6.4 Engine Rebuild

justa03

Reaction score
Hey guys just looking for some advice on which way to go. Looking to rebuild my motor vs replacing it with a reman of some sort. From what ive gathered so far seems like the Internation HD pistons are the way to go. Are the total seal rings worth it or does a guy just go with stock piston rings? The ceramic coating really needed on a diesel application? Im looking just to make a dependable driver/tow rig. Truck has 184k on it right now and starting to get quite a bit of blow by and seems cyls 2 and 8 are getting a bit low on compression according to relative compression test. Just looking to get a list/estimate on what I am gonna be spending in the near future. Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
do an actual compression test not just relative...

hd pistons are the best bang for buck and regular rings are fine. ceramic coating is not needed unless running hot tunes and/or bigger fuel.

Hit up Morgan @ Midwest Diesel for some options

justa03

Reaction score
When I bought the truck cyl 2 I wanna say was down 40-60 if I can remember right. I know its getting low on compression, turbo is starting to get laggy and it was run on a H&S hot tune for a good while by the previous owner and Ive had it on ********s hot tune for over a year now. Trucks been fine just know that the time is coming.

Latest posts

Members online