6.4 engine removal cab on turbos on

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Ok it's been long standing that you cannot remove a 6.4 without raising the cab or removing turbos. I just did a job on one and removed and installed the engine turbos on cab on.

I started by removing the intercooler, other coolers, core support, and radiator with upper and lower shrouds attached. Then removed fan, rear part of shroud and other accessories on front of engine. Removed a/c compressor, took out big bolts on motor mounts, disconnected fuel lines, removed tq converter bolts and bell housing bolts. Disconnected down pipe top and bottom, unhooked harnesses and hoses, removed driver battery and degas bottle/battery tray. Remove the vgt actuator, fuel cooler, and turbo "u pipe" (whatever it's called LOL) and bracket. I'm sure there are other nic nacs to disconnect I left out.

Oh it's a good idea to unhook the egt sensor on pass side up pipe and secure the pig tails out of the way. I didn't and it snagged and pulled wires out of plug.....

The vgt actuator coolant hoses can all be left hooked up and laid to the side.

The only lines I disconnected other than radiator hoses and heater hoses were the trans cooler, fuel and a/c. The other coolers have enough line to lay aside. Power steering pump, lines, and jug can be laid to the side as well.

I removed the front turbo hold down bolt and took the hold down piece out. I stretched a 3/8 chain link a tad so the hold down bolt would fit and put it back in with the chain to lift with.

Lifted the engine up and removed the engine side of the motor mounts, the top rear bolts are kinda a pita...

Once the mounts are out I lowered the engine a little and used a 58" pry bar hooked in the harmonic balancer to lean the engine forward. Coming up and forward with the engine while keeping it tilted forward to get the up pipes and egr pipe clear of the firewall. It is tight and kinda a pita coming out just be patient and keep wiggling, pulling, lifting, and leaning it forward. It will come out. 2 people makes it a lot easier.

596b823462729208cbc722fddc5ffb5f.jpg

dde22d14c4a30b4ddf68c9dfbbb13928.jpg

Installing the engine is much much easier because you can actually let the lower part of oil pan lightly sit on cross member. tilt engine forward to work pan back till it drops over cross member and once it's low enough for pipes to clear firewall you can allow engine to level out. If you are still running stock down pipe lower engine down on cross member with it sitting as far forward as you can and slide the up pipe in from the bottom and hook on turbo. Then stab to trans, lift engine back up and reinstall engine mounts to block and set engine down in place. Then put all the goodies back on.

f774a823433f9e8a71481f8b77f3e6f4.jpg

2e6c499fbe668f4de2390126bd00a02e.jpg

5f997edcb54ac013d69aceb7ab2118b7.jpg

80e300eec073143b277778de0f03d36b.jpg

3be296d3b7c1532b2683bccf116e876a.jpg

41465fd81f2fa062a812ef80576e5c8e.jpg

c0cf18a60e892d25a9de33d051b8a5f1.jpg

There it is, I know a lot of rambling but tried to thorough as I could...

Pulled the engine start to finish in 4 hrs, re installed and had it running in about 5 hrs...

sent from the best place on earth! TEXAS!

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Once you get the engine out it's also not a bad idea to zip a couple screws into the upper firewall insulation to keep it from sagging so bad...

Oh and matco offers a 10mm socket that is like a spline drive that catches the flats of the bolts better so your less likely to round off the turbo-up pipe bolts. Definitely worth the dollars to get it.

It's like this but 10mm...

bde08bcc963ebc1fa29e83e69ad8563b.jpg

Last edited:

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
If you have removed the egr pipe and swapped pass up pipe for one without egr provision it will make it a good bit easier

Rubenk

Reaction score
Good Info! You could always jack the cab up a few inches to make it that much easier as well. I can raise mine 4 inches just by dropping the front 4 cab bolts, loosening the rear, and raising it up. Thats how I get at the turbos and HPFP.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Ok it's been long standing that you cannot remove a 6.4 without raising the cab or removing turbos. I just did a job on one and removed and installed the engine turbos on cab on.

I started by removing the intercooler, other coolers, core support, and radiator with upper and lower shrouds attached. Then removed fan, rear part of shroud and other accessories on front of engine. Removed a/c compressor, took out big bolts on motor mounts, disconnected fuel lines, removed tq converter bolts and bell housing bolts. Disconnected down pipe top and bottom, unhooked harnesses and hoses, removed driver battery and degas bottle/battery tray. Remove the vgt actuator, fuel cooler, and turbo "u pipe" (whatever it's called LOL) and bracket. I'm sure there are other nic nacs to disconnect I left out.

Oh it's a good idea to unhook the egt sensor on pass side up pipe and secure the pig tails out of the way. I didn't and it snagged and pulled wires out of plug.....

The vgt actuator coolant hoses can all be left hooked up and laid to the side.

The only lines I disconnected other than radiator hoses and heater hoses were the trans cooler, fuel and a/c. The other coolers have enough line to lay aside. Power steering pump, lines, and jug can be laid to the side as well.

I removed the front turbo hold down bolt and took the hold down piece out. I stretched a 3/8 chain link a tad so the hold down bolt would fit and put it back in with the chain to lift with.

Lifted the engine up and removed the engine side of the motor mounts, the top rear bolts are kinda a pita...

Once the mounts are out I lowered the engine a little and used a 58" pry bar hooked in the harmonic balancer to lean the engine forward. Coming up and forward with the engine while keeping it tilted forward to get the up pipes and egr pipe clear of the firewall. It is tight and kinda a pita coming out just be patient and keep wiggling, pulling, lifting, and leaning it forward. It will come out. 2 people makes it a lot easier.

596b823462729208cbc722fddc5ffb5f.jpg

Installing the engine is much much easier because you can actually let the lower part of oil pan lightly sit on cross member. tilt engine forward to work pan back till it drops over cross member and once it's low enough for pipes to clear firewall you can allow engine to level out. If you are still running stock down pipe lower engine down on cross member with it sitting as far forward as you can and slide the up pipe in from the bottom and hook on turbo. Then stab to trans, lift engine back up and reinstall engine mounts to block and set engine down in place. Then put all the goodies back on.

There it is, I know a lot of rambling but tried to thorough as I could...

Pulled the engine start to finish in 4 hrs, re installed and had it running in about 5 hrs...

Why did you have to pull the motor?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
its not that the motors cant be pulled out the front it just doesn't make sense time wise for an actual shop to pull it out the front.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive pulled a chit load of motors, got em down with pulling cab on the 6.4 to about 2.5 out and 3.5-4 back in depnding on how much the trans an motor mounts fight me going back together. This is on normal trucks though, if you gotta go chasing wires all over the place this may be a better option. Only issue i can possibly see is the firewall insulation. Seen plenty of these catch fire when people *** chit up doing stuff cab on.

Latest posts

Members online