6.0 zf6 builds! What's your setup?

obsdan

Reaction score
I have a 4" dp and 5" exhaust fits no problem and sounds more badass than my old 4"

turboTwang6

Reaction score
it's been a while, but i'm finally getting around to building my engine, i've got two cores to build from, pretty much which ever one has the better bore. but im building this to work on it.

16465350177_703c4d01e4_c.jpg
IMG_20150227_164338297 by my04cclbstroker, on Flickr

and after a long search i finally found a billet stage two from colt. and so it's here too. springs and rods are in the mail now. i guess, that ford doubled the price of their cams, so geoff couldnt keep up with the demand he's got for cams. the next batch he should have out to his retailers around april.

16465353157_74f73e8475_c.jpg
IMG_20150226_164009255 by my04cclbstroker, on Flickr

the rest of the bottom end is gonna be balanced, and sticking with the rest of my current goodies other than a set of 175or190/30's.

Are you going to have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons with that Colt stage 2? I have searched and searched and all I have found is conflicting information on whether the pistons should have valve reliefs, i'm not sure what to believe.
-Matt

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Well... I've had a pretty irrefutable deal fall in my lap; may be switching some things up on the truck. Wasn't ready for changes quite this big yet - but I don't think I'll find another deal like this anytime soon.

Truck may be getting a Barder Stage 4 and 225/100s. As far as I know, I don't think anyone running a ZF6 has done a 71mm VGT turbo yet. I'm a little concerned, as those who have handshakers and have Stage 3 turbos (68mm) can't get it to really light until 2400~ish RPMs. I'm used to this MadMax coming on around 1700 RPM.

Anyone have any thoughts?

sootie

Reaction score
Well... I've had a pretty irrefutable deal fall in my lap; may be switching some things up on the truck. Wasn't ready for changes quite this big yet - but I don't think I'll find another deal like this anytime soon.

Truck may be getting a Barder Stage 4 and 225/100s. As far as I know, I don't think anyone running a ZF6 has done a 71mm VGT turbo yet. I'm a little concerned, as those who have handshakers and have Stage 3 turbos (68mm) can't get it to really light until 2400~ish RPMs. I'm used to this MadMax coming on around 1700 RPM.

Anyone have any thoughts?
what injectors were you running to get the numbers in your sig?

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Right, well... that settles that. I guess be on the lookout for a Barder Stage 4 for sale, as well as 225/100s from another PSA member. He may or may not put them up for sale here. I know that he already had someone interested in his injectors.

william_ace

Reaction score
Man, I don't think you'd like the 71mm and 225s. It's just too big IMO. I realize our gear ratios are a bit different with me being on 35's, but as you said previously, my 68mm with 205/100s doesn't light until 2300 rpms. I really really want to try out a compound set up and see how it does with the ZF6.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Man, I don't think you'd like the 71mm and 225s. It's just too big IMO. I realize our gear ratios are a bit different with me being on 35's, but as you said previously, my 68mm with 205/100s doesn't light until 2300 rpms. I really really want to try out a compound set up and see how it does with the ZF6.

Buy these turbos

Morgan's selling a 62 and 78. You'll need the plumbing, but those turbos would probably spool very well on our setup. I was eyeballing them for a while - but I'm done. Gonna finish up the sound system and interior, then call it quits.

EDIT: And he's in College Station, TX

Last edited:

djberg

Reaction score
Are you going to have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons with that Colt stage 2? I have searched and searched and all I have found is conflicting information on whether the pistons should have valve reliefs, i'm not sure what to believe.
-Matt

yeah when i called geoff he said nothing about needing fly cutting. though i really need to get off my ass and get this motor done. though the whole house buying thing/ moving has been killing me.

djberg

Reaction score
Ok boys, so I still haven't built that core that's sitting in my garage, the build keeps getting pushed off and the plan keeps evolving.

But in the middle of all the chaos this year of hauling sheds and remodeling the new house I did get into some nasty stiction, even while running synthetic rotella.

So originally planning on a good clean set of stockers, Kyle @ Warren talked me into a set of 155/30's, then I said to hell with it and went 175/30's...

So now I'm looking for a second tow tune option, and obviously the tuner must be able to tune plugged port style injectors. And as we all know 99% of the damn custom tunes are based off autos, it's been fun annoying kyle to get the tuning where I want it. Jesses race file is down right stupid, and can be pushed farther with ficm tuning, but I'm not 100% with the tow file, and I hate constantly heckling kyle to tweak the tuning. So I figure what the hell let's see who else can do what.

stroked21

Reaction score
i got a 04 ccsb king ranch with 205/75 warrens, t4 pipes, s366 box turbo, a1000,4" downpipe and 5" out the back, south bend 3250 dual disk,fan ******,stock hpop and intake manifold for now and I'm loving it, the south bend is way better then my old clutch for pedal strength and engagement, full spools around 1800 with warrens tunes, just finished this set up so haven't dynoed it yet but will soon, anybody want how the stage 2 colt cams are for these trucks with the zf6? looking to get one at some point

i was thinking just from my stand point when i swapped my truck from auto to stick i could get on boost a lot fast then the auto and my auto was fully built before i took it out, im thinking because you can actually "lock out" every gear your self when its under load its a lot easier to build boost, then having it wait for the motor to rev up and get on boost, when i put the non vgt in i didn't even notice a different in lay time thought it was actually better and now it pulls wayyyy harder in the top end then it ever did just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Strokin89

Reaction score
I was just reading back threw this thread and realized that some words are gone? A couple have ****** instead of the word. Anybody know why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I was just reading back threw this thread and realized that some words are gone? A couple have ****** instead of the word. Anybody know why?

EPA

Strokin89

Reaction score
Ok so I finally got some new tires. They are 37x13.50r22 toyo open country mt's. Since i am running stock 373 gears What would be a good gear ratio to swap to? I don't want it to be a dog off the line and I don't want it screaming at 70 on the highway. I was thinking 4.10 or 4.30

Latest posts

Members online