6.0 won't start

jonnysteals

Reaction score
My 6.0 was running fine until today. I parked it to run into the store real quick and now it won't stay running. It cranks and starts but sounds like its only running on a few cylinders. The rpms start dropping and the truck dies. I used my sct to check for codes and it's says none. I got it out of the parking lot by clearing the codes. It ran and drove fine back to the house. Now it won't restart. I pulled the front fuel filter and it's getting fuel. I got it to start once more by clearing the codes. While running I noticed the rpms were bouncing 200 rpm. While running it sounded fine besides the rpm fluctation. No smoke, oil fine, revs fine.

Any suggestions it currently will crank, fire and sound like running on two cylinders and slowly die. No effect if I floor it and won't start even after clearing codes. I have no scanner either. Ficm 2-3 years old. Any help is great I currently have no clue have a buddy coming tomorrow with his Ficm to swap in.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
More info. Has between 1/4-1/2 tank. Also has the egr it hasn't been deleted. I'm guessing that since it starts and dies both the lpop and hpop are OK. Has 15k on fuel filters. Around 2k on oil. Which is 5w40 valvoline extreme blue. Right around 134k on truck. Tommorow I plan on unplugging the egr valve and see if it changes anything. All help is appreciated. I don't have a spare vehicle.

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
What Nic said. It could by the FICM. Is it smokey. I would check the FICM voltage before going through the trouble of switching it out.

Sent from my ADR6400L

jonnysteals

Reaction score
Zero smoke. Last time my ficm went it was very smokey when first started. I don't have a volt tester. That's offshore in the shop but my trucks stuck at a different location. It should only take 15 min to swap ficms anyway.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Computer, computer and RevX!!! Lol. Sorry for my humor. So 15k on fuel filters?? Really. I personally would not do to my truck. So stop guessing and get a computer on it asap. I'm in Portland area if you need me. I'm completely mobile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

06Mud_Slut

Reaction score
From experience after waiting two week before I went to a shop with a scanner, you should go. That way you'll know for sure before spending any money. The diagnostic is going to get done no matter what so might as well do it before you start taking stuff apart or throwing money at it. Go to a reputable Ford dealer, they'll tell you exactly what it is.

jonnysteals

Reaction score
I believe I got it figured out. My fuel pump was periodically not working. Put new filters in and drove it for 30 min running great. Get back to my shop to close it up and was running like crap. Pulled top fuel filter and dry. Put my spare fuel pump in and it seems to be running fine again. I stink like diesel but hope that's all that was wrong. Thanks guys. Weird that some times pump worked other times it wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Members online