6.0L Transplant Questions

Sniper32

Reaction score
I tried putting this in 6.0 Tech but got nothing...maybe ill have better luck here.

Ok yall, so Ive been dreaming of starting a project for awhile now, and with any luck i should be able to get started next year. BUT i need to figure a few things out first. primarily powertrain...

Im wanting to transplant a 6.0L into an old truck for a resto-mod, but would like to keep the interior close to original style...which means no modern guage clusters. I had a thought about using a 6.4, but talking to a few buddies that would need the cluster to work.

So my question is, Can I transplant a 6.0 into a older vehicle WITHOUT having to use the OEM cluster. The replacement will be a Dakota Digital cluster that has an OBDII port and has ports for all necessary sending units.

let me know what you think, thanks again
Jon

gwunter

Reaction score
Check out the 78 bronco with a 7.3l in the "projects" forum. Its not exactly what your looking for but real close.

Sniper32

Reaction score
yeah its similar, and defintely an interesting project. BUT that doesnt help me with the 6.0L question. completely different electrical systems, injection systems, etc.
I just need to know that a 6.0 can be wired upto a "universal" cluster, bcs as i said ive been told on 6.4s the cluster plays "middle man" between the computers. And yes i know they are completely different systems as well.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Check out the 78 bronco with a 7.3l in the "projects" forum. Its not exactly what your looking for but real close.
Not even close to the same...
yeah its similar, and defintely an interesting project. BUT that doesnt help me with the 6.0L question. completely different electrical systems, injection systems, etc.
I just need to know that a 6.0 can be wired upto a "universal" cluster, bcs as i said ive been told on 6.4s the cluster plays "middle man" between the computers. And yes i know they are completely different systems as well.
Leadfoot diesel and PSE come to mind. Both have put 6.0s into older Fords. Have no idea what they did for the dash electronics though. Wish I did.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Not even close to the same...

Leadfoot diesel and PSE come to mind. Both have put 6.0s into older Fords. Have no idea what they did for the dash electronics though. Wish I did.

IIRC Elite was apart of another build on a High Boy with a 6.0

matt92idi

Reaction score
Someone did a 6.0 swap in a 89 f250 I believe. There are some videos of it on YouTube and maybe you could track down the owner

Sniper32

Reaction score
I heard back from LeadFoot but they couldnt really tell me much bcs they did it so long ago. When they did it they needed to cluster to get it to run, but said there may be a standalone unit available...but arent sure.
I reached out to PSE and Elite but didnt get anything back from them! I guess if they dont know you, youre not good enough

Does anyone have any PERSONAL experience with this? I know there have been plenty of 6.0Ls put into mustangs and other trucks; so someone has to know

Strokersace

Reaction score
pm Wayne on here. he has experience with such things.
He also did the SD interior and dash swap too. Same thing Dustin is doing. Not he nor myself nor a lot of people want to do. Old dash and interior with modern power and drive train is what I'd personally want.

Injected79

Reaction score
we did a 6.0 swap into a 79 crew cab ford, and from our research we had use the newer style dash for the same communication reason of the 6.4, you also need the abs module to be plugged in or it can cause some shifting along with speedometer issue.

genuineford

Reaction score
I believe I remember reading somewhere that if you use an 03-04 pcm and wiring you do not need the gauge cluster. In 05 ford started using CAN bus on the super duty's and then you need the cluster for it to talk to, before that it was just analog. I have never done one of these conversions but I did do some research on them so take my info for what it is. I am planning a project like this also. I figured that if I did need the gauge cluster I would hide it behind the dash and use whatever gauges I wanted for the dash.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I reached out to PSE and Elite but didnt get anything back from them! I guess if they dont know you, youre not good enough

Or I dunno, could be that they are busy running a business and didn't have time yet to answer questions on something that doesn't pertain to keeping their doors open, employees employed, bills paid and customers happy. In other words I'm sure it wasn't a top priority to them. If I had a dime for everyone that called here and wanted to play 20 questions about their "project" for 30 minutes or more on the phone I could have retired by now.

Last edited:

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Or I dunno, could be that they are busy running a business and didn't have time yet to answer questions on something that doesn't pertain to keeping their doors open, employees employed, bills paid and customers happy. In other words I'm sure it wasn't a top priority to them. If I had a dime for everyone that called here and wanted to play 20 questions about their "project" for 30 minutes or more on the phone I could have retired by now.

Amen. I feel like that was a pretty bold statement based on one email. Easy on them. They have other things to do than answer your questions.

Shortycummins02

Reaction score
For those that have actually attempted this, do you have any pics or info on what was done for engine mounts? I've got the engine set in the hole (06 engine into a 1990 f350) but I've only got about 4 inches from the block to the engine crossmember. Any help or ideas? I can get picks too.

scparrish

Reaction score
I have an early build and was in middle of doing something that required my dash to be torn apart. I had to run to the auto parts store and didn't have my gauge cluster installed and suffered no issues. Just thought I would throw that out there.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just read about the lead foot truck in this thread, but I'm fairly certain they dropped that old body and bed onto the frame of the 6.0. I could be wrong but I think that's what they did with it.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Just read about the lead foot truck in this thread, but I'm fairly certain they dropped that old body and bed onto the frame of the 6.0. I could be wrong but I think that's what they did with it.

There has bee a few swaps where the floor and firewall were cut out and left on the frame. Then the older body having the firewall and floor cut out and then dropped onto the newer floor and chassis. Then you get the new interior and a lot less headaches with wiring. Just fill the gaps with some sheet metal work and weld it up.

Sniper32

Reaction score

Sorry for the time span between posts, I've been out of the country and for some reason PSA won't let you post in other countries! I don't know... but as for my post I wasn't meaning direspect, I don't remember exactly why I was being so blunt, but I completely understand your point. I apologize if I came off like a douche!