6.0 electric question

muleday433

Reaction score
This morning on the way driving to work the ABS light came on and then all of the gauges lost power and all of the lights went dim. Finally my Ford F-250 6.0 diesel with 124,000 miles stop running. It currently has a Re-man Alternator and I'm thinking that is the problem.

Two questions: the easiest way to take the tension of the belt and the best replacement alternator with the correct volts. I know Ford parts are the best however do I really need to drop $536 for an alternator.

Any and all advice is welcome and thanks for the help.

Ritchie

Reaction score
Pull up on the belt by then tensioner. There's a small metal tab that will lock the tensioner in place that's sticking out underneath the tensioner. I have a new carquest* alternator on mine that I got at advance auto parts that they price matched for me from Amazon at $130. Voltage should be 13.4-14v depending on battery charge. Google metal tab tensioner for 6.0 and watch a YouTube video. It'll save you a lot of time. It did for me.

Last edited:

muleday433

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I saw that on You Tube from Rob's video but when I tried it on my 2003 Ford, it didn't work. Do you know that the same locking tab is on my 03?

As for the Alternator, I'll try what you did at my Advance parts store.

Zmann

Reaction score
if it's not there it's probably aftermarket

it's still not that hard to get the belt off

get er done ;-)

Reaction score
Like Zmann said, may have an aftermarket one. If it does, the tensioner should have a 1/2" square drive hole in it to put a ratchet in and pull up on so that the belt will come off.

muleday433

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I wanted to give a update on what the end results were. The alternator was a Re-Man Motorcraft 110 volts, and looked like it just came out of the box. It was tested and failed. I replaced it with an O'Rilley's with a lifetime replacement 130 volts alternator. In addition I had both of the batteries test and one of them had a dead cell. A couple of $$$ later, I'm back at the house.

The real headache was putting the belt back on the alternator. I didn't have the locking tab on the pulley so we had to do it old school. Even had to call my brother in law to come out for help. The end results were that belt got put on but I broke the plastic trim around the fan.

NOTE: Test drove was a success but the battery light was still on. I drove it back to the house and tighten all of the connections and the light was gone. Now any suggestions on getting a replacement fan cover when I do the EGR ******?

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Easiest way to do the belt it to take the bolts out of the alt with your weight on it and then tip it forward. To put it on slip the belt on the pulley and lean it back over and put the back bolt in

looking up parts

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
Good way to crack the intake manifold too though. I have seen several at my work with cracked manifolds because people used the bolts to pull the alternator back down on to the manifold. Also, the manifold is made of aluminum, easy to strip. Just use a half inch rachet or pull handle.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online