6.0 missing above idel

jake74

Reaction score
My father in law has an 06 f250 that has 46000 miles on it. It idles perfect but once you give it any throttle it sounds like it hitting the rev limiter and puffs black smoke then it will start fluttering and missing but once you let off the throttle it goes to idel and runs perfect. What could be the problem? There's no cel on.

Gary

Reaction score
More than likely a injector, but look at FICM voltage, check all your connectors on the injectors.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Wouldnt it also idle like crap if it had injector failure?

Im thinking old school here and maybe its not getting enough fuel to run beyond idle. Clogged filters or fuel pump issue maybe.

Deffinatly could be computer related. X2 on checking the ficm.

sootie

Reaction score
have you pulled any codes?

check ficm main power (>12v)
check ficm output (>47v)
check fuel pressure (>50psi
check icp, or unplug the icp pigtail and see if it changes anything (that will force it to a default map instead of using the sensor)

how long does it crank before it starts. (thinking hpo leak)

if you can get it to a good scanner, do a contribution test. sounds like the fact is doesnt throw a CEL makes me lean toward an injector.

jake74

Reaction score
have you pulled any codes?

check ficm main power (>12v)
check ficm output (>47v)
check fuel pressure (>50psi
check icp, or unplug the icp pigtail and see if it changes anything (that will force it to a default map instead of using the sensor)

how long does it crank before it starts. (thinking hpo leak)

if you can get it to a good scanner, do a contribution test. sounds like the fact is doesnt throw a CEL makes me lean toward an injector.

When you first crank it it has to spin for a while but after it warms up it fires right up every time you hit the switch.

sootie

Reaction score
what is the ambient temperature where you are?
when the motor is hot does it do the same thing?

jake74

Reaction score
what is the ambient temperature where you are?
when the motor is hot does it do the same thing?

70 degrees right now. It gets better as it warms up. When I hold it to the floor when it warms up it builds 20psi of boost just sitting still in park. Should it build boost just sitting still? I thought it would need to be under a load to build boost?

sootie

Reaction score
ive never seen that much boost in park. is this truck straight piped? if not, i would check the catalytic.
the other thing i have seen cause some funky boost readings is a faulty ebp sensor.

jake74

Reaction score
ive never seen that much boost in park. is this truck straight piped? if not, i would check the catalytic.
the other thing i have seen cause some funky boost readings is a faulty ebp sensor.

It's completely stock.

Latest posts

Members online