6.0 Valve Guide Wear

LReiff

Reaction score
Recently we've been seeing alot of valve guide and valve stem wear issues. Mileage on the engine seems to play no role in the wear patterns we've seen. I'm not sure where these issues are stemming from, if it's new oil formulation or simply lack of maintenance. Has anyone found certain oil additives to accelerate or inhibit wear?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are these on trucks with manual transmissions?

I have only seen abnormal wear on engines that rev high, such as manuals. Very rarely do I find an auto with stem wear. but this is why I send EVERY 6.0 head to the shop. If its not cracked, its warped, if its not warped the stem are shot... always find an issue

LReiff

Reaction score
All have been auto trucks. The last set we had off had two intake valve stems worn .005" on one side.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
valve guide wear is a major problem with 6.0L heads. i have seen no rythme or reason to it either. i have a pair of heads at my shop of a 2003 truck with 33,000 miles on them that need 21 valve guides total and another pair off a 2004 with 140,000 miles that need 16. every pair of heads weve ever had off a 6.0L have needed atleast a few guides. i heard there was a TSB from ford a while back pertaining to valves sticking in the guides on trucks sitting on the dealer lots for extended periods of time.

Latest posts

Members online