wrong with my truck?
-could it be the IPR again? or was that not even the issue in the first place?
-did the transmission shop eff something up? previous to them the truck ran 110%
-What should my first course of action be?

Sorry for the novel. I'm at my wits end between all these snow storms and broken trucks/skid steers.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Need to check for lpo first. Take oil filter out and crank to see if you're getting oil. Next or maybe first, check all connections at transmission.

webb06

Reaction score
Need some help guys....

My 05 has the whole nine yards for a 6.0. Heads have been checked and studded, erg delete, stc fittings, turbo drain lines etc. I have about 50k miles on all of that work.

I work the truck hard snow plowing, and the transmission finally gave up the ghost on one of our last storms. I limped it into the tranny shop under its own power. I had no engine issues whatsoever. In fact, since the motor work i have not had an ounce of trouble motor wise.

Fast forward a few days and the shop calls me. The owner is a family friend. He tells me the truck won't start after the trans was reinstalled. Said that the ICP and IPR were reading incorrectly, or something like that. He has a high end snap on unit and i believe he was pulling his info with that. Changed the icp and no dice. He then had a used spare IPR from his own personal truck that was functioning when removed so for ****s and giggles he installed it in mine.

Previous to installing the used IPR, he was getting a 0 reading. i believe he told me after installing it, he was over 1000? if that sounds right. and the truck fired up and ran.

When i went there to pick it up, i could tell the exhaust sounded different and not quite right, almost like it was skipping. drove perfect and had no lack of power tho.

This was last night and i picked it up as quickly as possible because we are in the midst of another huge snow storm. I was planning on putting a brand new ipr in but not before this storm.

Fast forward to tonight, go to start the truck and it fires right up. right away the gauge cluster says check gauge and i have no oil pressure. I shut it down and restart. truck runs for a few seconds and dies. proceeds to do it a few times.

Leads me to a few main points:

-WTF is wrong with my truck?

-could it be the IPR again? or was that not even the issue in the first place?

-did the transmission shop eff something up? previous to them the truck ran 110%

-What should my first course of action be?

Sorry for the novel. I'm at my wits end between all these snow storms and broken trucks/skid steers.

When the cluster said check gauge was the oil pressure gauge at 0? If so check low side oil pressure like mentioned above.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
low side oil pressure was the culprit. plunger was open and not allowing low pressure oil to build resulting in a no start.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Where did the metal come from?

Not sure honestly. Motor has had no issues at all before this no start and now it seems like it's dropping an injector intermittently. I just don't have time to mess with it. The no start really shafted me in the middle of some big storms.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Not sure honestly. Motor has had no issues at all before this no start and now it seems like it's dropping an injector intermittently. I just don't have time to mess with it. The no start really shafted me in the middle of some big storms.

I hate to say this, but I bet you have a lifter coming apart

ghohouston

Reaction score
I find that hard to believe because the heads were at the machine shop about a year and a half ago. 40k miles since. All was perfect.

Lifters aren't in the heads, they're under them, in the block. And it's a pretty common thing on 6.0's. Hell I could be wrong, BUT it is common on 6.0's. Do some research if you don't believe me.

webb06

Reaction score
I find that hard to believe because the heads were at the machine shop about a year and a half ago. 40k miles since. All was perfect.

I wouldn't find it too hard to believe. Metal is coming from somewhere and if it has an intermittent miss it's probably a lifter

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.